News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing the saints supporters with more seats was a good thing. They were loud through the TV and had a positive effect on the atmosphere. Did seem to spark up the handbaggers a bit aswell.
We weren’t too far away, they were super impressive! Sounded louder than our fans it felt even though we significantly outnumbered them. They definitely added to the atmosphere on the night.

It actually looked like the Cats cheer squad was somewhere else early on the tv (maybe wing) hard to tell but definitely wasn't behind the goals. I know later on after half time it looked like the cheer squad moved behind the goals, but still strange to see so many empty seats earlier.
no we were behind the goals the whole game...

Maybe the cheer squad is struggling with numbers then.
Probably anyone who dared suggest a chant other than Geelong clap clap clap, got the boot
we arent necessarily struggling for numbers, there is a waiting list to get a seat within the cheersquad bay

we arent necessarily struggling for numbers, there is a waiting list to get a seat within the cheersquad bay
no we were behind the goals the whole game...
What were the empty seats at the back of the bay? Particularly prominent in the first half? I’d assumed it was the cheer squad members doing the banner?

Tony Shaw suggests The Kangaroos and Bulldogs should consider playing some games at K'Park.

https://www.3aw.com.au/tony-shaws-b...QRka0T-GgyKT2Vqgd1VH_jx1_h5FsxZNfABCHDoV18AsI

The Dogs probably want to see something similar as a target in Ballarat. North? Who knows down the track once Tassy is no more. Let see what their enthusiasm for attendance is at the next home game. Memory was during covid the Swans liked it ..shame they do not have a game for their old Sth Melb Swans support or even a trip away. From my pov ..our ground is every bit as good as the SCG while I feel is a little underwhelming.

Last edited:
Oe would have to say that the first game was a great success... with it being. so close to the theoretical capacity. The entry lines were a problem but Im sure tehy will work on that. The biggest crowd since 1981 ..when the Pies still played in Geelong. Was it the biggest ever crowd for a Stk game?

Is that a sustainable attendance? I bet the club and Hocking hope so.Love to see some numbers. The old paradigm is probably done now but back when Cook was talking over 1m profit a game..my bet its well over that now.

The next home game is North , that will be a test ... I could tell you what the biggest crowd is for North Melb but I suspect it would be less than 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dogs probably want to see something similar as a target in Ballarat. North? Who knows down the track once Tassy is no more. Let see what their enthusiasm for attendance is at the next home game. Memory was during covid the Swans liked it ..shame they do not have a game for their old Sth Melb Swans support or even a trip away. From my pov ..our ground is every bit as good as the SCG while I feel is a little underwhelming.
Swans having a home game at KP every year for the old Sth Melb fans would rule.

Dogs would be very smart to try and get a stadium up to scratch in Ballarat.

Dogs had tried in the past to get a couple games in Geelong but AFL blocked it, hence why they're in Ballarat.

Oe would have to say that the first game was a great success... with it being. so close to the theoretical capacity. The entry lines were a problem but Im sure tehy will work on that. The biggest crowd since 1981 ..when the Pies still played in Geelong. Was it the biggest ever crowd for a Stk game?

Is that a sustainable attendance? I bet the club and Hocking hope so.Love to see some numbers. The old paradigm is probably done now but back when Cook was talking over 1m profit a game..my bet its well over that now.

The next home game is North , that will be a test ... I could tell you what the biggest crowd is for North Melb but I suspect it would be less than 40

With the entry lines I can only vouch for Gate 13. It looks like a lot of people when you are faced with 5 queues of maybe 30 in each. But the scanners only take a few seconds per person. You can still rock up for a 7.30 game at 7 and see the pre-game fireworks.

We speculated a bit on here last year that the Brownlow side big screen would obstruct the view from some of the upper level seats in the Selwood Stand- well, it does. About 50 seats have a view somewhere between these two photos…

IMG_1259.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

They were all sold, I was told, as “restricted or obstructed view”. So if you are offered one of these seats one day: Beware!

And, on the subject of restricted view, the original big screen is woefully small (and has poor quality) if you are in the Selwood stand.
Time to fill up that gap with a super-sized screen, I think.

Like others have already said, my biggest gripe is the reception. Has to be the worst in the country. Funnily enough they do have a free wifi network, but nobody has any luck connecting to it. Bemuses me that a connection upgrade wasn’t included as part of the redevelopment - time will tell if something is already on the horizon. I’m sure the club is across it.

The larger contingent of away supporters is exactly what KP needed. If we want to play finals here and attract opposition fans, we need to give them a reason to come and have opportunities to buy tickets. As others mentioned, the away support encouraged our fans fans to get noiser. It was the loudest I’ve heard KP probably since the Richmond home game in 2017. Looking forward to inviting them again and the dawks later this year, should be a cracking atmosphere.

They were all sold, I was told, as “restricted or obstructed view”. So if you are offered one of these seats one day: Beware!
I call BS by the club. When I called in the first few days of when seats were open in the new stand they first off offered them around here, and despite there were some up front which shouldn't be restricted, I still said no thanks due to not only this but being so close to the screen I figured it could be more breezy come winter. Not once did the person warn seats in this area could/would be restricted.

Totally agree that the screen on the other side is now junk. TBH I still miss the old black one with the yellow letters and signs....really miss it.

It looks like there’s some sort of sub framing for either a text only scoreboard (or an advertising billboard?) on the side of the northern walkway on the hickey stand.

I'm looking to make the trip down to the home game vs Richmond now that we're poor enough again to loose the status of Geelong home games at the G.

Which end does your cheer squad usually sit? A bit of googling suggests it's the players stand end so Richmond cheer squad would be Selwood stand end, but this information was before the refurbishment so just wanted to confirm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back