Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ross' initial comments (I think I the Richmond presser) were right about him having a good footy brain or something like that.

I watched the footage of Harley at Peel and I'm sure I could see him make gestures of the Ump bouncing the ball and mouthing something like "When he bounces the ball try to.... "

Obviously the behaviour isn't appropriate hence the fine but also not as sinister as others would have it.

Maybe he did have a beer or two, and maybe he was getting right into the game and wanted to impart wisdom.. Not the best way to go about it though haha.

hard to argue at this stage, but his age gives me some hope but to get back where he was at his best seems a long way off

When he was up for trade I was keen for him to come to the Bombers. Hope he gets himself right, very good to watch when he is up and going.

Interested in people's thoughts on this. Is it necessary to bring Harley back through the WAFL?

I think he is so mercurial that he could easily slip right into our forward line. I also don't know how much benefit a couple of WAFL games would be for a guy like that.

Interested in people's thoughts on this. Is it necessary to bring Harley back through the WAFL?

I think he is so mercurial that he could easily slip right into our forward line. I also don't know how much benefit a couple of WAFL games would be for a guy like that.
2 years since AFL
1 year and 4 months since 1 WAFL game and 1 nab game

pretty much means yeah its essential to play some WAFL, 1 game and in imo, maybe 1 half game,1 full game and in if needed.
This bloke is a rolls royce and won't need much time.

Saw him against Geelong in the NAB where I think he kicked 4 and then that ridiculous,seemingly innocuous hop skip and tear on the boundary line for Peel.
The rest of his time has been rehab.
He's already been fit enough to play then relapsed/reinjured.
Can't imagine how frustrated he must be.
As has been said a million times his ability to execute as playmaker and finisher takes us somewhere we haven't been before.
Can't wait and I still believe he'll get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no sports scientist, but I would think it is essential to be able to manage Harley's game time minutes until Harley and Freo are confident that he (his calves) can again safely navigate the demands of an entire AFL game. That is, if he plays Peel Reserves, they can take him off the field first sign of any calf tightness.

My guess is, if the Freo medical staff had their way, Harley would be made to do his Rehab and prove his fitness by doing full training with strength loading on his calves prior to playing a game ... but this strategy just hasn't worked. It's now in Harley's best interest to just get to run on to a Football field and play some minutes.

I'm no sports scientist, but I would think it is essential to be able to manage Harley's game time minutes until Harley and Freo are confident that he (his calves) can again safely navigate the demands of an entire AFL game. That is, if he plays Peel Reserves, they can take him off the field first sign of any calf tightness.

My guess is, if the Freo medical staff had their way, Harley would be made to do his Rehab and prove his fitness by doing full training with strength loading on his calves prior to playing a game ... but this strategy just hasn't worked. It's now in Harley's best interest to just get to run on to a Football field and play some minutes.

Yeah this. He has to go through WAFL so they can control things. In a sense, he'll still be doing a bit of rehab on the park (so to speak) so it has to be controlled. Even if he gets through a few WAFL games, and gets to AFL level, he'll be managed there for a good few weeks too - I'd be surprised if he gets to 60-5% game time.

EDIT: What Lach said above.

I've reached the acceptance stage with Bennell. Put him in the Morabito/Pitt/Simpson basket.
I think we all feel the pain of the loss of those lads kinda attached to Harley. It's raw! No doubt that if he does get up and contributes, there will be some sweaty eyes around here.

I think we all feel the pain of the loss of those lads kinda attached to Harley. It's raw! No doubt that if he does get up and contributes, there will be some sweaty eyes around here.
Hopefully a home game.
The noise from the crowd if he comes off the bench, or first touch, first goal ... yep, there will be some sweaty eyes ... and a good excuse to replenish those lost liquids.

I'm generally a selfish Freo fan and am eager to see injured players return to improve Freo's chance of winning. But in Harley's case, I now just want to see him get his first Freo game because of what it will mean to him.

I'll be over the moon to see Bennell in the side if/when he finally makes it but at the same time i will feel a little dissapointed. The dissapointement will come because of the amount of work Mora put in last year and strung games together but was not given a final chance on the main stage and Bennell could very well walk straight up and in to the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back