Prediction GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

That Matt Kennedy was named on the field, right there in the middle, and his photo adorned the article, I think a certain newly promoted mod might just be doing a jig (in public if necessary):)

That Matt Kennedy was named on the field, right there in the middle, and his photo adorned the article, I think a certain newly promoted mod might just be doing a jig (in public if necessary):)
One is very happy, even started him onfield in SC :p

FB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Heath Shaw, Nick Haynes, Ryan Griffen
C: Adam Kennedy, Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly
HF: Steve Johnson, Jonathon Patton, Rory Lobb
FF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Scully
RR: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Matt Kennedy

Interchange (from): Devon Smith, Tim Taranto, Matt Buntine, Nathan Wilson, Tendai Mzungu, Dawson Simpson, Sam Reid

For reference

Lobb and/ or Patton to stand up in this one. Talia seems to have Jezza's measure, (as does McDonald @ Melbourne).
Nice thing about our forward set up is that one of the small(er) forwards will get off the chain - one of the Krakouer Bros or Dev.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't end up getting to any of the JLT games, maybe someone who did knows.

I have yet to see Muzungu play, but will on Sunday and form an opinion then. He's been around long enough not to be intimidated by the crowd, you would think. Hope he likes running in the Heat, with the forecast temp a night game would've made sense.
:mad: Wont be wearing the scarf after all. Might slip it in a pocket to wave, when I stand to sing the song when we win. Crows fans say the worst to expect is a few beers thrown from above.

Opposition Watch: Round 1
GIANTS Media March 24, 2017 5:39 PM
OppoRd1-ARTICLE.jpg

Crows captain Taylor Walker and vice-captain Rory Sloane are expected to face the GIANTS on Sunday.

RELATED
That’s the beauty of the comp, we play a side that was a kick out of the grand final last year with a talented list so it’s a great challenge and an ideal game for us first-up.
Crows coach Don Pyke
With the GIANTS looking for their first win against the Crows in Adelaide, we’ve taken a look at what’s been happening at West Lakes before the GIANTS make their way to the city of churches.

Adelaide will be boosted by the inclusion of Taylor Walker and Rory Sloane who have been named in the Crows' final 22-man team, and are expected to line up on Sunday afternoon.

Walker has been struggling with a tight hamstring and Sloane missed the pre-season competition with a fractured eye socket, but both players completed training on Thursday.

"They got through really well, so we'll name them later this afternoon," Crows coach Don Pyke said on afc.com.au on Thursday.

"Captain and vice-captain of our footy club clearly signifies how important they are in terms of their leadership and their playing side of things.

"They both trained fully, got through the session really well so we'll see how they pull up tomorrow with the expectation they will play."

A familiar face will be at Adelaide Oval on Sunday with former GIANT Curtly Hampton to make his Crows debut against his old club.

Hampton played 51 games for the GIANTS before joining Adelaide ahead of the 2016 season.

"Curtly will play on Sunday. It's a credit to him because he's really worked hard through the offseason and the pre-season," Pyke said.

"His form through the JLT (Community Series) has been really pleasing ... he's basically built week on week. I thought his game against Brisbane two weeks ago was another level up from even what we saw against Richmond and Geelong.

"It's fantastic for him. His first game for the footy club happens to be against his former club. I know he's really excited and looking forward to the opportunity.”

Pyke said he was relishing the opportunity to test his Crows side against the GIANTS in round one.

“It’s a great test first up,” he said.

“That’s the beauty of the comp, we play a side that was a kick out of the grand final last year with a talented list so it’s a great challenge and an ideal game for us first-up.”

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron was under no illusions that playing Adelaide in Adelaide would be a big test for his side.

“It sounds funny because round one is exactly the same as round four in terms of points. You’ll get four or you’ll get two or you’ll get zero,” Cameron said.

“But the output of exertion — energy, nervousness — all wrapped up on three or four months of preseason all comes out in two hours of footy.

“Our challenge is to get back on that bike coming off a first winning year.”

Mzungu to Debut as GIANTS Name Final 22
GIANTS Media March 24, 2017 4:55 PM

Rookie recruit Tendai Mzungu will make his GIANTS debut on Sunday afternoon, being named in the final 22 to take on the Crows at Adelaide Oval.

It’s been a fast track back to the top level for the former Fremantle Docker who was delisted by the club at the end of last season after playing just five matches in 2016, with his last game coming in round 18.

The GIANTS threw the versatile 102-gamer a lifeline, selecting him in the 2016 AFL Rookie Draft.

He has gone on to impress at every step in his new colours, finishing in the top five of all time-trials across pre-season and picking up 22 touches and a goal in the GIANTS’ JLT Community Series match against the West Coast Eagles.

“It wasn’t something I expected. I was hopeful - like everyone else coming into round one - but to get the news, I was really excited,” Mzungu said.

“It’s been a big summer and coming into a new club, I worked really hard and I’m really thankful Leon and the coaching staff gave me an opportunity.

“I thought probably the window had closed. A lot of hard work has gone into it and in myself I’m happy I never gave up and kept working hard and thankfully I got an opportunity here, but I know it’s a long year and this is just the start hopefully.”

The 31-year-old was upgraded from the rookie list just on a week ago and said it’s been a seamless transition into the orange and charcoal.

“It’s an easy group to fit in with,” Mzungu said.

“They work really hard but there’s that great balance between hard work and enjoying it.

“It’s a stressful environment but I have really enjoyed the last three or four months here. In that sense I’ve fit in really well and then the next test is game day, which is the ultimate aim.”

Mzungu has been named on the interchange along with forward Devon Smith, defender Matt Buntine and debutant Tim Taranto.

Nathan Wilson, Dawson Simpson and Sam Reid drop off the extended bench and will be the emergencies for the round one clash.

The GIANTS take on the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on Sunday, March 26 at 3.20pm (AEST) with live coverage nationally on Channel 7 and Fox Footy and 7mate in NSW and the ACT.

Round 1

Adelaide Crows v GWS GIANTS

Sunday, March 26 at 3.20pm

Adelaide Oval

GWS GIANTS

FB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Adam Tomlinson

HB: Heath Shaw, Nick Haynes, Ryan Griffen

C: Adam Kennedy, Dylan Shiel, Josh Kelly

HF: Steve Johnson, Jonathon Patton, Rory Lobb

FF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Scully

RR: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Matt Kennedy

Interchange: Devon Smith, Tim Taranto, Matt Buntine, Tendai Mzungu

New: Tim Taranto (2016 NAB AFL Draft, pick 2); Tendai Mzungu (GIANTS debut - 2016 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, pick 15)

Emergencies: Nathan Wilson, Dawson Simpson, Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back