Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be done within the next 8 weeks or so.

All of a matter of doing a deal that can satisfy Harry (whose value has never been higher) and his management, and how we as a footy club can accommodate their terms under our cap.

It seems likely that it will be a 5 year deal when Harry re-signs with us..
Doubt he will sign a 5 year deal which would see that end when he is 29 years old

3 years imo @ $850k

Will be done within the next 8 weeks or so.

All of a matter of doing a deal that can satisfy Harry (whose value has never been higher) and his management, and how we as a footy club can accommodate their terms under our cap.

It seems likely that it will be a 5 year deal when Harry re-signs with us..
Unless Carlton offering him over 800-900 why would he sign? Kicking over 4 goals a game with a low of 3, small sample size but he will only gain more power the longer he waits.

I can't see him leaving, but he will attract a decent salary. He is about to explode. All the talk of Allen, Naughton and King brothers as the best young key forward, Harry could be the best of them all, or at least well and truly up in the conversation

He could be in for a BIG BIG year this year already averaging over 4 goals a game and could end the season kicking 75+ goals
Whilst its great to see him living upto expectations i think Carlton will be paying a premium to satisfy his contract needs.

If i was Carlton list manager i would be happy to sign him on anything less than $900k a year
Big Fowards like Harry will cost more to get and in 2 years he will have even bigger offers if he doesnt already

Expecting him to kick 5+ goals this week

blues reportedly willing to offer 750k for cerra - and youd assume cripps is their number 1 priority to sign.

Cant imagine there would be much left for harry

Harry will be signed up within 6 weeks. He wants to stay and we have opened up talks with his management.

We have plenty of frontloaded contracts and Murphy and Marchbank (sadly) who were on big coin will retire.

Harry's value has never been higher and of course desperate club's like North and Hawthorn and Essendon are chasing hard, but he will stay at Carlton, his management obviously are telling Harry to hold out signing for now, but he has told the club he wants to stay.

We actually manage our Salary Cap very well.

Few clubs very interested in big H, we are going to have a tough job to keep him.

Essendon are trying again, North, Hawks and the Pies are very keen.
We need a Hooker replacement.

options we have;
1) Wright - He's ok, but Hooker is a contested beast. Wright needs to get this into his game
2) Baldwin - Coming 2 ACL's. Was rated highly, but is a massive ? on whether the knee holds up
3) Eyre - very raw still. Seems to be more of a CHF option than a deep forward

Jones could be it, but i feel he's better as the mobile CHF option.

Betts is a rookie this year isn't he? Can't be on much more than base wage. Murphy would be on fu** all as well.

Mate the average 3rd, 4th or 5th year player is on around 400k.

AFL 2020: How coronavirus will impact players' salaries (theage.com.au)

And Betts is on the Rookie list; that doesn't mean we're paying him a rookie wage.

Delisting those two into retirement should free up around 750k. We also have a call to make on Casboult but that depends on C Curnow, McGovern and Dekoenings progress this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate the average 3rd, 4th or 5th year player is on around 400k.

AFL 2020: How coronavirus will impact players' salaries (theage.com.au)

And Betts is on the Rookie list; that doesn't mean we're paying him a rookie wage.

Delisting those two into retirement should free up around 750k. We also have a call to make on Casboult but that depends on C Curnow, McGovern and Dekoenings progress this year.

So you have 750k tied up in two vets that probably aren't best 22? That....doesn't seem good.

So you have 750k tied up in two vets that probably aren't best 22? That....doesn't seem good.

You don’t see the value in holding large amounts of salary cap space in short term deals whilst we wait for the kids to command the money or for longer term free agents/trade targets?

I really doubt this. I can't imagine why we would. He's a fine player, but totally not a need. We've recruited our talls, need to focus on smalls now and trust the talls come on.

Just a token offer/bid to make us pay more for Harry i suspect. Christ knows you have not nearly enough trade assets to get him to EFC.

Cerra is or should be your no 1 target..

North should be offering Harry $850,000 a year for five years.

Carlton should offer him $700,000 for two to take him to free agency.
I would offer more... considering some of the contracts our players were on prior to being delisted, I wouldn't be surprised if we had lots of cap space and we should front-loaded our Stevo and Corr contracts to make room for another and as of right now, excluding that his brother plays for us, is a perfect fit.

I would offer more... considering some of the contracts our players were on prior to being delisted, I wouldn't be surprised if we front-loaded our Stevo and Corr contracts to make room for another and as of right now, excluding that his brother plays for us, is a perfect fit.
This is my expectation. Trade your first round pick to Freo for our first and next year's first then drop the news that Harry is signing for millions up front and long term to play with his brother. Offer our first in exchange.

Set for key posts front and back for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back