Mega Thread General Pre-Season Discussion, News and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just watched Sydney vs Geelong in Round 11 in 2014

Feeling pumped for 2015 :)

Bird is massive from the first bounce and doesn't let up for a second. He's shutting down Stevie J early on while at the same time grabbing a truck load of possies at both ends of the ground. He really helped set the tone. When he goes forward Andrew Mackie tries to pick him up but he still gives him the slip and gets free on the wing. Bird's one of the game's elite taggers in his own right but then he adds the pressure acts, the one-percenters and the ability to really hurt the opposition offensively, both in rebounding and kicking for goal.

Horse's resolution for 2015 should be that Bird starts every game. A hugely respected and smart footballer who is getting better each season. I see a future captain in this most underrated of Swans.

Last edited:
Bird is massive from the first bounce and doesn't let up for a second. He's shutting down Stevie J early on while at the same time grabbing a truck load of possies at both ends of the ground. He really helped set the tone. When he goes forward Andrew Mackie tries to pick him up but he still gives him the slip and gets free on the wing. Bird's one of the game's elite taggers in his own right but then he adds the pressure acts, the one-percenters and the ability to really hurt the opposition offensively, both in rebounding and kicking for goal.

Horse's resolution for 2015 should be that Bird starts every game. A hugely respected and smart footballer who is getting better each season. I see a future captain in this most underrated of Swans.
Just to make sure you use a bigger sample size than 1 (in a game we won by over 100 points), the previous game Bird played on Stevie J was Round 22, 2013.

Johnson: 26 disposals, 7 scoring shots, 3 Brownlow votes.

In fairness Bird didn't play the whole game on Johnson, he spent much of the first half on Stokes. Stokes finished with 37 disposals.

They are known as role players. Crucial to the team if you think about it.
I could be wrong, and I'm sure Punts will correct me if I am, but I believe his point was that if your opponent has 37 disposals and 12 clearances, your role didn't go very well.

He also got touched up by R Gray in R20 ( didn't play whole game on him though ).

I like Bird but he is not elite but that's my opinion.
Didn't he go to him when he was already dominating and quell him?

I could be wrong, and I'm sure Punts will correct me if I am, but I believe his point was that if your opponent has 37 disposals and 12 clearances, your role didn't go very well.
Haha i am not against punts, in fact I am actually with him. Just saying that role players like Bird are crucial to the team because if they are performing well then you know the team is doing well.

I am a huge fan of bird. Plays whatever role is required of him. No he is not elite but he is a very important player for us. Can s**t players down and can hurt teams when he goes forward

Smith is our tagger for small defenders, Cunningham plays tight on the Stephen Hill's of this world but without Bird in the side we are basically saying lets rob Peter to pay Paul by taking away our best run-with hardbodied midfielder to either not use or take Jack away from what he does well as it is to take over Bird's role in the team. Either way we need a run-with player in the midfield like it or not and Bird is our best option.

Bird was Top 10 in our B&F two years running and would of gone close again if not for the PCL injury which basically rendered him useless upon his return as he wasn't worth a pinch of s**t in the subs vest but hey we got away with it for two Finals, why no surprise at it blowing up in the third. He'll keep his spot, history says he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who lost out in the shuffle other than Dew? Spin sounds like everyone is a winner. That just cant be true.

They shuffled the pack so to speak and came up with this;

Francou from Development Manager to Stoppage strategies

Mattner from stoppage Strategies to Development coach

Crouch from Development coach to Development Manager

There you have it. Dew gets a premiership mid and beaten GF coach from North Adelaide as his strategies developer. Good move. Francou may just have won a premiership with North if he'd stayed one more year. Instead he chose to come here. George Hewett was a project of his at North Adelaide (Red & White not Blue & White).

The only concern i have of derickxxx if he was moved back would be that he would be virtually out of the contest as soon as the ball is spoiled and he lacks the skill level to be a decent disposer of the footy. Rampe 's kicking has improved out of sight since he came to the club snd he can hurt teams with his rebounding

Why do you compare Derrickx with Rampe? They don't play the same position. Derrickx would play on the RR if a side has a consistent RR strategy. Rampe doesn't generally play on talls that big. Although Reg & Teddy at times last season left him to follow them at times. Lazy buggers. Rampe for mine has to take more of the role Shaw does now combined with the Marty hardness. Shaw was never a really great defender, probably our most scored against player over the period. Shaw was there for his run and carry more than anything else. Rampe on the other hand has both run and carry plus the ability to shut a player down. Much better comparison than Rampe/derrickx.

I hope not.

He's likely being taught how to do it just out of precaution. In case he gets dragged down there by a Paddy Ryder or some such smart ruckman during a game.

I recall Pyke had some training as a tall defender earlier in his career and he was never going to be used as such.

Actually Pykie is still shite at defending in the back half. He is sometimes in the right spot but more than not is out of possie. Reg & Teddy are always rousing at him. Derrickx did get back and save on many occasions. He at least positions himself in the right spots. Pykie is far better as a forward/ruck to a defensive ruck.

They shuffled the pack so to speak and came up with this;

Francou from Development Manager to Stoppage strategies

Mattner from stoppage Strategies to Development coach

Crouch from Development coach to Development Manager

There you have it. Dew gets a premiership mid and beaten GF coach from North Adelaide as his strategies developer. Good move. Francou may just have won a premiership with North if he'd stayed one more year. Instead he chose to come here. George Hewett was a project of his at North Adelaide (Red & White not Blue & White).

Going by that I would say Francou has one of the most important jobs of all this season. Kennedy and Mitchell need to play together all season, there is no question in my mind about that and if he can add something to the clearances I would love to see Heeney in there as well. If we do not improve our clearances considerably in 2015 compared to 2014 we will not win the flag.

Going by that I would say Francou has one of the most important jobs of all this season. Kennedy and Mitchell need to play together all season, there is no question in my mind about that and if he can add something to the clearances I would love to see Heeney in there as well. If we do not improve our clearances considerably in 2015 compared to 2014 we will not win the flag.

I agree completely. I don't know why Longmire would return to stoppages strategies that were crap in 2011. He had no solution in the GF for Hawks and had no solution to our stoppages problem all year but did nothing. Eff'ing sad!

I agree completely. I don't know why Longmire would return to stoppages strategies that were crap in 2011. He had no solution in the GF for Hawks and had no solution to our stoppages problem all year but did nothing. Eff'ing sad!

There was a thread in the week before the grand final about what could go wrong and where Hawthorn could get on top of us and most people on the thread agreed that stoppages was a major concern. If most Swans supporters can see it one would hope that Longmire sees it as well.

He also got touched up by R Gray in R20 ( didn't play whole game on him though ).

I like Bird but he is not elite but that's my opinion.

Champion Data put him in the top 10 taggers in the competition coming off his 2013 season. Well ahead of any other Swan.

Also averages 5 tackles per game. Should have been a walk up start for the .... (bugger, I almost mentioned the GF !)

I think most here realise how important Bird is to our team

Just to make sure you use a bigger sample size than 1 (in a game we won by over 100 points), the previous game Bird played on Stevie J was Round 22, 2013.

Johnson: 26 disposals, 7 scoring shots, 3 Brownlow votes.

In fairness Bird didn't play the whole game on Johnson, he spent much of the first half on Stokes. Stokes finished with 37 disposals.

So having been beaten by Stevie J in 2013 he took the next opportunity to go harder and evened the ledger. I like that. Our team needs that attitude.

Smith is our tagger for small defenders, Cunningham plays tight on the Stephen Hill's of this world but without Bird in the side we are basically saying lets rob Peter to pay Paul by taking away our best run-with hardbodied midfielder to either not use or take Jack away from what he does well as it is to take over Bird's role in the team. Either way we need a run-with player in the midfield like it or not and Bird is our best option.

Bird was Top 10 in our B&F two years running and would of gone close again if not for the PCL injury which basically rendered him useless upon his return as he wasn't worth a pinch of s**t in the subs vest but hey we got away with it for two Finals, why no surprise at it blowing up in the third. He'll keep his spot, history says he will.

He's only really had 3 complete seasons as he had stress fractures early in his career. At 25 he's got a lot more upside yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back