Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I alone in thinking that the club has rushed Curtin into the AFL team before he was ready, succumbing to pressure from the public (mirrored here on BF)? He was hardly carving it up in the SANFL, and has struggled in the 2 AFL games he's played. Subbing him out may not have been popular, but was the right decision to make in both games.

He wasn't carving it up as a KPD and is certainly in a development phase there even at SANFL level, but was doing pretty well off the HB where he was less accountable, and was showing a lot of promise with his run/vision and decision making. He's such a beautiful kick.

I think he'll make way for the Pies game. He just needs to get up to the speed difference between SANFL/AFL, no way should he be given a key position just yet. I do like the idea of giving him more minutes at HB though

100% on Nicks - although players share some of that as well. Milera Hinge and Smith in particular all started the season really poorly. Was that game plan or them? Hard to tell. They have gradually improved (excluding Milera obviously) as the season has gone on. Dawson poor early and Walker injury didn’t help either
But I would agree Nicks over compensated on defence this year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Players were out of form, but I put a lot of that down to how we were being asked to play.

Milera was one instead of playing like he used to with dash and taking the game on, was going back behind his mark and taking ages to get rid of the ball.

Hinges disposal sucked and that’s on him.

As for Smith, if his form was down don’t play him, but we know Nicks lust for experience. He replaced Nank with him FFS.

Nicks played our team out of form with a stupid gameplan and blamed the players, no responsibility at all. He’s no Ken Hinkley ;)

Am I alone in thinking that the club has rushed Curtin into the AFL team before he was ready, succumbing to pressure from the public (mirrored here on BF)? He was hardly carving it up in the SANFL, and has struggled in the 2 AFL games he's played. Subbing him out may not have been popular, but was the right decision to make in both games.
I'd have agreed if we brought him earlier than the Showdown, but he had a breakout SANFL game where he was comfortably the best player in the reserves, and he was able to come in for Hamill who wasn't having a huge impact. It made sense to debut him against Port for sure.

I'm also not sure there was massive pressure to bring him in honestly. Nicks never really got questions about it at press conferences and it wasn't a big point of discussion in the media, just here on BF. Nicks brought up Curtin on his own as a possible future inclusion prior to the North Melbourne game, then Curtin had 30+ and a goal in the SANFL that weekend and he came in. Fairly organic I think.

The question is what's next. He's obviously had a nightmare game against Brisbane, they can either drop him back to the SANFL now that he's had some AFL experience and give him some things to work on, or back him in as Worrell's replacement for a few more weeks. I'd prefer the latter personally, at least for one more game, maybe up until the bye if he is showing improvement.

Good:
Fog - Looked back to his best, needed to step up with Tex being well beaten
Dawson - Thats the Dawson we know and love, threw the team on his back and nearly got us over the line
Rankine - 23 disposals (14 contested) and kicked 3.1, had a big month
Soligo - Another strong game
Berg - Played a really good team game and kicked 2.1 himself

Bad:
Laird and Crouch - Stat padding nothing players useless outside of a stoppage
McHenry - Such a nothing player, likely swaps with Murphy and we start the charade all over
Smith - Which of his 2 disposals last week got him a starting game, well one was a turnover so I guess the other one. Retire.
Tex - well and truly beaten, still kicked 2 though
Jones - how he seems to be locked in the 22 is beyond me

Ugly:
Subbing Curtin at half time and then Worrell getting injured
Alas smith and Jones :-(

I'd have agreed if we brought him earlier than the Showdown, but he had a breakout SANFL game where he was comfortably the best player in the reserves, and he was able to come in for Hamill who wasn't having a huge impact. It made sense to debut him against Port for sure.

I'm also not sure there was massive pressure to bring him in honestly. Nicks never really got questions about it at press conferences and it wasn't a big point of discussion in the media, just here on BF. Nicks brought up Curtin on his own as a possible future inclusion prior to the North Melbourne game, then Curtin had 30+ and a goal in the SANFL that weekend and he came in. Fairly organic I think.

The question is what's next. He's obviously had a nightmare game against Brisbane, they can either drop him back to the SANFL now that he's had some AFL experience and give him some things to work on, or back him in as Worrell's replacement for a few more weeks. I'd prefer the latter personally, at least for one more game, maybe up until the bye if he is showing improvement.

Port/Brisbane/Collingwood is as difficult a run as you're going to get.

My preference would be to drop him back to the SANFL for this weekend and look to give him some game time for WC/Hawks/Richmond run of games

My preference would be to drop him back to the SANFL for this weekend and look to give him some game time for WC/Hawks/Richmond run of games
There's no SANFL game this week due to another state game.

Could make him sub I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... they can either drop [Curtin] back to the SANFL now that he's had some AFL experience and give him some things to work on, or back him in as Worrell's replacement for a few more weeks. I'd prefer the latter personally, at least for one more game, maybe up until the bye if he is showing improvement.
+
I'm sure we're agreed that Curtin has a big future.
I'd prefer to see such a talented kid making mistakes and learning whiie acclimatising to the speed and pressure of AFL, than tearing it up in the SANFL.
Port/Brisbane/Collingwood is a baptism of fire for sure, but his confidence could only be boosted by being retained on the back of the Worrell injury. Nicks (or Hombsch) has got to get in his ear and tell him to play with freedom/flair and take a chance or two higher up the ground.

+

I'm sure we're agreed that Curtin has a big future.
I'd prefer to see such a talented kid making mistakes and learning whiie acclimatising to the speed and pressure of AFL, than tearing it up in the SANFL.
Port/Brisbane/Collingwood is a baptism of fire for sure, but his confidence could only be boosted by being retained on the back of the Worrell injury. Nicks (or Hombsch) has got to get in his ear and tell him to play with freedom/flair and take a chance or two higher up the ground.

Yeah i just watched the replay and he was unfortunately SO SO out of his depth. We have a very slim chance against the Pies and the MCG just isn't the place to find form. Worrell is a KPD, Curtin is not even close to cementing those skills at SANFL level. He performed quite well off HB and that's what got him a senior game.

At this stage he's quite far behind in terms of the pace of the game, and there are better games to give him that exposure beyond the Pies game.

He's 197cm, we all know big lads take a while to get going, we should be stoked he's getting a look in already. Everyone on this board freaking out he was the only Top 10 that was yet to play again whilst forgetting he's a tall defender, and likely playing sore. We need some patience

Yeah i just watched the replay and he was unfortunately SO SO out of his depth. We have a very slim chance against the Pies and the MCG just isn't the place to find form. Worrell is a KPD, Curtin is not even close to cementing those skills at SANFL level. He performed quite well off HB and that's what got him a senior game.

At this stage he's quite far behind in terms of the pace of the game, and there are better games to give him that exposure beyond the Pies game.

He's 197cm, we all know big lads take a while to get going, we should be stoked he's getting a look in already. Everyone on this board freaking out he was the only Top 10 that was yet to play again whilst forgetting he's a tall defender, and likely playing sore. We need some patience
Playing him vs Pies at The G and he comes thru well - plays his role without last weekends issues - and it’s probably character building and good for him.

BUT play another stinking half and…we don’t want another potential McAsey situation developing here.

The conservative option would be to drop him for this weekend I agree. Interesting to see what Maestro Nicks does.

They rushed him into being a 1v1 defender, yes. It doesn't look like he's a 1v1 defender though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back