Review Good, bad and Talia v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

My name is not Alex.

Are you sure?
Lol, everyone on this board knows you are the poster formally known as Alex is on fire, amongst all the other aliases.

Your posting style has not changed including denial.

It was a low act pretending to be dead, so you are going about it the wrong way to earn back the respect of this board.

You are lucky to be allowed to still post here.

Lol, everyone on this board knows you are the poster formally known as Alex is on fire, amongst all the other aliases.

Your posting style has not changed including denial.

It was a low act pretending to be dead, so you are going about it the wrong way to earn back the respect of this board.

You are lucky to be allowed to still post here.

Whatever

Check the IP address. Check my software pathway. Check my digital footprint.

If they match up. Ban me.

I invite anyone to check. You are wrong.

Try playing the ball, not the man.

Stop crying because you misinterpreted a question. I never accused you of anything. I simply asked you a question. Get over yourself.

... that moment was bad. Really bad, but it was well after the momentum had swung their way. Thalia’s was the worse moment for mine- the kick to CEY.
Several posters have commented on both these incidents:
The Talia kick: we're up by 33 and all Talia had to do was kick down the line and force a stoppage, as WC had done most of the game. For whatever reason he decided to centre the ball to CEY who's in a nest of WC players, outnumbered 3:1. The kick was off-direction and gifted them a goal, but who would have predicted it'd be the start of a goalfest for them? Not even the WCE players looked thrilled by that goal.
Totally inexplicable Talia-brain-fade, whether CEY was screaming for the ball or not. Another poster commented that CEY's presence there actually drew in the 3 WC players. All the more reason NOT to kick to him, because we'd outnumber them, elsewhere.
@33 points up, I think the Crows got ahead of themselves (hubris/arrogance/complacency, as in "We've got this won"). When that happens they stop doing most of the things that got themselves into that position and Talia's kick reflects that. It was dumb and careless, a bad drop in focus and team play.
Talia was out-muscled and out-thought by Kennedy a few times. Watch the Kennedy mark with 14.38 to play in the 3rdQ. While the ball's in flight, Kennedy turns towards Talia and pushes him in the chest with both hands (I'm confused --- is that allowed o_O, with the ball still 20+ metres away?), then turns, jumps and marks.
Kennedy and Darling (man-mountain) killed us in the air.
The Seedsman dropped mark:
At the time, normal speed, it looked awful, but Ch7 showed a slo-mo replay. Looked to me like the ball came off hands, falling shorter than he anticipated and I doubt he expected it even to clear those players. Seedsman's too good a player to fumble a mark like that and I reckon he was caught, surprised. How about we forgive him for that one? eg his goal (sold candy, got closer, booming kick) with 4.50 to go in the second quarter was a beauty.

OK, 2 bad mistakes, but every player made mistakes on the day.
I'm more troubled by the Crows' drop in intensity and effort after they got 33 points up. After the Kennedy mark/goal, WC got a sniff and rolled us. Good sides do that.

Like you would have a clue on young talent...

McHenry has played some good SANFL footy & needs to be given opportunities.

The small forward role I would like to see Stengle, But would not be put out if McHenry plays there. Bit old school I believe Goal kicking is important for KPF and the smaller Forward role. and in the SANFL Stengle the best we have.

In the SANFL to date, Mchenry has played his best football higher up the field On the ball, Wing or Half forward, and he uses his fitness to advantage, with his repeat runs near the end of quarters, when most are flagging, His first couple of metres is as fast as I have seen for a while I would say over 10 he's as quick as CC to the eye, and just as tough.
He the perfect MacKay, Atkins, Knight, replace today, and in a few years the Sloane replacement.
This Kid does not know how to back down. we need him in the AFL, he one player I believe who can be infectious and do something to give a team a spark. Yea after watching him a couple of time I really rate him, Skill wise Jones is the better (not a great deal in it) but for sheer hard work all day it's McHenry
Have to add I have only seen Jones in the SANFL once so it's hard to draw an equal comparison,

The general consensus is, if you apply pressure to the Crows midfield and ball handlers, you can and often do beat them.

If the Crows midfield engine doesn’t have time, space or quick ball movement they get suffocated to the point where we just bomb the ball forward. The numbers do not lie. The disposals efficiency going forward was atrocious and many of our midfielders were running at well below 50% in our forward half of the ground.

I understand many are frustrated at Taylor Walker but lets be realistic, if the ball gets delivered like a crapshoot, it’s no wonder he cannot do diddly squat.

Can we try and look at this reasonably instead of just laying unrealistic blame on the new whipping boys.

Forgive the intrusion, but what’s happening with Fogarty? Really liked the look of him in his first few games, and haven’t seen him since.

Unfortunately, we've overinvested in our forward line, and Fogarty is a victim of that.

the crows had arm wrestled for 5 minutes for no reward prior to that and then the free kick and goal sucked all the air from the crowd

could have a camp?

But one goal, even from a dubious free kick shouldn’t be enough to completely remove all confidence when you’re up by ~32 and dominating.

With all the money spent on training, how much is spent on toughening up mentally (that doesn’t involved dodgy camps).

I’m the first one to put my hand up and say I’d probably crap myself and fold if I was under the same pressure and a few things didn’t go my way (takes me back to a nail-biting come-from-behind netball GF win back in the day and trying to keep it together as a defender!!). For me it’s psychological, everything all of a sudden matters more. How else do you explain a shift from dominating to folding after a few things don’t go your way, (and it being so contagious). Surely it’s more than WC moving up a cog and us not being able to reciprocate?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With all the money spent on training, how much is spent on toughening up mentally (that doesn’t involved dodgy camps).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The players needed to be toughened up mentally but after the debacle of the Collective Minds, the Club wouldnt dare embark on this path again.

Possibly a gentle kinder approach to mentally toughening the player group should have been employed. What CM did was an embarrassment, especially when everyone outside the Club thought the approach they used was totally wrong.

I think we were shown up as a 7th-to-12th position side.
A 2-goal defeat by last year's Premiers who were on a 3-game-winning-roll was not a huge surprise, even at AO where their record is not-bad.

The real killer was it was after we led by 33 points early in the 3rdQ :rage:. I'm still in pained shock. A Top 4 side would win by 10+ goals from there, at home.
That has to be player mindset, a drop in concentration, based on the assumption of a win.
How the Coaching Staff can stop the players from getting ahead of themselves is beyond me. Compare the 4-quarter effort we put up to beat Freo, to yesterday's second-half drop-off. I thought the Freo and Showdown wins were real turning points and hoped for more of the same vs Brisbane and WC.
Look at our next 4 games.
They're a chance of being 6-8 (Melb win) or 5-9 (lose all 4).
I think at Season's end we'll reflect on the last 2 losses as Season-defining.

Also-rans :sob::sob::sob:.

Yes, THIS!
With all the money spent on training, how much is spent on toughening up mentally
and this!
For me it’s psychological, everything all of a sudden matters more. How else do you explain a shift from dominating to folding after a few things don’t go your way, (and it being so contagious). Surely it’s more than WC moving up a cog and us not being able to reciprocate?
I think the problem has to do with mindset/attitude/complacency.

"We're 33 points up. We'll win this" ==> mental relaxation and a drop-off in intensity.

Our Crows are mentally weak. No killer instinct.
The best sides since 2000 would have won that game by at least that margin, and much more against weaker sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should send video footage to the AFL for a please explain as Andrew Stephens was the most influential person on the field in the 3rd quarter. No one is that incompetent & it was pure cheating.

Not for the 1st time he has enraged fans... like he won the game for the Hawks v Saints a few years back.
Pretty sure he was a part of the reason the Bombers fans went into melt down in this years ANZAC day game too

Pretty sure he was a part of the reason the Bombers fans went into melt down in this years ANZAC day game too
Great we have another attention seeking umpire who thrives in creating controversy...

You're right, he was involved in that game too. I don't think it's a bias or anti-bias against any particular team but, given it's completely different teams in 3 matches, it absolutely reeks of him having good money on a team. It's not a one-off event and he needs to be investigated.

You're right, he was involved in that game too. I don't think it's a bias or anti-bias against any particular team but, given it's completely different teams in 3 matches, it absolutely reeks of him having good money on a team. It's not a one-off event and he needs to be investigated.

He's the same umpire who had Hawthorn stuff plastered all over his social media.

I just still haven’t figured out what their MO is yet. There a strong whiff of “the next era” about last Thursday’s selection, but it’s so uncharacteristic of us that I don’t believe it yet.
I've thought a lot about this after Jenkins was dropped, youth promoted, and we showed such a strong defensive game in those 4 good consecutive wins.
Nobody's using the word "rebuild", but I reckon Pyke's been given (or TAKEN) a stronger hand re: selection and defence (also love him coaching from the bench) and we're rebuilding without doing a Carlton.

Fogarty's continued senior absence baffles me. Was his pre-season interrupted, is he out of form, or what?

Last edited:
Several posters have commented on both these incidents:
The Talia kick: we're up by 33 and all Talia had to do was kick down the line and force a stoppage, as WC had done most of the game. For whatever reason he decided to centre the ball to CEY who's in a nest of WC players, outnumbered 3:1. The kick was off-direction and gifted them a goal, but who would have predicted it'd be the start of a goalfest for them? Not even the WCE players looked thrilled by that goal.
Totally inexplicable Talia-brain-fade, whether CEY was screaming for the ball or not. Another poster commented that CEY's presence there actually drew in the 3 WC players. All the more reason NOT to kick to him, because we'd outnumber them, elsewhere.
@33 points up, I think the Crows got ahead of themselves (hubris/arrogance/complacency, as in "We've got this won"). When that happens they stop doing most of the things that got themselves into that position and Talia's kick reflects that. It was dumb and careless, a bad drop in focus and team play.
Talia was out-muscled and out-thought by Kennedy a few times. Watch the Kennedy mark with 14.38 to play in the 3rdQ. While the ball's in flight, Kennedy turns towards Talia and pushes him in the chest with both hands (I'm confused --- is that allowed o_O, with the ball still 20+ metres away?), then turns, jumps and marks.
Kennedy and Darling (man-mountain) killed us in the air.
The Seedsman dropped mark:
At the time, normal speed, it looked awful, but Ch7 showed a slo-mo replay. Looked to me like the ball came off hands, falling shorter than he anticipated and I doubt he expected it even to clear those players. Seedsman's too good a player to fumble a mark like that and I reckon he was caught, surprised. How about we forgive him for that one? eg his goal (sold candy, got closer, booming kick) with 4.50 to go in the second quarter was a beauty.

OK, 2 bad mistakes, but every player made mistakes on the day.
I'm more troubled by the Crows' drop in intensity and effort after they got 33 points up. After the Kennedy mark/goal, WC got a sniff and rolled us. Good sides do that.
You also forgot Talia holding Darling's arm directly in front of goal (that was the 3rd straight goal involving him after first one from that shocking switch attempt). Talia has form, he did the same against North giving away 3 goals from frees directly in front of goal and how much did we lose the game by......

I've thought a lot about this after Jenkins was dropped, youth promoted, and we showed such a strong defensive game in those 4 good consecutive wins.
Nobody's using the word "rebuild", but I reckon Pyke's been given a stronger hand re: selection and defence (also love him coaching from the bench) and we're rebuilding without doing a Carlton.

Fogarty's continued senior absence baffles me. Was his pre-season interrupted, is he out of form, or what?
They tried him in defence and looked completely lost, 10 goals was kicked on him.....

1) Our problems are 90% physchological im sure of it.
2) Then the game starts and the wobbly knees set in. 3) We cannot handle true heat from quality sides.
1) I believe same. We have the ability and toughness to play that blinder of a second quarter, then get dumb-cute (Talia/CEY kick) and lose focus.
2) Then the second half starts, we get 33 points up and assume we've won the game :rolleyes:.
3) Agreed. I can't see them beating any of the current Top 5 sides on yesterday's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back