News Gubby accepts 12 month ban and resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a funny thing, when Gubby was appointed I was aware of this as being a major risk. But I was excited about what Gubby being appointed meant (change..); and I assumed our executive team had done their due diligence and weighed up all the risk when deciding to go ahead and recruit him. Now with a decision imminent it has brought that decision into focus for me. Whatever the decision; this represents an absolutely terrible judgement call from our executive team.

Totally agree. They took a gamble and if it doesn't pay off then heads should role for gross negligence.

Totally agree. They took a gamble and if it doesn't pay off then heads should role for gross negligence.
Won't happen, whatever the result Ed will still be there.
If we are on these threads in ten years Ed will,still feel doing the Ed thing

It's a funny thing, when Gubby was appointed I was aware of this as being a major risk. But I was excited about what Gubby being appointed meant (change..); and I assumed our executive team had done their due diligence and weighed up all the risk when deciding to go ahead and recruit him. Now with a decision imminent it has brought that decision into focus for me. Whatever the decision; this represents an absolutely terrible judgement call from our executive team.

doodles, its typical media BS / storm in a tea cup. a perfect mix of drugs and Collingwood. I'm confident the club knew everything before hand and accept they made a judgement call.

if Allan's tenure is brief, look at the positive he has shaken the place up. balmey is a warm and fuzzy bloke but he doesn't appear the ruthless type that Allan is.

there have been rumours issues with welfare which is being re vamped. I am guessing gws welfare set up would be second to none.

I love that we have moved out the guys who cant kick (brown, frost etc). years over due.

I'm ok with wells and mayne. whe I haven't watched much but he has kicked 5 as a young player so he has plenty of ability. Only dunn raises my eyebrows but I'm happy now to sit and see what happens.

if we can get a young tall defender in the 20's and the 2 father sons we've had a reasonable off season and he has his fingerprints all over it. we couldn't keep going the way we were.

ps I cant see Allan getting any longer than 3 months if any suspension at all. if he is guilty of anything its trying to protect a young kid who messed up. what sort of prick would he be if the kid asked for help and he said no?

It is interesting that when I first reported Caroline Wilson's view that Collingwood had taken a big risk recruiting Gubby, and that in her view he would definitely be suspended, the vast majority of posters disagreed. 'Allan will be fine', 'the incident occured years ago' etc. Collingwood knew about the likely charges against Allan when they recruited him. The only possible saving grace may be the length of time away from the club. Some here here have suggested several years - Caroline Wilson seemed to think 3 months the likely suspension. Let's hope that this time she is correct - assuming, of course, he is suspended.

Last edited:
...if Allan's tenure is brief, look at the positive he has shaken the place up. balmey is a warm and fuzzy bloke but he doesn't appear the ruthless type that Allan is... there have been rumours issues with welfare which is being re vamped. I am guessing gws welfare set up would be second to none. I love that we have moved out the guys who cant kick (brown, frost etc). years over due.

Agree TW. Gubby has shaken-up our recent culture of excuse and self-congratulation.

Hope he gets less than 12 months and returns to complete the job.

doodles, its typical media BS / storm in a tea cup. a perfect mix of drugs and Collingwood. I'm confident the club knew everything before hand and accept they made a judgement call.

if Allan's tenure is brief, look at the positive he has shaken the place up. balmey is a warm and fuzzy bloke but he doesn't appear the ruthless type that Allan is.

there have been rumours issues with welfare which is being re vamped. I am guessing gws welfare set up would be second to none.

I love that we have moved out the guys who cant kick (brown, frost etc). years over due.

I'm ok with wells and mayne. whe I haven't watched much but he has kicked 5 as a young player so he has plenty of ability. Only dunn raises my eyebrows but I'm happy now to sit and see what happens.

if we can get a young tall defender in the 20's and the 2 father sons we've had a reasonable off season and he has his fingerprints all over it. we couldn't keep going the way we were.

ps I cant see Allan getting any longer than 3 months if any suspension at all. if he is guilty of anything its trying to protect a young kid who messed up. what sort of prick would he be if the kid asked for help and he said no?
Thanks for the well thought out positive side TW.. I'm ok with the guys we've brought in and the guys who are leaving (except Williams.. this is a mistake!). I don't see any significant net gain to the list so far though. It's the macro situation that bothers me. Making contradictory and mixed messages and piecemeal or reactive decision making seems to be the official club strategy. Along with excuse making and deflection.

On Dunn.. never rated him much and he is much maligned by many Melbourne supporters. But it was his performance on Cloke a few years ago that first made me want to see Cloke dropped from the team. Dunn smashed him and ran off him all game and provided great rebound and Clokes efforts were disgracefully limp imo. That was in 2015... he needed the wake up call then...and perhaps things could've been different. We were behind the curve on this one like we seem to be in so many areas now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the well thought out positive side TW.. I'm ok with the guys we've brought in and the guys who are leaving (except Williams.. this is a mistake!). I don't see any significant net gain to the list so far though. It's the macro situation that bothers me. Making contradictory and mixed messages and piecemeal or reactive decision making seems to be the official club strategy. Along with excuse making and deflection.

On Dunn.. never rated him much and he is much maligned by many Melbourne supporters. But it was his performance on Cloke a few years ago that first made me want to see Cloke dropped from the team. Dunn smashed him and ran off him all game and provided great rebound and Clokes efforts were disgracefully limp imo. That was in 2015... he needed the wake up call then...and perhaps things could've been different. We were behind the curve on this one like we seem to be in so many areas now.

someone posted a few months back that Allan was savage on the quality of our list so I'm reading between the lines that these guys (and brown, frost) are the casualties. add gault and goodyear as well. I was critical of goodyear getting chopped but looking at the other moves I can see why now. (whisper he maybe playing vfl for the dogs next year).

I also have no doubt that Allan is working on his coaching short list for 2018 if we miss finals again.

the biggest issue with the Allan/Whitfield story is the lack of information. the club issued one statement and that's it, so all we hear is the biased bullshit from wilson, robinson and barrett. its never going to be balanced.

Yep I remember the game against Melbourne in 2015.

Cloke that day 12 kicks, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 7 goals, 3 Brownlow votes. Imaging what he would have done if he woke up.

Sorry Doodles but just trying to make the point Trav was good in 2015 despite people trying to rewrite history. He got Brownlow votes the next week also. Unfortunately he was injured a few weeks after that and essentailly missed the rest of the season. Was on target for 50 goals when he went down

2016 we know what happened but Dunn didnt smash Cloke in 2015

Cloke that day 12 kicks, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 7 goals, 3 Brownlow votes. Imaging what he would have done if he woke up.

Sorry Doodles but just trying to make the point Trav was good in 2015 despite people trying to rewrite history. He got Brownlow votes the next week also. Unfortunately he was injured a few weeks after that and essentailly missed the rest of the season. Was on target for 50 goals when he went down

Got the year wrong it was 2014...
"Along with Cross, Nathan Jones was among the Demons' best players, as were Bernie Vince and defender Lynden Dunn, who played at full-back on Travis Cloke and held the big Magpie to two goals."
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/12/melb-v-coll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry being a bit of a Smart a. Just wanted to point out Cloke was still playing good footy in 2015
Selectively.

He kicked bags against St Kilda, Melbourne and GWS who finished respectively 14th, 13th and 11th and featured young and undersized defenders he could monster.

Against the finalists he managed 8 goals from 7 games excluding the WC game where he was injured early. He was a flat track bully who went missing in crunch games against Freo, Haw and Port in which we narrowly lost and likely led to our side going into freefall late in the second half of the year.

He should've been traded at the end of that year for a 1st round pick whilst suckers thought he could still play instead of this year for a piece of s**t 4th rounder. Near sighted, gutless and abysmal list management by Collingwood.

Yes ok it was 2014 as I now know... seems like just yesterday. Point is.. he's been a shadow of his former self for a few years now.

I'm well aware you think that Cloke was still playing good footy last year. We just have to agree to disagree on this and I don't think you've got any grounds to say I'm re-writing history. He may have statistically performed ok (but well down on his best); but it was the limp efforts and playing half interested that I judged him on. I don't care how bad our gameplan was, the forward 50 delivery; or his issues with the coach.. You may be right in some of these factors having an effect on him... but he's wearing a Collingwood jumper and when he runs out he should forget that sh$t and give his best. He clearly didn't at times in my view... and that's inexcusable.

Sooo, in terms of Allen coming back, I didn't think it was such a good thing, then other posters sort of convinced me to keep an open mind, well sadly that mind has now closed and gone back to my original feelings about him. No pass mark to date.

Selectively.

He kicked bags against St Kilda, Melbourne and GWS who finished respectively 14th, 13th and 11th and featured young and undersized defenders he could monster.

Against the finalists he managed 8 goals from 7 games excluding the WC game where he was injured early. He was a flat track bully who went missing in crunch games against Freo, Haw and Port in which we narrowly lost and likely led to our side going into freefall late in the second half of the year.

He should've been traded at the end of that year for a 1st round pick whilst suckers thought he could still play instead of this year for a piece of s**t 4th rounder. Near sighted, gutless and abysmal list management by Collingwood.
I know that argument but it applies to all forwards. Looked at the bags Buddy, Tex etc kicked in 2015 when arguing this in the past and guess what similar patterns. Forwards star against weaker sides, happened since day dot

Cloke didnt go missing against Hawks and Freo. Was named in Collingwoods best in both games. In fact he monstered Hawthorn and beat Lake convincing that night. Mucked up by kicking 1:4 his achilles. But he had 16 kicks, 20 disposals, 11 marks, 4 contested marks, 5 inside 50's. Look at his record against the Hawks since 2011, its much better than his overall record. He is one player who always stood up against the Hawks.

Again I find so much of the criticism of Cloke rewriting history to run him down.

With his contract still running he wasnt tradable for a 1st rounder end of 2015. He was playing good footy but not footy worth $800K.

I know that argument but it applies to all forwards. Looked at the bags Buddy, Tex etc kicked in 2005 and guess what similar patterns. Forwards star against weaker sides, happened since day dot

Cloke didnt go missing against Hawks and Freo. Was named in Collingwoods best in both games. In fact he monstered Hawthorn and beat Lake convincing that night. Mucked up by kicking 1:4 his achilles. But he had 16 kicks, 20 disposals, 11 marks, 4 contested marks, 5 inside 50's. Look at his record against the Hawks since 2011, its much better than his overall record. He is one player who always stood up against the Hawks.

Again I find so much of the criticism of Cloke rewriting history to run him down.

With his contract still running he wasnt tradable for a 1st rounder end of 2015. He was playing good footy but not footy worth $800K.

I'm not running him down but his 2014-15 efforts were not up to scratch from what he was and what he was being paid to deliver.

He kicked 1 goal combined in those two games against Freo and Hawks including missing some absolute sitters against Hawthorn and we lost both narrowly. Some kindly scribes may have named him in the best (how he was named by anyone in the best against Freo is beyond me, he was ordinary) but his failure to impact the scoreboard as our number 1 forward cost us big time not mentioning his limp dick performance against Port in that other narrow season derailing loss.

The fact is when we needed him to stand up he didn't. Those games were a stark reminder of the massive flaws in his psyche and they were detrimental to our side. He should have been considered expendable from that point on.

The story is that GC offered us pick 10 for him and we refused it because he was seen as a key part of our future. Sure we would've likely had to cough up some of his wage but that hasn't been an issue for us in other cases. Travis's performances in 2014-15 had slipped considerably from the 2011-13 peak version and seeing as we were supposedly in a restructuring phase surely a first round pick for an aging declining player was a more than generous offer. But we didn't have the foresight to take advantage of it. Instead we got Buckley bullshitting that Travis was one of the best forwards in the league and a key to his plans going forward yet 4 games later he was finished in Buckley's eyes.

Not moving on him when we likely could've clearly shows that the football dept massively misread where our list was at coming into 2016 and this trade period shows that some of those terrible drafting and list management decisions made during the Buckley years are now coming home to roost. And now we get pick 76 for a B&F winning, 2x AA, Premiership forward. Just brilliant.

Well done Gubby, paid overs for WHE and got massive unders for all our outgoing players

Was hoping to give up a 3rd rounder for WHE, but realistically still happy to get him for a second rounder.
Pretty confident that he will show us his undoubted ability.

Was hoping to give up a 3rd rounder for WHE, but realistically still happy to get him for a second rounder.
Pretty confident that he will show us his undoubted ability.

If he fulfills his potential he will be a great pick up for us. I'm annoyed that Carlton and North pick up other GWS top 10 picks for a bargain and we have to pay overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back