Grand Final decided in 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive done that for finals a few times.
Fair enough, I wouldn't know what an elimination final is like, let alone the big one :)

How much does a grand final cost anyway? I thought it was pretty expensive. Would hate to do it twice.

Adelaide probably would have chosen to have game 1 in Adelaide, so I think there may have been a different result... Even with a 48 point start, I think Adelaide may have gotten close at their home ground against the Tigers, plus they wouldn’t have given up towards the end of game 1.

Anyway, I think it makes for an interesting topic of conversation.
yeah, we would've won by more over there

the masters is the biggest golf tournament in the world, why? because it is played at the same venue. year in year out. the melbourne cup, correct me if i'm wrong, is every year held in melbourne isnt' it? the vfl then afl grand final is held in melbourne, 1 game, end of story

This is all very well and good, but the real question is, would the crows do their powerstance 2 weeks in a row?

Would they find Tex before the next game??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's a bad thing, not a good thing.

It's like all the replays, camera angles and 3rd umpires that were meant to draw an end to bad umpiring in sport. Instead we have more scrutiny than ever (Hawkeye breaking at the Australian Open, T20 umpiring, goal line reviews).

Innocence was better.
Back when you just had to accept somebody's word and move on.

Yeah I prefer pre tv and radio, the games lost its mystique being able to watch it and hear about it.

No, it was a bitter fan from the Geelong saltworks.

Actually Geelong is a good example of why this is a dumb idea. Does anyone think we should have the GF played at KP in front of 34K?

Suddenly some of their supporters do though this was never mentioned as an issue or option at any point until they got a home final in 2013.

I can’t remember anyone blaming the 2008 gf loss on being at hawthorns home ground, probably because it’s a stupid argument.

I actually didn’t say Adelaide lost because it was at the MCG. It definitely contributed to it, Richmond were better that day.

I am not sure if there is any other sporting competition in the world where a team fights all year for home ground advantage and then at the final game gives that advantage to it’s opposing team.

The NRL?

There should be a best of 7 World Series with the first 6 games alternating between each club's home ground - Victorian clubs get the right to choose any ground they wish as their home ground: MCG, Etihad, Kardinia Park or any of the old suburban grounds: Princes Park, Moorabbin, Whitten Oval, Victoria Park, Arden Street Oval, Glenferrie, etc

The deciding 7th game (if required) should be played at a neutral venue which is equidistant from the 2 competing clubs' training bases. So if Fremantle or West Coast were drawn to play a Victorian club, the Decider must be played at the Hermannsburgh Bulldogs oval (located about 50km west of Alice Springs)

FullSizeRender-28.jpg

FullSizeRender-14.jpg

2) Umpires must submit to background checks to determine if they (or their father, mother or paternal & maternal grandparents) were born in, or resided in either of the two competing clubs' home state. Once the geographical neutrality of the umpires is determined, a statistical analysis of their free kicks must be done to uncover any bias for or against the competing clubs. Any variance must be within 5% over the past 2 seasons and within 3% over their careers.

3) There is also the unfairness of accumulated travel throughout the season. To offset this, from January-August, players from Victorian clubs must also partake in SIX midweek football clinics in Broome, Darwin, Cooktown, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Mooloolaba, Toowoomba, Ballina, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie or Kalgoorlie in order to receive their eligibility to play finals. These must be separate trips to their club's scheduled interstate travel during the home & away season. Flights must originate from Melbourne Airport to these regional centres.

4) The Salary Cap will be abolished. ALL players will enter the National Draft at the beginning of every season with the wooden spooner receiving first pick and the premiers receiving the 18th pick. The AFL will pay each player's salary - an amount depending on where the player was drafted, plus performance-based bonuses should they make the finals, win the Premiership, win the Brownlow, or be selected in the All-Australian team or be rated as "elite" by Champion Data.

Brilliant

Finally a voice of reason in this thread

... gives supporters and fans a week (or less) to organise travel & tickets to the game.

(random thought)

Yep

That kills my idea as it’s simply not enough time for venues, catering, hotels and flights.

Thanks

Suddenly some of their supporters do though this was never mentioned as an issue or option at any point until they got a home final in 2013.

I can’t remember anyone blaming the 2008 gf loss on being at hawthorns home ground, probably because it’s a stupid argument.

If you go back to then, before the game Geelong fans were saying how getting a final down there would just a be one off because there were 4 finals in Melbourne that weekend...

Don't play the 3rd leg if a team wins the first two.
What sort of game do you think the 2nd leg would have been if we had 2 legs last year? 48 point lead taking into the 2nd leg would be a diabolical spectacle. The grand final is decided on 1 day. There are no second chances, no best of 7 or best of 3. You are either good enough or not good enough on that one day in September.

No just those interstaters who can’t handle their team choking on the big day
I actually don’t think they choked, that’s selling the tigers performance short. They lost pretty much in the same way the cats and giants did before them. Gave it their best shot but couldn’t handle the immense pressure the tigers brought. Like the giants and cats they hung on for dear life in the first half before the tigers cracked them open in the second.

What sort of game do you think the 2nd leg would have been if we had 2 legs last year? 48 point lead taking into the 2nd leg would be a diabolical spectacle. The grand final is decided on 1 day. There are no second chances, no best of 7 or best of 3. You are either good enough or not good enough on that one day in September.
Mike Brady would be turning in his grave at the thought of multiple days in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back