Grand Final decided in 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLX Grand Final should have been two legs. Adelaide had the unfair advantage of having the Grand Final at their home ground. The second leg should have been in Geelong.
should definitely be a best of 9 series

should definitely be a best of 9 series

Featuring the entire playing squad. Every player on the list must play at least twice. Injured played must be named, but must turn up and can sit the game out on the bench.

Featuring the entire playing squad. Every player on the list must play at least twice. Injured played must be named, but must turn up and can sit the game out on the bench.
also, retired players upto 6 years into retirement, as well as former cheer squad presidents

Grand Final game 2 would have the sting out of it with Richmond starting with a 48 point advantage, right?
1989. Geelong was beaten by the Bombers by 76 points in the QF. Geelong played the Bombers in the PF two weeks later and won by 94 points - a 170 point turnaround.

That said, a GF over 2 weeks is nonsense. What's next? Playing Aussie Rules on a rectangular field?

I think this is a product of today's generation - no one knows how to accept failure. Their parents always shielded them as kids, they received participation ribbons, teachers have to sugar coat any criticism in reports and we even have no scoring in underage footy and cricket now days. People always want to blame others if they lose. Maybe instead of finding more convoluted ways to make things 'fairer' people people just need to accept things for the way they are, toughen the truck up and move on....

No.

It's because one team gets to play on its home ground.

While the other team has to travel and play on a ground it plays on perhaps once a season.

Irrespective of ladder position.

West Coast thrashed Hawthorn 3 weeks before the GF when played on their home ground.

Adelaide thrashed Richmond when they played on their home ground.

It's a huge disadvantage to the interstate team and maybe even the etihad teams if they come up against an MCG tenant.

This thread is a typical responce from the type of person who can only see what is right in front of them and not beyond it.

What problem are you trying to solve?

In the next Melbourne V Richmond grand final, why the hell do they need to play twice again?
Melbourne...grand final... hahaha calm down mate..

The grand final has been played at the MCG for decades and previous iterations of interstate teams (the late 90s Crows, West Coast, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane) have not had a problem winning grand finals at the venue. That their successors can’t is more down to their talent, not the venue.

Despite all the research on home ground advantage i, as a tenant of the grand final venue, choose to disbelieve it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is typical of modern society.
If you dont get what you want you blame the system and want it changed.
When will people come to suck up their salty tears and realise that the Tigers are 2017 Champions?
Personally I'm loving the tears.

Despite all the research on home ground advantage i, as a tenant of the grand final venue, choose to disbelieve it.
I live in WA and watch all Eagles and Dockers games, often live. When both clubs have good outfits they make the most of that advantage but both teams have finished within the bottom 2-3 in the past 8 years and the home advantage didnt help them. On he flip side it didn’t work against Brisbane in 2001-2003 despite playing MCG tenants or Geelong when they won their flags. It’s a losers excuse

This thread is typical of modern society.
If you dont get what you want you blame the system and want it changed.
When will people come to suck up their salty tears and realise that the Tigers are 2017 Champions?
Personally I'm loving the tears.

Guess what, modern society is better now than any previous society. People talk about modern society in negative terms don't seem to realise that as a society we are better now than we have ever been.

I would take 2018 Australia over 2005 Australia, over 1990 Australia, over 1980 Australia, over any other point in Australian history.

Why not do a best of 5

Game 1 - Gabba
Game 2 - scg
Game 3 - Adelaide oval
Game 4 - mcg
Game 5 - Optus stadium

Each week the capacity for members goes up!
So the more and more the games become cutthroat, the more members can attend.

Given the debate occurring at the moment about Melbourne teams having an unfair advantage in Grand Finals due to the game being at the MCG, another idea could be to hold 2 games of football to decide the Premiers.

So basically, it would be just like the International Rules series where the Premiers are decided on the best for and against across the two games.

Obviously, each game will be at each other’s home ground, however the higher ranked team can choose whether they play at home in game 1 or game 2 (an interesting decision if you ask me). So the last few Grand Finals would obviously tell a different story, given the Melbourne teams were the lower ranked sides.

I think Gil and the AFL would be keen on this as well, it would mean much more revenue for the AFL as there would be 2 Grand Finals and it’ll also show us who truly was the best team of the year.

Guess what, modern society is better now than any previous society. People talk about modern society in negative terms don't seem to realise that as a society we are better now than we have ever been.

I would take 2018 Australia over 2005 Australia, over 1990 Australia, over 1980 Australia, over any other point in Australian history.
Thanks Goodsey :thumbsu:

I forget the exact stats but I think a home ground advantage averaged up to equalling about 3 goals, on average at least, and when it comes to the Grand Final that is not a small amount as it essentially means one team given a disadvantage the moment they set foot on the ground.

I mean there are 3 possibilities as far as I am concerned

1 - Leave it as it is, accepting that Victorian clubs will always have an advantage in the Grand Final.
2 - Have 2 Grand Finals, the first one played at the home teams venue, and then playing at the other teams home venue, continuing the score from the previous week.
3 - Literally have 3 games and the winner is the team that wins 2 out of 3.

OMG, whinge, whinge, whinge, we had a stage not that long ago where there was no Victorian clubs as challengers, Swans, then West Coast, were premiers, Adelaide managed to beat two Victorian clubs in 97 and 98, Swans have won two premierships, defeating a Victorian club, Hawthorn in one GF, no complaints then.
Face up to the fact, that two underdog teams have been recent premiers based on dam good footy, that were the best on the day and move on.

Despite the moron brigade trying to shut down debate, its an interesting idea. Multiple game finals happen in many sports although for example, generally in the leadup to the actual final which is one. But hockey, nba etc have best of 7.

Superbowl has 1 but its at a neutral venue (unless team wins right to play at home but its decided the year before).

The AFL system of having a final played every year at the home ground of select clubs is actually the odd one out....so really not dumb as people suggest.

I personally think that finals are a double edged sword. One one hand it really is the excitement of who plays better on the day, one chance to win etc...but a bad day for a team can cost them a whole year of hard work for nothing...doesnt really reward the best team of the year but really the best team of the month.

Rather than mucking around with how many finals, Id rather just see it played at a neutral venue or the MCG be reserved for GFs and move the clubs to a new purpose built ground or H&A.

Or, scrap finals and go with an EPL style season that is longer, e.g. 34 games in an 18 team comp with larger squads to rotate through and crown the best the overall champion and then play some cup final or AFLX s**t.

I think tonight shows why this is a strong argument. Adelaide charging home in the final minutes would have made a Grand Final decided in 2 games a ripper.
Jeez chasing down 48 points

And falling short by 10.

Absolutely heartbreaking - and richmond would have walked away - their fans would have been a lot less arrogant - but knowing they had well and truly earnt it.

GF results: Vic v interstate in Melbourne

91 Haw d WC
92 WC d Geel
94 WC d Geel
96 NM d Syd
97 Adel d St K
98 Adel d NM
01 Bris d Ess
02 Bris d Coll
03 Bris d Coll
07 Geel d Port
12 Syd d Haw
13 Haw d Freo
14 Haw d Syd
15 Haw d WC
16 WB d Syd
17 Rich d Adel

16 matches

Vic 8
Interstate 8

(Remove Waverley and only look at the MCG, and the interstaters have actually won more than the Vics)

System is perfect, no need to change it.

Jeez, I remember mid-2000s when a Victorian team hadn’t even been in the GF for years and when they did meet, interstate teams had a long history of beating them senseless. People were decrying the end of Vic footy and the domination of interstate super clubs that would go on forever.

Things just go in cycles.

The worm turns and now they want to tear the whole system down.

It’s fine. Just get on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back