No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Hogan gets caught drinking and generally being a nong this close to the start of the season and now he's depressed.

Next time I stuff up at work I'll just say I'm depressed and ask for a week off. See how that goes.
Could be, but could also be that he uses alcohol to medicate his anxiety...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be, but could also be that he uses alcohol to medicate his anxiety...

Some footballers do indeed suffer from depression.

But in many cases it is "depression".

The second alternative is the reason Melbourne flicked him.

On a side note, the cynicism of the AFL shits me to tears. Routinely uses "depression" or "mental health issues" as a smoke screen for drug use, and everybody knows it. And apparently gives not a care about the damage that does to players who actually do suffer mental health problems, or indeed the wider community of sufferers. Arseholes.

On a side note, the cynicism of the AFL shits me to tears. Routinely uses "depression" or "mental health issues" as a smoke screen for drug use, and everybody knows it. And apparently gives not a care about the damage that does to players who actually do suffer mental health problems, or indeed the wider community of sufferers. Arseholes.

Not sure that everybody knows that, but most would be thinking that.

Have we blended the two situations into a ; If you're using drugs, you therefore have a mental illness?

Not sure that everybody knows that, but most would be thinking that.

Have we blended the two situations into a ; If you're using drugs, you therefore have a mental illness?

Same logical validity as "I have seen a black cat, therefore cats are black".

In any case, nobody would have a problem with mention of underlying mental health issues associated with drug use; either as a contributing factor or as a consequence. It's the direct substitution of one for the other, for no better reason than the AFL obsession with "the optics".

This. As someone who has suffered from mental health issues for a long time, I'm sick of the AFL. It seems like Hogan got drunk and broke team rules, now it's 'clinical anxiety'. Seems to be a pattern developing with the AFL to throw 'mental health' out as an excuse, which is so disrespectful to sufferers and WRONG!

If Hogan does have clinical anxiety then he wouldn't be able to function very well, and a loud bar or nightclub would be a horrible place to be.

Video doing the rounds this morning of Hogan from last week, off his chops, no pants, his jaw swinging in the wind.

It really pisses me off, the idea that players are getting on it, getting caught and then using this as a way of escaping punishment.

A huge % of the population uses or has used drugs, not all have anxiety and depression, until they caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back