Review Good/bad/ugly vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I did say "nearly all" not all. That game was weirdly different to most, we actually jumped them early and tried to attack throughout, entertaining for sure.
Exception to the rule game. Same as the Tigers game last year that was goal for goal most of the day. That game was so fun.

Good
Tracc was absolutely phenomenal. Almost single-handedly won the game for us.
After a really poor start, got ourselves into a position where we almost snatched the impossible.

Bad
Falling short by a point. So painful.
The 'dangerous tackle' call that could have been the winning goal.

Fugly
Our continued inability to adapt to wet conditions and fumble the ball into their hands over and over and over again.
The forward line for most of the game. Petty, JVR and Stafford all have serious question marks over their heads.

Only way we get anything out of last night is if we keep Trac forward. Goodwin keeps teasing us with this and whenever he does it looks so natural. Just keep him there.

Ugly: Scoreless at quarter time. Camera pans to our coaching panel at the interchange showing Goodwin looking absolutely dumbfounded (default facial expression I guess) and Stafford just shrugging his shoulders.

Billings sucks. He is just a worse version of Spargo.

What a sh** team is our awful Demons. They are testing my loyalty.

3 goals to halftime? Don't expect to win. And don't whinge about anything else. There no one to blame except themselves. That loss is as bad as anything else since 1954.

Just Bad with dash of ugly.

Hard to believe how un-enjoyable our successful period has been, 2021 was amazing, but just wanted to watch us at the G and win some finals, at least make a grand final. Not everyone can attend the footy and people live elsewhere, but man, last night was a pisstake.

It’s a long season though, hopefully they surprise us.

Hard to believe how un-enjoyable our successful period has been, 2021 was amazing, but just wanted to watch us at the G and win some finals, at least make a grand final. Not everyone can attend the footy and people live elsewhere, but man, last night was a pisstake.

It’s a long season though, hopefully they surprise us.
I had kinda wondered when we won the flag if footy would feel less important but I genuinely almost wish we never won the flag, the excitement of chasing it was so much more enjoyable than the post period of that night.

I had kinda wondered when we won the flag if footy would feel less important but I genuinely almost wish we never won the flag, the excitement of chasing it was so much more enjoyable than the post period of that night.
As up and down as the Roos era to Goodwin before 2021 was, the excitement of success really was something else.

Now it’s like, we should just be better, and we’re not, kinda thing that turns supporters off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not winning a final in the last two years has really hurt. If we’d at least beaten Brisbane and Carlton last two years it wouldn’t have felt anywhere near as bad.

Not winning a final in the last two years has really hurt. If we’d at least beaten Brisbane and Carlton last two years it wouldn’t have felt anywhere near as bad.
Not playing the style we did though, I would have enjoyed it if the games were enjoyable but making a prelim playing that style wouldn't have ment a single thing to me

Just Ugly ...That first quarter . Despite still having some quality players , i'm feeling this team has peaked as a group .
Prove me wrong Goodwin. ( Players with under 20 games exempt ) .

Only way we get anything out of last night is if we keep Trac forward. Goodwin keeps teasing us with this and whenever he does it looks so natural. Just keep him there.
yep needs to be 70-30 forward. He could genuinely become the best forward in the league IMO if his goal kicking holds up. ANB, Kozzy, Rivers, McVee taking his minutes on ball makes us look so much more balanced.

Good
Tracc was absolutely phenomenal. Almost single-handedly won the game for us.
After a really poor start, got ourselves into a position where we almost snatched the impossible.

Bad
Falling short by a point. So painful.
The 'dangerous tackle' call that could have been the winning goal.

Fugly
Our continued inability to adapt to wet conditions and fumble the ball into their hands over and over and over again.
The forward line for most of the game. Petty, JVR and Stafford all have serious question marks over their heads.
As far as 1 point losses go, I thought this one was as one of the least painful of all time

Ugly
  • Insipid first quarter, game all but over due to lack of effort
  • Fritsch and Kosi's total lack of intensity. Happening more weeks than not now and it kills us when we always have at least 2 slow talls down there as well
  • Billings. Awful. Why he would be picked ahead of Woewodin, particularly in those conditions, is a total mystery.
  • Don't usually complain about umps but that free against JVR was a disgrace. No slinging motion, stock standard tackle in the side.

Good
  • Trac's most impactful game since the Grand Final. He needs to be kicking goals to be the player we need him to be.
  • Woey's impact once he came on.

Good & Bad
- We can actually score goals when we try to move the ball quickly. Who knew this could be an effective tactic in the AFL in 2024!

Our first forward entry basically summed up our problems this year. Great ball movement by hand down the wing, Chandler kicking to an open forwardline and Petty and Fritsch both lead backwards towards goal. Chandler has no choice but to kick onto their heads giving Carlton time to get back and kill the ball. If just one of them had lead towards the available space it would have been an easy shot at goal.

Geez I was pretty zen last night but I’m filthy this morning.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

I was filthy last night but feel zen this morning - maybe missing that s**t show was good for my chakras.

Thought we'd know where we are at after the Cats and Blues games. I'm not sure how much I've learnt other than on our day we are the best defense in the league but still struggle inside 50 unless Fritsch or Kozz are up and about.

We also continue to struggle in wet games.

Our first forward entry basically summed up our problems this year. Great ball movement by hand down the wing, Chandler kicking to an open forwardline and Petty and Fritsch both lead backwards towards goal. Chandler has no choice but to kick onto their heads giving Carlton time to get back and kill the ball. If just one of them had lead towards the available space it would have been an easy shot at goal.
Second forward entry another howler. More crowded forwardline, but Langdon has an easy 15 metre kick to ANB on his own who has Petracca nearby to assist. Decides to go for a high up and under kick to Fritsch's head who's hemmed himself into the pocket. JVR manages to intercept as it comes back out and now Carlton have gotten back. Petracca is pointing to his leading lane along the boundary line which is ignored and now he's covered but Trac keeps the lane open. Petty then decides to take it only for JVR to once again kick it far too long and Petty has to stop and attempt a contested mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back