List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 Trade Discussions! V2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You rang? :)

How feasible do you think it would be for your club to fork over picks ~10 (Lever trade) + pick ~16 (2018 1st round) + pick ~ 34 (2018 2nd round) for pick 1 or 2 in next years draft? (~2900 points --> 2500 or 3000 points)

We are likely have a lot of zone and father son picks to facilitate, so after a certain point it becomes a points issue for us, but we would still need a very good deal to turn our backs on either of those S.A. boys.
Huge flight risks. Huge. You don't want them.

I’d give them 16 & Atkins
My concern with giving away Atkins is we are now 4 starting 18 players down with only Gibbs in.

And given we are missing Smiths and Charlie's run and carry, losing another one in Atkins without a replacement would be bad for team balance.

I like how whenever I prove you wrong on one of your posts

Which post? The one where you didn't realise Eddie Betts had two previous all Australian nominations? The one where you said Bryce Gibbs had never won a best and fairest? The one where you said we let Betts go because we couldn't afford him due to bringing in Thomas? Or the one where you said youve got clearly better players aged 23 and under?

Because in addition to being overly and entirely unnecessarily belligerent, you've got pretty much every fact wrong that you've stated so far.

I pretty much just ignore your posts now. They add nothing to the discussion.

Heck; you admitted as much three posts up.

Docherty, Cripps, Curnow, Weitering, SPS, Marchbank, Plowman, Pickett, Cuningham, Fisher, Williamson, Silvagni, Mckay.

8 x RS noms, 2 x BnFs, 1x AA just in those 13. Cripps, Weitering and Curnow pulled in 96 rising star votes alone.

I think we've got you covered in the 18 to 23 year old age bracket.
It's going to be 0x AA in three days ;)

In all seriousness, Laird, Brouch, Mrouch, McGovern, Milera, Gallucci, Kelly, Atkins, Knight (out of those that have actually played games, it would be more if we weren't contending) are very good young talents. But admittedly, yours is probably on another level, and rightly so, considering all the chances you've had with high draft picks

That doesnt excuse acting like a tool though.

No, that's not how trading works at all. In fact that is amateur crap.

Firstly its called 'trading' for a reason. You need both parties to agree. Going into a trade with the intent of 'screwing the other side over' means you rarely get trades done, and when you do, you shoot yourself in the foot later on when you (in following years) have to trade with that team again. Plus you get a reputation among other teams as being a bunch of flogs to trade with, and players become reluctant to go to your club because of the same phenomeon (you cant get deals done, are constantly trying to **** others over, and everyone thinks your a bunch of tools).

There comes a point when your manager says 'Dont nominate team X because other clubs hate them, and they rarely get deals done'

This is a closed market mate. Pissing off trade partners is beyond stupid in a closed market. You wind up trying to leverage a short term gain at the expense of the bigger picture.

Look at sides like Geelong and Hawthorn who have excellent reputations as being [no-fuss, get the trade done, move on] kind of clubs.

Now compare Essendon who are reported to be a bunch of tight-arses to deal with.

If you get a reputation as tight arse traders, who try and screw people over who you trade with, go behind other clubs backs, and act like a bunch of petulant tossers when players put their hands up to be traded (in or out) this has an impact.

Why do you think the PSD isnt used (or threatened) anymore? Clubs finishing last could go to a player in a top team behind that teams back, convince that player to walk with the intent of picking them up in the PSD for nothing, but by convention, they dont. It's a dick move, and clubs (generally) try and trade fairly and not screw each other over.

If you advocate the club should instead take the position of (in your words) 'bend them over and make them our bitches' you're sadly mistaken.

I think the idea that there's a cumulative effect with trading is quite absurd. It's a idiotic as people saying that demanding a fair price will mean players won't want to go to your club in the future. Just simpleton thinking really.

It's going to be 0x AA in three days ;)

In all seriousness, Laird, Brouch, Mrouch, McGovern, Milera, Gallucci, Kelly, Atkins, Knight (out of those that have actually played games, it would be more if we weren't contending) are very good young talents. But admittedly, yours is probably on another level, and rightly so, considering all the chances you've had with high draft picks

I'm certainly not saying that your 18 to 23 year-old players aren't any good. You've got some absolute gems in there particularly Crouch.

When it comes to our drafting you can pretty much rule out 2007 to 2014 (Barring Cripps). We picked up 11 of those kids over the last two trade and draft periods (barring Cripps and Docherty). We'll be adding pick 3 (LDU, Rayner, Unakie?) and Kennedy to them and maybe more if we can get this Gibbs trade done.

Next year is a another reset year. Got a decent father son in Ben Silvagni coming through, plus we should get about 7 to 10 wins (a top 10 pick and hopefully our last one for a while).

I'm certainly not saying that your 18 to 23 year-old players aren't any good. You've got some absolute gems in there particularly Crouch.

When it comes to our drafting you can pretty much rule out 2007 to 2014 (Barring Cripps). We picked up 11 of those kids over the last two trade and draft periods (barring Cripps and Docherty). We'll be adding pick 3 (LDU, Rayner, Unakie?) and Kennedy to them and maybe more if we can get this Gibbs trade done.

Next year is a another reset year. Got a decent father son in Ben Silvagni coming through, plus we should get about 7 to 10 wins (a top 10 pick and hopefully our last one for a while).
Yeah you've done well definitely. Obviously not an absolute guarantee that all of those guys continue to be stars/great role players in the 22 (same with ours), but credit to SOS for that. IMO you'd be better served adding even more depth by trading pick 3, plus maybe pick 16 that you would get for Gibbs, for 7 and 8?

I can see a stand off between us wanting to give 16 and a future 2nd rounder VS Carlton wanting 16 and 19.

Lets not kid ourselves Gibbs is not going to be given to us cheaply so there is no point hoping that we get Gibbs for pick 18 or 19 because it won't ever happen.
Even adding the future 2nd rounder makes it too expensive. Adding 19 is just plain ridiculous.

If we can't get him for the 18/19 we get from Brisbane, then we don't get him. I have no problem with that at all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

:D

Okay.

Crows and Port can argue over who is going to pony up the best 2 x 1st round + change pick proposition. :thumbsu:

Justin Read mentioned something about live bidding too in next years draft so curious to see how that plays a part...

EDIT: errr... pick trading etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Read mentioned something about live bidding too in next years draft so curious to see how that plays a part...

EDIT: errr... pick trading etc.
:p:p:p
Clubs take 2 weeks to make a trade decision now ......and now they're going to do in 10 min?

I'd like to see that :rolleyes: .......maybe it'll result in a maturing of current trade games ?

Seen with his manager in Melbourne? Is that right? Not very convincing evidence.

Yeah seen having coffee with his manager, Jake Stringer was also there, they share managers. Could be nothing, but the question becomes, surely you don't just have a "catch up" with your manager in trade week unless there's something going on. Surely his managers got better things to do at present ie sort out Jake stringer, than meet up with a player staying put at his club?

I suspect it's nothing and unless the deal is Gibbs for Atkins, I'm not interested as I think he improves again next year and could very quickly become one of the best outside mids in the comp. He was our 3rd highest meters gained player, with our #1 our for a year with a knee.

Seems a bit odd to meet with him, maybe Jake is coming here ?? Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books.

Considering you’re on our board (I realise it might seem like your board, but it’s not) it might be best you take your own advice.
I'm happy to move a conversation to another board, but I was referring to Crows go away from Bryce.

All signs point to a Blue Bryce for 2018. Our club cannot afford to enter a season with only one or two seasoned A grade midfielders in its ranks. Whatever Bryce's worth on the market is, he is worth a lot more than that to the Blues.

My concern with giving away Atkins is we are now 4 starting 18 players down with only Gibbs in.

And given we are missing Smiths and Charlie's run and carry, losing another one in Atkins without a replacement would be bad for team balance.
hopefully we've got more surprises waiting in the wings.

Milera, Hampton, Seedsman, Keath, Gallucci, Doedee, Himmelberg, even Jarman as a smoky, are all capable of becoming big contributors. No reason at least "enough" of those names can come in and have big impacts like Greenwood and Kelly for example.

we're not going to be able to trade to cover all the outs, we're going to have to back our development and these guys exposure to the system.

we'll need to be brave though. e.g. if Himmelberg replaces Jenkins in Round 1 next year I won't be complaining I can tell you that much. If all next year is planned around patching up the 22 that won the prelim we are ****ed before we even start.

After a series of finals and big games, we know Atkins isn't up to it. We're probably better off replacing him with "organic growth" and trading in Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back