Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight should have taken the 2 first round picks a year earlier. I guess it was an important stand at the time to say that contracts need to be honoured and we won't be walked over.
All that said, I thought we got more than a late second round less a downgrade.
I thought we got a first round and second round pick swap against us. But my memory could be wrong.
GWS Out : #7+McCarthy+#38+#72
GWS In: #3

GWS Out : #7+McCarthy+#38+#72
GWS In: #3

I see. Thought we got more.
Was that similar to this year where we were trying to trade up ahead of the Setterfield bid? Maybe it felt like an extra first round at the time and maybe why I remember incorrectly. Either that or wishful thinking.

I see. Thought we got more.
Was that similar to this year where we were trying to trade up ahead of the Setterfield bid? Maybe it felt like an extra first round at the time and maybe why I remember incorrectly. Either that or wishful thinking.

You wanted Taranto badly, and you needed a high selection, took Freo's pick to get to 3, then traded with the Lions to get pick 2.

In hindsight should have taken the 2 first round picks a year earlier.

What 2 first rounders the year before are you talking about? Freo had very quickly traded their only first rounder to the Gold Coast for Bennell. They categorically ruled out trading any players of value that would give them even one more first rounder let alone two. They had nothing to trade with that was worth anything to us the minute the Bennell deal was signed - and that was signed on, like, day 2 of the trade period.

It’s a Big Footy created myth that we could have got 2 first rounders for McCarthy in 2015.

I won’t deny that there is an element of that as we were particularly fortunate with the 17yo’s we were able to take (they were a far superior pool than what GCS had to choose from) and the mini draft was also very lucrative.

To counter that we did have a wasteful Recruitment Manager in Silvagni who burnt quite a few picks and failed to understand the need to have a high quality ruckman to blend with all the midfield talent.

I think the double whammy for clubs is that because the two young clubs dominated several drafts it thinned out what was available and also placed a premium on what was traded out by said clubs.

For us to get two first rounders for Shiel was actually an overpayment but that was what was required to get him.

We have utilised the value of our assets quite wisely and should be pretty safe for the next 5 years.
Revisionary history going on there.
Silvagni designed you list from the ground up and it has stood the test of time.
Player retention goes to Gill who has managed to keep your better players there.

Silvagni designed you list from the ground up and it has stood the test of time.
Player retention goes to Gill who has managed to keep your better players there.
One eyed blue I see.

Absolute garbage comment.

Silvagni missed a ton and picked some people who should of set alarm bells ringing.

Player retention is down to our club for building the culture.

One eyed blue I see.

Absolute garbage comment.

Silvagni missed a ton and picked some people who should of set alarm bells ringing.

Player retention is down to our club for building the culture.
Yep I agree with that, it is the one area which has allowed GWS to prosper where GC failed miserably. Hopefully GC get it right this time though. I don't understand the SOS worshipping at Carlton. He is a legend as a player but that list is not where it should be. For example, of the players Brisbane shed off their list, only Bastinac and Roberton were not picked up by other clubs (Hodge retired). Carlton are nowhere near that.

I've said in other threads that I believe SOS is strong at the draft table, but below average at the draft table.
Given the amount of early picks he had, IMO, he should have done better.
The strength of our early list comes from the preselected 17 yo. (Pre SoS). Cameron, Treloar, Shiel and Wilson is a great start just there!

I've said in other threads that I believe SOS is strong at the draft table, but below average at the draft table.
Given the amount of early picks he had, IMO, he should have done better.
The strength of our early list comes from the preselected 17 yo. (Pre SoS). Cameron, Treloar, Shiel and Wilson is a great start just there!
I'm guessing you mean strong trade and below average draft?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What on earth are you talking about? He built the list? Neville Stibbard was the man who built our list, not Silvagni. Our drafting was absolutely awful in the eighteen months he was in charge.

Silvagni was in charge for two drafts before we have him the flick, one of which he burnt three top seven picks on Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett and Paul Ahern. The other he picked Tom Boyd at #1. Heid a disgraceful job and was rightly let go. The only shock is the Blues thought he was worth handing over the keys too and it took Cain Liddle to realise just how bad he was.

Oh my goodness.

Silvagnis success rate given what he had was actually quite poor.

probably proven by the fact that he is now jobless.

What on earth are you talking about? He built the list? Neville Stibbard was the man who built our list, not Silvagni. Our drafting was absolutely awful in the eighteen months he was in charge.

Silvagni was in charge for two drafts before we have him the flick, one of which he burnt three top seven picks on Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett and Paul Ahern. The other he picked Tom Boyd at #1. Heid a disgraceful job and was rightly let go. The only shock is the Blues thought he was worth handing over the keys too and it took Cain Liddle to realise just how bad he was.
All the players you mentioned would have been taken in the first round, and Tom Boyd would have been taken at 1 by 80% of recruiters.

Boyd was always going at pick 1. You don’t get cute with the consensus number 1.

but O’Rourke, plowman, ahern, Pickett, Jakch and McKenna were all picked far too early
I called Plowman a mile out, should be in mine and Chris25’s phantoms that year I think. He was the right choice for GWS. Ahern was a good pick, absolute gun in his junior year and could’ve gone a few picks higher. You guys didn’t know he was gonna do his knee twice.

I agree with you about Jaksch and O’Rourke, wasn’t that big on them at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back