Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had, and still have, a young developing side. You look at the teams we've come up against in those games and i guarantee they've got more experience on their side. As we develop we'll start to win more of those games. 2 years ago opposition teams would have kicked away at certain times of the game yesterday. We're staying in them
I think this is right. Improvement is slow and not linear. You need patience

Watching live i thought he was getting soundly beaten by McInerney outside of a few OK marks.
RoB had 2 marks for the game

Let me name some of the Crows who had more

Sholl 8
Keays 8
McHenry 5
Jones 3
Laird 3

Either he is positioning himself badly or not going for marks

To be fair McInerney also had 2 marks

Barring injury, you'd have to think so. As much as it's annoying that they've pigeon-holed Curtin as a KPD, the one positive is that Borlase is the only remaining uninjured KPD we've got, so Curtin should stay in as long as his knee is good enough.

In fact, they may even decide to let him play in the more loose role than Worrell has been in, and hand off the pure stopper KPD role to Borlase.
We can't possibly play Butts and Borlase together. Surely.

RoB had 2 marks for the game

Let me name some of the Crows who had more

Sholl 8
Keays 8
McHenry 5
Jones 3
Laird 3

Either he is positioning himself badly or not going for marks

To be fair McInerney also had 2 marks

O'Brien is ranked 26th among rucks for marks and 30th for contested marks (on average)

There are only three rucks to have played AFL this season that average fewer contested marks than ROB

Good:
When you are 3 goals down halfway through the last quarter, a draw is a win.
Sholl was great, got dangerous and he is really good on both sides of his body.
Dawson, so powerful out of stoppage in the last quarter
Fogarty, please play like that every week. Recorded as 2 contested marks, but felt more like 10. That goal to put us in front was brilliant.

Bad:
Good defenders intercept marking everything that goes into our forward line.
Himmelberg just couldn't engage Harris Andrews well enough, Tex got beaten, he has those issues with guys like Pearce, Balta etc.
Brisbanes disposal going inside 50 was way better than ours, almost no intercept marks. But we kept Cameron quiet at least.

Ugly:
It wasn't the amount of decisions, it was the stupid calls.
Dawson front on contact in the goal square, Lairds "throw" when we go on and score, Andrews just walking it out of bounds, Rachele front on contact with an open 50.... pivotal moments where we got dudded.

Worrells injury, hopefully only a fracture or something 4-6 weeks.

Curtin isn't ready, needs a good preseason.

PUT LAIRD BACK IN DEFENCE, PLEASE.
Himmelberg, bad? He had 10 touches, 2 goals, 7 score involvements and 2 goal assists, that is never a bad game under any measure. He was absolutely everywhere in the first half and then had some important plays during our 4th quarter comeback.

While Andrews took some great intercept marks, Berg did manage to bring the ball to ground a couple of times that he could have easily given up on and was able to beat Andrews at ground level on multiple occasions in deadly positions.

Has anyone seen a replay of the tackle that injured Worrell? In only it at the ground, but it looked like there was a dumping action that drove him into the ground.Did I see it wrong? Has there been any discussion?
Working from memory, but IIRC he was tackled to the ground and landed badly on his wrist. No (unreasonable) dumping or driving to the ground involved.

Last edited:
Yeah I really dont know what to make of ROB's game...

In the paper they gave him 2 votes and in teh best.

Watching live i thought he was getting soundly beaten by McInerney outside of a few OK marks.

I really hope we are on the lookout for a good long term Ruck option that we don't have to pay overs for. Ned Moyle and Goad could be options.
The Fox commentators also commented that they thought ROB had a good game deep into the 4th. His ruck work is always decent, but he actually started taking some marks yesterday which was promising. Ruck is still the least important position on the ground imo and I think we can get away with ROB for another 1-2 years and wait for someone like Tyler Goad to develop at North and bring him back home.

The Fox commentators also commented that they thought ROB had a good game deep into the 4th. His ruck work is always decent, but he actually started taking some marks yesterday which was promising. Ruck is still the least important position on the ground imo and I think we can get away with ROB for another 1-2 years and wait for someone like Tyler Goad to develop at North and bring him back home.
HE TOOK 2 MARKS

Barring injury, you'd have to think so. As much as it's annoying that they've pigeon-holed Curtin as a KPD, the one positive is that Borlase is the only remaining uninjured KPD we've got, so Curtin should stay in as long as his knee is good enough.

In fact, they may even decide to let him play in the more loose role than Worrell has been in, and hand off the pure stopper KPD role to Borlase.
They haven't pigeon holed him as a KPD, he wasn't on Daniher or Hipwood yesterday. He also wasn't on Logan Morris who is the 3rd tall. Playing on someone like Ah Chee is exactly what Birchall used to do, as he could defend but also provide a lot of drive off HB, so he's playing the role we see him most suited to atm. I had no issue with the role he played yesterday, but also thought he should have been given at least 1 more quarter to try work himself into the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the coaches put him on Ah Chee then they are extremely unprofessional - Ah Chee's strongest attribute is SPEED & he's 15cm shorter than Curtin. He didn't stand a chance with such an unforgivable match-up. He's naturally not ready yet especially given his size but the coaching/selection panel must have known that. I don't think he will end up a defender.
Curtin's an excellent mark & superb kick - not surprisingly ground work is not one of his strengths, so I repeat - why on earth would they put him on Ah Chee.

So what you are saying is if they see him starting his career in defence - which seems likely - there isn’t really a match up for him?

He isn’t going to stand Daniher or Hipwood. Worrell is going to get the third tall so he can peel off and help against the KPFs (so Morris) so he is generally getting a mobile player - and many think he has midfield attributes so you would think he could compete one to one even with the speed disadvantage

May change of course with Worrell going down

But perhaps with this match up we should have dropped him and bought him back when the oppo is a little less intense. (West Coast etc)

Haven’t seen the replay but at the ground everyone around was not if but when Curtin would get subbed - maybe it didn’t look as bad on tv

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just did the quick mental arithmetic, since the start of 2023 we're 2-7 in games decided by a goal or less along with yesterday's draw.

Bad luck or something else?
Youth. Lack of experience. Malcolm Blight said something along the lines last year that a young team will lose more close games than it wins. Then as it matures more, it starts to win those games they used to lose. We are getting closer.

Has anyone seen a replay of the tackle that injured Worrell? In only it at the ground, but it looked like there was a dumping action that drove him into the ground.Did I see it wrong? Has there been any discussion?

100% agree with this, pinned his arms and drove his head into the ground, but as we've seen this year its Brisbane, who are generally given a free pass at the MRO if you're of good character

It looked bad when I first saw it, but on replay it didn't look like a dump tackle to me.

Laird has done those little throw/handballs since his early days and mostly gotten away with it.

Annoying as there was no need for it in that moment, could have gotten a regular handball away.
I think half the problem is he's playing to the umpires consistency on calling that a throw, which was pretty much non-existent pre and post that 1 call that went against Laird.

Coaches' votes:

10 - Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
6 - Jack Payne (BL)
5 - Izak Rankine (ADEL)
4 - Hugh McCluggage (BL)
3 - Callum Ah Chee (BL)
2 - Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)

Three different possible breakdowns again this week:

5 Dawson
4 Payne
3 McCluggage
2 Fogarty
1 Rankine

5 Dawson
4 Rankine
3 Ah Chee
2 Payne
1 McCluggage

5 Dawson
4 Payne
3 Ah Chee
2 Rankine
1 Fogarty

5 Dawson
4 McCluggage
3 Rankine
2 Payne
1 Fogarty

5 Dawson
4 Rankine
3 Payne
2 Fogarty
1 Ah Chee

5 Dawson
4 McCluggage
3 Payne
2 Ah Chee
1 Rankine

He wasn’t selected based upon deep defensive performance. No matter, that’s where we’ll play him at the highest level. Laughable if it wasn’t so stupid and sad.
This troubles me a lot about Nicks (not just his favoritism towards scrappy triers and out-of-form senior players like Smith and Sloane).

Wasn't Curtin chosen because of how he played in a certain role, or because of his height/build and general skills?
Looking back at Jones/Fogarty and others, it seems that Nicks says ; "OK, we need a back pocket/CHB/hff/WHATEVER", then selects juniors NOT upon where they play best but according to a positional need, especially if it helps retain an underperforming senior.
It makes about as much sense as telling Rachele to Ruck.
It's square peg in a round hole stuff, bad Coaching and decision-making and wrecks the development of juniors like Curtin who need to be supported and given opportunities to shine in positions that they do best in.
From the AFC website:
"The Crows then used Pick No.8 to select Curtin. Considered the best key defenders in his draft year, Curtin is a 197cm left footer with excellent speed, agility and foot skills. He had an outstanding national championships for WA, where he averaged 23 disposals and six marks per game playing as a defender and midfielder".
He was chosen as a mobile run-forward defender and occasional mid, not a static, lock-down defender deep in defence.
I can't imagine what Curtin is thinking/feeling after the last 2 weeks, but I don't think it's anything good.

ROB right now doesn't bother me as much as the fact that we haven't got a replacement yet, and he turns 29 next year.
Our succession plan was to sign up a reserve ruckman the same age & refuse to play him even when ROB is in a patch of atrocious form (bar once briefly).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back