Club Focus Gold Coast 2021 - Chol, Andrew, Constable

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

So how does losing Greenwood unexpectidly change things.

An extra rookie pick or take a DFA.
I don't think losing Greenwood changes the approach to the draft. No 18 year old is going to replace him next season.

There is talk of Charlie Constable with a late pick or as a DFA. That seems more sensible than using a pick from next year to get an 18 year old who probably won't play anyway.

I don't think losing Greenwood changes the approach to the draft. No 18 year old is going to replace him next season.

There is talk of Charlie Constable with a late pick or as a DFA. That seems more sensible than using a pick from next year to get an 18 year old who probably won't play anyway.

Was more highlighting they dont have a main list spot available to use another pick on. Only a spare rookie spot now so no point trading in another 2021 main draft pick.

Was more highlighting they don't have a main list spot available to use another pick on. Only a spare rookie spot now so no point trading in another 2021 main draft pick.
What? Gold Coast delisted Greenwood, Thompson and McLennan to create the 3 main list spots required to take 3 selections at the national draft. Their intent was to take 1 live pick with #3, select 2 of their 3 de-listed players (Greenwood and Thompson) in the ND, and then select McLennan in the rookie draft.

With Greenwood jumping ship, they can (if they want) have a second live pick. Such as the rumoured Charlie Constable selection. Or they can use their second and third picks (very late) on re-selecting Thompson and now McLennan, and either leave a vacant spot on their extended rookie list, or take a rookie selection.

But they definitely could trade pick #3 for two later selections (e.g. Hawks #5 & #21) and use both those selections live, re-selecting Thompson late, and re-selecting McLennan in the rookie draft.

But they wouldn't do the chopflop trade, that is an ugly offer weighted purely in Hawks' favour.

Was more highlighting they dont have a main list spot available to use another pick on. Only a spare rookie spot now so no point trading in another 2021 main draft pick.
Suns have now 3 primary spots available and have to fill them. That will be pick 3, Thompson in pre-season draft and finally drafting someone with pick 97 at the end of national draft (55-60 players will probably be drafted before that) or Suns could upgrade one rookie.

Sun could also trade in another pick and use it instead of pick 97 but it does not look like as per Cameron interview today.

At the moment Suns have 42 players in total, 35 players on primary list (max 38), 6 players on cat A rookie list (max 9) and 1 player on cat B list (max 2). Add pick 3, Thompson, McLennan, Casboult, that's 46. 3 spots left.

Last edited:
Hawthorn will offer an upgrade

3 and F2 for 5 and 21.

Just to get them an extra pick I think we would consider. We wouldn't pay overs because they are the ones needing another quality ND selection

F2 will be very similar to 21 theres no real value in that for GC.

F2 will be very similar to 21 there's no real value in that for GC.
Quite potentially trading backwards from both picks they hand over. And get no benefit from trading down from pick #3. I know Suns seem like trading rubes given the Greenwood debacle, but pretty sure even they wouldn't do that!

What? Gold Coast delisted Greenwood, Thompson and McLennan to create the 3 main list spots required to take 3 selections at the national draft. Their intent was to take 1 live pick with #3, select 2 of their 3 de-listed players (Greenwood and Thompson) in the ND, and then select McLennan in the rookie draft.

With Greenwood jumping ship, they can (if they want) have a second live pick. Such as the rumoured Charlie Constable selection. Or they can use their second and third picks (very late) on re-selecting Thompson and now McLennan, and either leave a vacant spot on their extended rookie list, or take a rookie selection.

But they definitely could trade pick #3 for two later selections (e.g. Hawks #5 & #21) and use both those selections live, re-selecting Thompson late, and re-selecting McLennan in the rookie draft.

But they wouldn't do the chopflop trade, that is an ugly offer weighted purely in Hawks' favour.

Wasnt the plabn to move those guys off the senior list onto the rookie list? And the AFL allowed two be counted as draft selections. So 1 live pick plus 3 rookie picks of existing players delisted and re rookied.

So they only have one main list spot plus rookie spots.

Quite potentially trading backwards from both picks they hand over. And get no benefit from trading down from pick #3. I know Suns seem like trading rubes given the Greenwood debacle, but pretty sure even they wouldn't do that!
Yeh i know. Didn't make alot of sense for them. But from a hawks perspective, we wouldn't pay anything to move from 5 to 3 if calla is gone. It was more if they approached looking for an extra pick in the second round, we could facilitate that with a lateral move like this one.

It wouldn't be from a position of hawthorn being desperate to move up. Anyway, I'm sure they will find some way to get that extra pick in. Probably trade one of their futures back in

Yeh i know. Didn't make alot of sense for them. But from a hawks perspective, we wouldn't pay anything to move from 5 to 3 if calla is gone. It was more if they approached looking for an extra pick in the second round, we could facilitate that with a lateral move like this one.

It wouldn't be from a position of hawthorn being desperate to move up. Anyway, I'm sure they will find some way to get that extra pick in. Probably trade one of their futures back in
I expect that Suns will just grab someone such as Charlie Constable, and not seek an earlier draft pick.

However, even with Callaghan gone, they are not just going to give pick #3 to another club for literally nothing. They've got a stack of second round picks they could use to get back into the second round, or someone will pay for pick #3 to get a draftee higher up their list who would otherwise be gone - Richmond for example, or Fremantle.

I expect that Suns will just grab someone such as Charlie Constable, and not seek an earlier draft pick.

However, even with Callaghan gone, they are not just going to give pick #3 to another club for literally nothing. They've got a stack of second round picks they could use to get back into the second round, or someone will pay for pick #3 to get a draftee higher up their list who would otherwise be gone - Richmond for example, or Fremantle.
They were reportedly looking at Gibcus, Andrew, Rachelle and Hobbs at their pick.
3-5 would still give them a pick of 2 of those players, and they might think that their #1 choice would still be available at 5.
And I think it’s just going to get a lot more expensive to get back into the second round. With an even spread of players, there’s every chance a player some club has top 10 is available at 21.

I don’t think it will happen, but there would certainly be circumstances it would make sense.

Yeah, listening to Cameron today, it's just pick 3 for Suns and some re-drafting late.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that times when Suns were throwing picks away according to opposition fans is over as the concessions are over. I actually looked at once at Suns concessions the last 3 years and they are equivalent of something like 10-12 mostly first and second round picks. It's crazy. Extra salary cap would be much more useful assistance.

Wasnt the plabn to move those guys off the senior list onto the rookie list? And the AFL allowed two be counted as draft selections. So 1 live pick plus 3 rookie picks of existing players delisted and re rookied.

So they only have one main list spot plus rookie spots.
Nope. 2 were coming off to be selected in the main draft, and 1 was planned for the rookie draft. No upgrades off the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sort of trade? 20 for 3 2022r2 selections
It was more sarcasm than real, seeing how they must feel towards us at the moment as we took Greenwood from them...l would most likely offer pick #1 2022 future pick and maybe 2021 pick 42. l think trying to get Callaghan would be worth the try...

I had actually suggested to my own board trading geelong2022r1 for 3 2022r2's from Gold Coast,
Probably 13 for 22,24,26.
A very good trade in my opinion, but nobody wants to do it in the bigfooty world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back