• Patrick Parnell

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a lot of it is our inability to mark in the defensive 50. Butts, Doods and Murray are average at best this year and it means we have players who just go for territory in a panic when struggling to win the ball at ground level. That is then compounded because we always allow the defence to have spare men back, so we're quite easy to set up a defensive wall against and allow repeat entries in whenever we send it back out.

It's probably another reason they've thrown Dawson back so much this year too. Frampton clearly can't be a key defender, but maybe they need to consider him instead of Dawson down back and allow Dawson to move further up the ground again.
Totally agree they should be playing Frampton in Dawson's spot. Dawson isn't a KPD just as Frampton isn't but Frampton can intercept mark and has a good kick which is why they are playing Dawson down back. I don't understand why Frampton was completely dropped after the Carlton game. We all know he can't defend but as long as we play Murray and Butts he doesn't need too. Its like Nick's kicked him to the curb for all roles because he didn't perform a role he's not cut out for. Nick's should be trying anything to get our most damaging player on a wing where he can damage. You could also bring Worrell in for Smith so you could play Murray or Frampton in the ruck when Thilthorpe isn't rucking. Getting Dawson on a wing makes us a two goal better team. Hinge on the other wing and we have two penetrating kicks on our wings.

Last edited:
Totally agree they should be playing Frampton in Dawson's spot. Dawson isn't a KPD just as Frampton isn't but Frampton can intercept mark and has a good kick which is why they are playing Dawson down back. I don't understand why Frampton was completely dropped after the Carlton game. We all know he can't defend but as long as we play Murray and Butts he doesn't need too. Its like Nick's kicked him to the curb for all roles because he didn't perform a role he's not cut out for. Nick's should be trying anything to get our most damaging player on a wing where he can damage. You could also bring Worrell in for Smith so you could play Murray or Frampton in the ruck when Thilthorpe isn't rucking. Getting Dawson on a wing makes us a two goal better team. Hinge on the other wing and we have two penetrating kicks on our wings.
Or play Worrell in that role?

IMG_0749.JPG

Here’s your problem:

We recorded only 5 Inside 50 tackles, compared to their 21. Not sure how that was even possible to record such a low number in wet weather footy.

We’re obviously racking up A LOT of tackles around the contest, but sweet FA around the loose balls in F50 and D50

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ni
View attachment 1449775

Here’s your problem:

We recorded only 5 Inside 50 tackles, compared to their 21. Not sure how that was even possible to record such a low number in wet weather footy.

We’re obviously racking up A LOT of tackles around the contest, but sweet FA around the loose balls in F50 and D50

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nicks pushes up our pressure smalls in the middle between the half back/half forward lines. That's why our tackles are,all in the middle. This costs us goals for and against. A lot of this s**t strategy is all because of our bad ruck. That's why he pushes up the smalls to jam the midfield. He knows ROB is the problem but uses bandaid measures to patch it up.

Last edited:
I don't want to harp on about this but kicks marked (by us) from the boot of Dawson vs Smith might be interesting reading.
My gripe with Brodie ATM is that he is really just kicking where Dawson (and now Parnell too) are invariably trying to pass. This might be harsh on Smith as Dawson has an elite 50m leg. Low and targeted.
One out of 18 for Smith but another two should have been taken. Chest marks that slipped through.

Dawson had technically had 5 of his 15 kicks marked (one was luck) and one should have been taken. Another dropped chest mark.

I'm unsure why he doesn't kick 30 metres more often, he's quite a flat and accurate kick. He did a few in the Hawks game. It must be a directive from the coaches to kick long as he keeps on doing it.

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ni

Nicks pushes up our pressure smalls in the middle between the half back/half forward lines. That's why our tackles are,all in the middle. This costs us goals for and against. A lot of this s**t strategy is all because of our bad ruck. That's why he pushes up the smalls to jam the midfield. He knows ROB is the problem but uses bandaid measures to patch it up.

Exactly, our s**t gameplan of getting plus one at the contest leaves us a player short in our forward line.

Not surprising at all our f50 tackles are very low.

SAT, JULY 16
Adelaide Crows
Adelaide Crows
vs

Collingwood
Collingwood
VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Nick Daicos (COLL)
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
Taylor Walker (ADEL)
Rory Laird (ADEL)
Patrick Lipinski (COLL)
Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

Turner decision was more to add experience to the SANFL side to complement our young developing team, is Carmichael a good ball user as we need to get Taylor into the side and then also Sogilo to play more midfield and then create another midfield spot for Pedlar.

Thats a load of bollocks, if they wanted to take that approach they would of just selected him with our second MSD selection.

Ogilvy clearly rated Turner higher which on the weekend's performance you really need to question. I know Turner had an absolute day out against us in Round 4 but apart from that was he a standout? I was astounded when we didnt select Carmichael when he was still available, seemed the perfect player for us.

Thats a load of bollocks, if they wanted to take that approach they would of just selected him with our second MSD selection.

Ogilvy clearly rated Turner higher which on the weekend's performance you really need to question. I know Turner had an absolute day out against us in Round 4 but apart from that was he a standout? I was astounded when we didnt select Carmichael when he was still available, seemed the perfect player for us.
Why? Carmichael isn't as experience as Turner, we weren't going down the route we did with Parnell last year.

Hate to say this to everybody, but we need to consider the likely fact that Worrell just isn't considered AFL standard. Same could be said about Frampton, Borlase, Newchurch.

Newchurch hasn't done anything that Rowe or Wright hasn't done many times more (except run fast - talking about kicking goals).

Not to say these guys won't make it, but sick of this rubbish about gifting games to 'see how they go', 'how do we know they're not good enough if we don't play them?'.

Just because you in the top players at SANFL, doesn't mean you are at the bottom level of AFL.

Having said that, I fully expect Turner and Taylor to get a run by the end of the year, the coaches have been indicating this for weeks now.

Hate to say this to everybody, but we need to consider the likely fact that Worrell just isn't considered AFL standard. Same could be said about Frampton, Borlase, Newchurch.

Newchurch hasn't done anything that Rowe or Wright hasn't done many times more (except run fast - talking about kicking goals).

Not to say these guys won't make it, but sick of this rubbish about gifting games to 'see how they go', 'how do we know they're not good enough if we don't play them?'.

Just because you in the top players at SANFL, doesn't mean you are at the bottom level of AFL.

Having said that, I fully expect Turner and Taylor to get a run by the end of the year, the coaches have been indicating this for weeks now.
Why did we give Worrell another 2 years then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you talking about the game he did play vs St Kilda?

Pretty average unfortunately, terrible conditions though.
No, we resigned him after that game. I am talking about whether we have tried him in the AFL this year based on his solid form and the potential we saw in him when we resigned him for 2 years.

No, we resigned him after that game. I am talking about whether we have tried him in the AFL this year based on his solid form and the potential we saw in him when we resigned him for 2 years.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, it's possible that his solid form just isn't that great.

You know I'm an optimist and would like to see him succeed, but it doesn't look good for him. It can take a while for his type of player though. Same draft Sydney took Gould the player a lot here wanted, still hasn't played a game despite good form.

This is where the big disconnect is. We've got a top of the ladder SANFL team, being told there's pressure on selection at AFL level because of it, but then there's absolutely zero changes being made at the selection table with the small group of players being picked, with the coaches then saying no one has demanded they be brought up. So either we've got a bunch of guys who are good enough at SANFL level, but won't take the next step, in which case our drafting and developing sucks ass, and list management need to be questioned on why they're keeping these guys around, or we've got coaches who are refusing to pick players in good form or who have shown potential because they're stubborn or hell bent on following some arbitrary rule about only wanting to use certain players.

And that then goes against things the coaches are saying as well. Nicks sits there and bemoans a lack of speed in the side, but when push comes to shove he rates the form of Murphy in 1 SANFL game ahead of the form Newchurch over a 4 week block, with Newchurch also possessing a skill Nicks complains we don't have in the side. Either way it does not paint a good picture for the team and the future going forward.

I suspect the issue with Worrell has to be a lack of a clear position for him. If Doedee was out I'm sure he'd come in for him as a rebounding mid-sized defender, but they don't have another role for him and obviously Doedee is a senior player. Not a great situation for him to be in or a great drafting outcome if that is the case.

I suspect the issue with Worrell has to be a lack of a clear position for him. If Doedee was out I'm sure he'd come in for him as a rebounding mid-sized defender, but they don't have another role for him and obviously Doedee is a senior player. Not a great situation for him to be in or a great drafting outcome if that is the case.
We've played Dawson down back for most of the 2nd half of the year after saying we recruited him as a wing/midfielder. There was an obvious position for Worrell there, but we preferred to waste 2 months playing Jackson Hately as a winger and leaving Dawson down back.

We've played Dawson down back for most of the 2nd half of the year after saying we recruited him as a wing/midfielder. There was an obvious position for Worrell there, but we preferred to waste 2 months playing Jackson Hately as a winger and leaving Dawson down back.
I don't think Dawson is primarily playing as an intercepting defender though, more of a running half back akin to Smith's role, using his skills to drive transition out of defence. I suspect they don't see Worrell having comparable offensive weapons, and his role would be more or less Doedee's role, if there is a spot for him in the seniors at all. That said I don't have any particular evidence for that, just where I think he is at.

Waste of a top 30 draft pick selecting somebody they had no intention of playing.

Again there's that disconnect between our recruiters and coaches.

I think you need to give Worrell a good run at AFL level to see if he isn't good enough. They won't even afford him that opportunity.

Last edited:
Back