grand finals are going to be night from now on

Remove this Banner Ad

As Richmond secured an unforgettable 31-point win over Geelong in the 2020 AFL grand final, Seven’s coverage reached 7.5 million people across Australia, while its average national audience of 3.812 million was 30 per cent up year on year and the biggest grand final audience since 2016.
On a night when Dustin Martin became the first player to win three Norm Smith Medals, Seven recorded an average metro audience of 2.979 million, a whopping 36 per cent up year on year. It was also the biggest metro primetime audience on any network since Seven’s coverage of the 2017 Australian Open men’s final.
Seven also recorded a 76 per cent metro commercial share, the biggest ever recorded.

etc

given this i cant see it not happening

discuss:
Less people watching in groups at functions etc due to Covid. I reckon the numbers are deceiving. More TV sets were turned on, doesn’t mean more people were watching them.

I noticed some people overseas describe AFL as a poor man's version of rugby/football.

If the AFL gets more exposure at night will the newbies to the game be attracted to it.

I don't think peoples first impressions of last nights match would have been favourable.

Last edited:

The objective quality of the game isn't dependant on its timeslot. Look at last year's grand final. It was a snoozefest while this years was a far more enjoyable game. I personally believe a twilight grand final is the perfect compromise, but people need to realise that it's the 21st century. We're also in a covid enviroment where the league needs as much money as possible. If Channel 7 pays more for a night grand final, and if the ratings are better during the night, and if the quality is the same (if not better), then where is the downside?
I'm sorry to say you have nailed it, money will be the decider and we've all seen our last daytime Grand Final.Opinions will vary but I prefer the spectacle in daytime, admittedly mainly if it's a sunny day. But have to accept younger followers are more receptive to a night or twilight timeslot and they are the game's future. So we older traditionalists will just have to suck it up.

I was pretty apprehensive going into the game as I would much rather a 2:00pm start, I’m glad it didn’t start at 2pm because it was bucketing down (I was having lunch at a restaurant 500 metres away from the Gabba and street was starting to flood).

the half time entertainment and light show really swung my opinion in favour of a night time game.

The only negative I have out of last night was leaving the Gabba, there were to many people who were a bit pissy, which ruins it for the kids experience and I didn’t get back to my car until 11:30pm.

Sounds about right. More people watch it so I guess that’s when it should be.

Same reason for the MCG yeah?

I had a laugh at offsiders this morning when the Victorians were trying to argue that it was a game, not an event.

Yet try moving it away from the MCG and suddenly it's much more about the event.

You should be able to go for a celebratory pot and parma/i/y/o straight after the game. 10:30 - 11 PM finish is way too late.

Bounce the ball at 5 PM, Gill can have his glowing half-time balls at dusk and I still have time for a post-game meal.

It should also be interstate every four years - if we are serious about it being a national competition.

More people watched it on TV because everyone in Victoria had to stay home, not because the game was played at night.
Of course the TV numbers were going to look like that.

Keep the grand final to during the day!
Ratings have been up all year due to shorter games and the largest market being in their own homes all year.

‘Up 33% on last year’
But last year was the lowest rating GF for years
2020 - 3.8mil
2019 - 2.9mil
2018 - 3.4mil
2017 - 3.5mil
2016 - 4.1mil
2015 - 3.5mil
2014 - 3.7mil

It fits right in with the rest.
In 2018, I had 15 people over at my house watching the game, this year it was just me watching. Would I count as a rating point in both scenarios?

In Melbourne, there would have been far more TV sets tuned into the game - it doesn't necessarily mean there were more viewers.
We get it, you guys don't know how TV ratings work.

You should be able to go for a celebratory pot and parma/i/y/o straight after the game. 10:30 - 11 PM finish is way too late.

Bounce the ball at 5 PM, Gill can have his glowing half-time balls at dusk and I still have time for a post-game meal.

It should also be interstate every four years - if we are serious about it being a national competition.
In WA we usually start our Saturday night games at 5.40, great time to watch the footy and when its finished at 8.40 still not too late to kick on afterwards. Most kids can stay up until then as well.

my mates kid was pumped all week to watch the cats.
much like his team, he was asleep at HT.

I don't like it as it robs that audience of the outcome of the day
i was 11 when we won in 93 and spent the arvo watching the replay
one of my fondest footy memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They may be better commercially, but the standard is generally better during the day. From my selfish point of view, I enjoy waking up and having a few hours to get excited then the game and the night to enjoy it.

Sitting around all day getting nervous is no fun at all.

it was pissing cats and dogs all day in Brisbane. Standard during the day would've been abysmal. In hindsight, the night start was spot on.

tenor.gif

Twilight finals and Night GF are both awful ideas.

We will never have another day grand final simply because night grand finals are what the AFL has always wanted and now they've got it. Just like all their dumb rule changes they've made over the years, they never ever admit the change is a mistake, no turning back.

Ratings have been up all year due to shorter games and the largest market being in their own homes all year.

‘Up 33% on last year’
2020 - 3.8mil
2019 - 2.9mil
2018 - 3.4mil
2017 - 3.5mil
2016 - 4.1mil
2015 - 3.5mil
2014 - 3.7mil

So really 400,000 more than the 2018 gf, 300,000 more than 2017 but 300 , 000 less than 2016.

How does that justify changing it permanently? It doesnt.

Especially this year when people are in lockdown and the only thing.to do is watch tv from home.

So about less than 300k above the general amount. 70k of those would be at the ground in normal circumstances.

You would have been hoping for a much bigger spike given the situation in Victoria
add to that the # of melburnians watching on a single set vs. having groups in homes.

3.8 seems quite soft given we're told 6.4m of us are prisoners.

‘Up 33% on last year’
2020 - 3.8mil
2019 - 2.9mil
2018 - 3.4mil
2017 - 3.5mil
2016 - 4.1mil
2015 - 3.5mil
2014 - 3.7mil

And factoring in Victoria being in lockdown + both being Victorian teams, it’s quite unders in comparison to prior years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back