List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't pretend to know all the draft rules but I'm fairly sure people who do have said we won't need to keep this season's first rounder to get him. If someone bids we can make up the points in other ways.

Will stand corrected on this.
We can do that too, but then we may not have enough picks in the ND, possibly late picks which would suck especially if we are giving something away for Gibbs, which we'd have to.

We can do that too, but then we may not have enough picks in the ND, possibly late picks which would suck especially if we are giving something away for Gibbs, which we'd have to.

Would say Beech and Greenwood upgraded so theres 2, plus Jackson thats 3.

Can't we use as many picks as we have empty list spots for points towards a player?? Could be why we have gone in short this year for extra currency for Edwards.

I don't pretend to know all the draft rules but I'm fairly sure people who do have said we won't need to keep this season's first rounder to get him. If someone bids we can make up the points in other ways.

No, we have to use the next available pick to match any bids on Jacko. If we have hung on to our 2017 1st round pick, there could well be a risk of a club bidding on Jacko (thank heavens Swampies don't have a 1st rounder this year) and wee would have to use it.

That's what it would be good to actually it our 2017 1st rounder in a trade - or maybe upgrade it if possible.

Wonder if Calton could be interested in some pick swaps - say Gibbs + Carlton 2017 1st for Crows 2017 1st + 2018 1st (plus whatever else to make things work). This might give us a chance to have a go at someone like Darcy Foggarty this year.

Help yes.
But how much does he help us now vs how much does a first round draft pick help us over the next 15 years.
We are a solid chance to win the next 2 premierships even without Gibbs.
I'd rather take a good player with our first round draft pick (look at our recruiters track record) for the next 15 years than have a SMALL incremental upgrade for the next two.

I think either of these paths are good paths to take. If we have a solid chance to nab a flag or two near term, improving our chances is worth it. Or improving our chances over the next 10 years by using our current first round picks (but then we can't know what things will be like in the next 10 years)

I think either of these paths are good paths to take. If we have a solid chance to nab a flag or two near term, improving our chances is worth it. Or improving our chances over the next 10 years by using our current first round picks (but then we can't know what things will be like in the next 10 years)

Compare our kids to the St Kilda kids out there today.

Our kids are better than theirs.

He's got more than 2 years. He will be 29 at the start of next year, he's got 3-4 years.

Gibbs has completed 2 seasons averaging over 25 touches, 2009 and last year. He's on track this year, but I can't see what in his history suggests that this 1 year trend will continue into his 30's. He's been a cruiser for almost his entire career, he's the second last player in the league that I'd be giving a long term contract to at 29.

And now that I've seen Brad back for one game, it's confirmed that at best he'd be our 3rd best mid, likely 4th behind Matt. And I'll continue to argue that guys like Knight, Rat and even Hampton won't be far, if at all, behind him come the end of this year. He's fat too over priced if he's just going to be pushing a Knight out of the side.

If we go off that...

B: Laird, Talia, Lever
HB: Smith, Hartigan, Kelly/Doedee/Cheney
C: Cameron, Sloane, Atkins
HF: Knight, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Brown, Hampton, Milera, ????

There's a spot for Gibbs waiting to be grabbed

That's assuming Mackay's not in our future 22

Bit early to write Menzel off. But yes, Gibbs will be in a fight for a spot on the bench. Now that it's been put like that, I'd pay 2 firsts for sure, probably throw in a sweetener. Where do I sign?

We can, but there's a drawback. As far as I'm aware the end result is that as many picks as we bundle to get him we have to have open on our list to begin with. So if we need our 2nd to 4th for him, it'll mean that we need to take a player in the 4th and 5th rounds. I'm not sure how many less list spots we can go with, but presuming we are near the minimum at present. Still, our depth is holding up so far, despite not being rich in defensive stocks, so a couple of slugs late might not be an issue.

I'm not sure this is going to be an easy trade this year either.

Factors at work:

- we seem to feel some sort of obligation to Gibbs
- both clubs will want to show they weren't wrong last year
- therefore, SOS will want more than he's worth (again)
- third party people from other clubs thought Gibbs was worth a first rounder last year (which we were willing to pay)
- objectively, his value at the end of this year will be around pick 25-30.

We'd pay that, but what are the odds of SOS doing that deal?

Therefore, I can't see it getting done.

Bit early to write Menzel off. But yes, Gibbs will be in a fight for a spot on the bench. Now that it's been put like that, I'd pay 2 firsts for sure, probably throw in a sweetener. Where do I sign?

You must have enjoyed those four disposals of Menzel ...

Menzel cost us pick 24 or so. Gibbs will cost us pick 18 or so. He'll line up on the ground before any outside mid listed in that team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reportedly two first rounders. Which is overs, I agree. I still think there was a deal to be done and if you guys had offered your first, second and Atkins.. who knows what would've happened? I don't think he'd be your 3rd or 4th best mid. Who do you have ahead of Gibbs if he was on your list?
Who do we have ahead of Gibbs if he was on our list? Rory Atkins for a start. His start to the year has been exceptional, and if there was a deal to get Gibbs to the Crows involving Atkins, it would involve Carlton giving us extra draft picks to make it happen.

Seriously hoping sarcasm here.

I'm not sure this is going to be an easy trade this year either.

Factors at work:

- we seem to feel some sort of obligation to Gibbs
- both clubs will want to show they weren't wrong last year
- therefore, SOS will want more than he's worth (again)
- third party people from other clubs thought Gibbs was worth a first rounder last year (which we were willing to pay)
- objectively, his value at the end of this year will be around pick 25-30.

We'd pay that, but what are the odds of SOS doing that deal?

Therefore, I can't see it getting done.

If we could give Gore or Mackay for free as a sweetener it might be a win win.

You must have enjoyed those four disposals of Menzel ...

Menzel cost us pick 24 or so. Gibbs will cost us pick 18 or so. He'll line up on the ground before any outside mid listed in that team.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to write a player off after his 3rd game with us when he's only just achieved the fitness levels required to be considered for selection. Judging a player over 1 game is pretty dumb, even for lefties.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to write a player off after his 3rd game with us when he's only just achieved the fitness levels required to be considered for selection. Judging a player over 1 game is pretty dumb, even for lefties.

He has been very disappointing for two years, and played one of the historic invisible games on Saturday.

Ever a far right loony wouldn't suggest Gibbs wouldn't be a MILE ahead of him for a spot in the team.

If you look at the stats for this year, Mackay is easily in the top 12 players in the team, he is gaining some serious currency

No he's not. He's still a fringe player who will struggle with a fit list because guys like Hampton, Knight and Rat have surged ahead of him. Right now it'd be between him and Milera and statistically there'd be eff all difference.

Which bit? It's too early to write off Menz as a player or that in the side as listed Gibbs would possibly be starting on the bench?

Obviously the team. He's better than any outside mid you listed.

He has been very disappointing for two years, and played one of the historic invisible games on Saturday.

Ever a far right loony wouldn't suggest Gibbs wouldn't be a MILE ahead of him for a spot in the team.

What has political stance got to do with a purely apolitical football discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back