Greene's One Week - Mabo, the Vibe, Justice

Remove this Banner Ad

What's Greene and sticky?
An eye
I was walking past GWS Stadium this week. All the players were shouting, ‘13....13....13'.

The fence was too high to see over, but I saw a little gap in the planks and peeked through to see what was going on.

Suddenly, Toby Greene the dirty little bastard, poked me in the eye and then they all started shouting ‘14...14...14’...

GWS mods are weaker than piss.

Haha, yeah, saw that. If you’re really wanting to take a break from BigFooty, you dan’t need to get yourself banned, just ask our mods to organise it for you ;)

Rocking the TG cufflinks - what a tosser lol

1bdf8d8e-e01d-4445-8ec5-7d2884dfe0e2-jpeg.748879

That's something I have done in the past.. to be honest.. well I'm still doing it.. starting to think I'm a tosser as well.. bit of a reality check that pic.

Posters on Main Forum wanting Greene cleared due to the evidence given by Neale. Was interesting to read the Wikipedia of former Hawthorn Player - David Polkinghorne which read.In the 1982 Qualifying Final against Carlton he was struck in the face by Wayne Johnston and then gave evidence against him at the tribunal,thus breaking a code of silence. Johnston was found guilty and suspended.
I remember at the time it was big news due to being a perceived big NO NO.That code of silence is an inherent rule among the players that has stood the test of time.

It’s not a binary thing, in addition to the choices of giving evidence in support, or against, there is the third option to abstain.

I wonder if the tribunal should simply have a protocol where opposition player evidence is not admissible? As you imply, there is a prevailing culture of “what happens out on the field stays on the field” so it can’t be relied upon.

Medical professionals operate with a much more transparent code of ethics so should just stick to the medical report as admissible evidence from the opposition club.

Eye gouging and facial contact if lightly punished at the highest level could filter the wrong message down to grass roots football ...

Exactly, this is a big issue in this case. Letting players get off would send the wrong message to grass roots ...

... and parents of kids at grass roots who won’t want their kids playing the sport. All the more so in expansion markets like GWS.

... where players will get away with facial contact a lot easier without the scrutiny of the media or cameras.

Suspect that if Greene had behaved that way at grass roots level he’d have the s**t kicked out of him.

That's something I have done in the past.. to be honest.. well I'm still doing it.. starting to think I'm a tosser as well.. bit of a reality check that pic.

Nah ...

... rocking “T” and “G” cufflinks, a suit, and a gimp mask is a very different thing.

Wanted to see what was going through Greene's head when he dazza gouged Neal. So pulled out my blow up doll.. got horizontal with it.. not jiggy with it.. get your minds out of the gutter people.. and extended my arm out to grab a hold of its fatsa.. in that posi man.. you seriously can't get any weight behind your arm.. I mean players f sit over their opponents and push down on em.. in a pack situation tackling and s**t and that re.. that's fine.. but Greene in the position he was in.. his intentions were f nasty.

If you've got a blow up doll.. try the horizontal Greene posi.. you'll know what I'm on about and that re.. if you haven't got a blow up doll.. go and get yourself one. And give it a birl re.

Wanted to see what was going through Greene's head when he dazza gouged Neal. So pulled out my blow up doll.. got horizontal with it.. not jiggy with it.. get your minds out of the gutter people.. and extended my arm out to grab a hold of its fatsa.. in that posi man.. you seriously can't get any weight behind your arm.. I mean players f sit over their opponents and push down on em.. in a pack situation tackling and s**t and that re.. that's fine.. but Greene in the position he was in.. his intentions were f nasty.

If you've got a blow up doll.. try the horizontal Greene posi.. you'll know what I'm on about and that re.. if you haven't got a blow up doll.. go and get yourself one. And give it a birl re.

Suspect your blow up doll didn’t stay blown up as a result of your Greene experiment?

My blow up doll is a sheep. Does that matter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can just imagine the look on the faces of the staff at the sex shop when I tell them I want a blow up doll so I can pretend it’s Toby Greene.
Is it time for the obligatory NTTAWWT?

I can just imagine the look on the faces of the staff at the sex shop when I tell them I want a blow up doll so I can pretend it’s Toby Greene.
Is it time for the obligatory NTTAWWT?

What was there 1 or 2 of Toby's teammates sitting on top of Neale re.. you'd probably need 3 of em to get it right.. if it's not to mimic the Greene incident.. it's a great excuse to get yourself in there and get 3 of em without getting rosey in the cheeks re.. if ya know what I'm saying re..

Robbo commenting on 360 post-finding. Says Greene shouldn’t be suspended for that, especially as it’s a PF. Jesus wept, what a fool.
Whether it is a PF, GF or anything else should not be considered at all. In the same breath, they argue his rap sheet shouldn't be considered, but the fact that it is a PF should be considered. Absolute rubbish and Robo is the king of crap just rambling on and on and on.

Just a few points which people are missing in this.

1. Prior record can be relevant when it comes to sentencing. Gary Ablett got off a few weeks ago because of his clean record despite a finding of guilt. A prior record should not come up when it relates to a finding of guilt or innocence, but once a player is found guilty, past record can be relevant. So he was pretty lucky to get a fine last week, so it's not mind-blowing that he would get a higher penalty this week for basically the same act.

2. The AFL recommended a fine last week, and Toby Greene plead guilty. Therefore, that took away a lot of the tribunals discretion in the matter. They never heard evidence, and it would be pretty odd that they would issue a penalty higher than what the prosecutor is recommending. If anything, Greene was extremely lucky to play last week. If he didn't play, the would have lost since he was their best player. So although GWS are having a dig at the AFL and the system that Greene is not playing the Prelim....it's the AFL and the system which has ensured they at least made the Prelim. Otherwise, they would have crashed out last week and we would be playing Brisbane. If any side is upset, it should be Brisbane.

3. The MRO needs to be better when it comes to laying charges. The charge related to the 'eye region', which the evidence said contact was more to the nose. They should have just said unreasonable contact to the face. That would have basically wiped out any defence as Greene himself has basically admitted he made contact to the face. The majority of his defence related to the fact that the contact was to the nose. Whether it is nose or eyes, a player should not be making contact to a defenceless players face.

4. I agree that if this wasn't Toby Greene, then it probably wouldn't have even been cited. But that's the tightrope you walk when you develop a heavy wrap sheet. This is a guy who has kicked people, punched people and now eye-gouged. It is not unusual that there would be a greater focus on him. He is incredibly stupid to put himself in this position. Whilst the Giants are presently putting all the blame on the AFL, I think they should be focusing more on the stupidity of their player. He has been charged now 4 finals games in a row. Clearly the guy can't control himself in big games.

5. Although last weeks incident should not have been taken into account when deciding guilty or innocence...basic human nature is going to be suspicious of his evidence after he got up before the same tribunal last week and expressed his genuine remorse, yet this week does the same thing again. The tribunal had to make a judgment call based on the oral evidence provided, and I'm not surprised they did not favour Toby's evidence. Why would they believe him after last week?

3. The MRO needs to be better when it comes to laying charges. The charge related to the 'eye region', which the evidence said contact was more to the nose. They should have just said unreasonable contact to the face. That would have basically wiped out any defence as Greene himself has basically admitted he made contact to the face. The majority of his defence related to the fact that the contact was to the nose. Whether it is nose or eyes, a player should not be making contact to a defenceless players face.

+ it’s an anomaly in the grading system that “unreasonable contact with the eyes” has same punishment as “unreasonable contact with the face”. The risk of injury (and serious injury) is a lot higher with the eyes, and the punishment should reflect that.

2. The AFL recommended a fine last week, and Toby Greene plead guilty. Therefore, that took away a lot of the tribunals discretion in the matter. They never heard evidence, and it would be pretty odd that they would issue a penalty higher than what the prosecutor is recommending. If anything, Greene was extremely lucky to play last week. If he didn't play, the would have lost since he was their best player. So although GWS are having a dig at the AFL and the system that Greene is not playing the Prelim....it's the AFL and the system which has ensured they at least made the Prelim. Otherwise, they would have crashed out last week and we would be playing Brisbane. If any side is upset, it should be Brisbane.

+ the charges made over the two weeks were different. v Bulldogs was “eye gouging” which is an automatic referral to the tribunal (as it should be) whereas v Brisbane was “unreasonable contact to the eye region”.

It makes absolutely no sense that the AFL offered a $7500 fine for eye gouging. The risk of inflicting very serious injury (such as what Cox accidentally copped) is significant. Greene really should have been defending himself from a 8 week suspension (at the low end because of a favourable medical report from Bulldogs)

For context, Hudson in the NRL was suspended for 5 weeks and 8 weeks this year for these eye gouges in the vid below. Both of Greene’s actions looked more intentional IMO

The AFL really need to clean this up in its tribunal guidelines.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back