Greatest Ever Behind

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
Besides the obvious in Jessica Simpson, the greatest ever behind I've seen a North Melb player kick was Daniel Motlop in the reserves a few years back where he grabbed the ball on a HBF, bounced 3 times to the centre circle & then at full tilt, torpedoed the ball hitting the right goal post on the padding!

You could include any of Arnie's in the 1st 1977 Grand Final.

At least with that many points we got the chance to beat the Scum the following week.:D

I remember one game were Carey was trying to be smart,ran into an open goal went the checkside and missed.Boy did he cop it from the opposition supporters.I can't remember who the other side was.

That Motlop torpedo at Port was the best I can remember. The worst are the 11 we kicked in the second quarter of the '98 GF..................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..............still haven't got over that!

T'toes

Twinkletoes said:
That Motlop torpedo at Port was the best I can remember. The worst are the 11 we kicked in the second quarter of the '98 GF..................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..............still haven't got over that!

T'toes

Another round of shock treatment needed Twinkletoes to bury those 98 memories, the point McKernan kicked from inside the goal square 3/4 years ago was a shocker, he must have been no more than 5 metres out. Went the big torp and had a shank. Won't be in the big fellas highlight's package.

Cheers all.

How about the 10 painstaking points in the 4th quarter Rd 12, 1999 against Melbourne to beat them by 1 point? :eek:

I remember a night game against Geelong around 95 (??) when Carey got a free/mark in the goal square and he kicked it into the man on the mark. It was quite amusing. Not really the greatest ever behind because I don't believe he scored off it!:)

Wellsy in Rnd 3 vs StK in the final quarter. Darted thru the centre, took a few bounces and would of been a NORTH CROWD PLEASER but he missed. >>sigh <<< :( Goal of the Year nomination and definately in his highlight reel package had he Nailed it from 35m out. So dissappointing. Missed an easier one the following week vs the Pies. :mad:

Kylie Minogue in the gold hot pants.

Gwen Steffani in the red marching girl outfit (aint no holler back girl)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uncle_Leo said:
Glenn Archer with seconds left in the first half of the 96 Grand Final, had he kicked it bursting out of the middle we may have won by 80 points.

Agree. But there's a fine line in footy. 20 minutes earlier if Paul Kelly does the same thing, the Swans would have been Premiers for 1996.

Uncle_Leo said:
Glenn Archer with seconds left in the first half of the 96 Grand Final, had he kicked it bursting out of the middle we may have won by 80 points.
Good call Uncle Leo. That would've been a great goal. As would David Kings in the 1st Q against Ess in `that' game in 2001 when we kicked 10 or so in the 1st Q & Kingy was streaming out of the middle & kicked a behind.

definitely blightys point after running into an open goal.

could include any of roccas misses from 10 metres out !!

1997LeadGoalKicker said:
How about the 10 painstaking points in the 4th quarter Rd 12, 1999 against Melbourne to beat them by 1 point? :eek:
Hehe, the last eight scoring shots were behinds scored by us. :)

Can't really argue against Blighty's open point, one for the ages.

Brett Allison

Open goal

On the run

Final Quarter

1994 Preliminary final

.............no need to remind you all as to what happened after the siren blew.

Devil Fish said:
Good call Uncle Leo. That would've been a great goal. As would David Kings in the 1st Q against Ess in `that' game in 2001 when we kicked 10 or so in the 1st Q & Kingy was streaming out of the middle & kicked a behind.

I think we had kicked 12 straight to that stage and it was seconds before the quarter time siren. I, my wife and 3 kids only see one game a year and it was a 600 km round trip. At half time I don't think I've ever fealt so close to my family. It was like a scene from the Grisswalds Family Christmas when Clark finally got the lights to work!

Went to Geelong with two Geelong mates in the mid-80s I think. Didn't stop raining all day and after a promsing start my recollection is that we kicked one point after 1/4 time. Slithered through in the last 1/4 from a long way out. Really cheered me up no end.

Memory's a bit foggy- may have been just a bad dream. Mastermind will know.

Mr Reliable said:
Went to Geelong with two Geelong mates in the mid-80s I think. Didn't stop raining all day and after a promsing start my recollection is that we kicked one point after 1/4 time. Slithered through in the last 1/4 from a long way out. Really cheered me up no end.

Memory's a bit foggy- may have been just a bad dream. Mastermind will know.

Well you're nearly on the money. The game was in 1980 and at quarter time we lead by 11 points but from then on the Cats outscored us 12.3 to 1.1 - including nothing at all in the second half...not a single solitary point! In the 25 years since the only other side to be scoreless in an entire half was Fitzroy in the opening round of 1995 against Essendon - and that was in the first half. What a great start to the season!

Marstermind said:
Well you're nearly on the money. The game was in 1980 and at quarter time we lead by 11 points but from then on the Cats outscored us 12.3 to 1.1 - including nothing at all in the second half...not a single solitary point! In the 25 years since the only other side to be scoreless in an entire half was Fitzroy in the opening round of 1995 against Essendon - and that was in the first half. What a great start to the season!

It was a shocker!!!! Thanks again, you're a bloody genius MM.

Your mentions of Fitzroy conjure up some awful memories also- night final at Waverley when we were raging favourites (the Harris, McMahon, Wilson era) and the game at the Junction oval when the Roys kicked 36 goals to our a lot less). Please don't look 'em up.

As a general question based on nothing more than gut feel, do all the clubs disappoint their supporters equally over the years or do some clubs plunge the depths regularly (I'd say that's us- when we're bad we're very bad) while others settle at a mediocre level without plunging too often (Essendon, Carlton before the last few years)?. What's other people's gut feel?

I still reckon Gwen Steffani has got the greatest ever behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back