Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my expectation. Trade your first round pick to Freo for our first and next year's first then drop the news that Harry is signing for millions up front and long term to play with his brother. Offer our first in exchange.

Set for key posts front and back for a long time.
What's your first projected to be? 4-9? IMO that alone wouldn't get done, especially since he looks like he could have a 60+ goal season

I would offer more... considering some of the contracts our players were on prior to being delisted, I wouldn't be surprised if we had lots of cap space and we should front-loaded our Stevo and Corr contracts to make room for another and as of right now, excluding that his brother plays for us, is a perfect fit.
Only 1 problem....

Murphy isnt the player he once was, but he's best 22. Betts also (just).
I don’t have an opinion on Murphy, but a mate of mine who is in the Carlton Team of the Century thinks it’s ludicrous he is still getting a game haha.

FWIW McKay is going nowhere. Rarely do clubs lose their best players and particularly a key position forward. He will naturally get huge offers, but will stay with the Blues for a very good contract but still ‘unders’.

And that’s how it should be.

I would offer more... considering some of the contracts our players were on prior to being delisted, I wouldn't be surprised if we had lots of cap space and we should front-loaded our Stevo and Corr contracts to make room for another and as of right now, excluding that his brother plays for us, is a perfect fit.
I hear North have a war chest.

Essendon is trying to lure big H.
That would have been before we went to the draft to stock up on KPPs.

Carlton will ask the world for what is an injury-prone, inconsistent KPF that hasn't kicked above 26 goals in his career yet.
Can't see us spending draft capital on McKay when our midfield needs more top-end talent.

Collingwood and Hawthorn would be the logical choice.

If I’m McKays agent im expecting 5/5 mill and not staying for any less

Suspect he ends up at North though
You might not be far off the mark there.

Charlie Curnows on $3.2m over four years that was signed based on potential. McGoverns on a princely sum. Williams is on $800k+.

He has every right to demand his pound of flesh from the blues given these questionable contracts.

You might not be far off the mark there.

Charlie Curnows on $3.2m over four years that was signed based on potential. McGoverns on a princely sum. Williams is on $800k+.

He has every right to demand his pound of flesh from the blues given these questionable contracts.

Plus he has that position that a team with a ton of salary cap room is desperate for.

I think North just play it clever here, offer him 5/5 and give up a pretty crummy list of assets to get him knowing they have pick 1 in the PSD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t have an opinion on Murphy, but a mate of mine who is in the Carlton Team of the Century thinks it’s ludicrous he is still getting a game haha.

FWIW McKay is going nowhere. Rarely do clubs lose their best players and particularly a key position forward. He will naturally get huge offers, but will stay with the Blues for a very good contract but still ‘unders’.

And that’s how it should be.
Um, Lockett, Hall, Franklin, T. Lynch, Cameron .......

He will do what Clarry did, and sign a 2 year deal which takes him to a RFA, and then he will get his massive pay day (from the Blues)

So many bitter Carlton hating flogs thinking he will leave ? LMAO. They are in talks with his management, should be done within a month.

Last edited:
Plus he has that position that a team with a ton of salary cap room is desperate for.

I think North just play it clever here, offer him 5/5 and give up a pretty crummy list of assets to get him knowing they have pick 1 in the PSD
We will offer him that ~$800k so I highly doubt he is going to want to go to North for a million considering he has already spent six years not playing finals. North would have to go close to making him the highest paid player in the league to get him.

I suspect Harry would not want to be the 'man' on the huge $ which comes with the additional huge expectations. If he has desires to play with his brother, perhaps Ben coming to Carlton might be the more likely scenario.. North are probably 4-5 years away from being in the stages of development Carlton currently are and I would doubt H would want to go backwards in the pursuit of team success.

Last edited:
We will offer him that ~$800k so I highly doubt he is going to want to go to North for a million considering he has already spent six years not playing finals. North would have to go close to making him the highest paid player in the league to get him.

Most sensible North fans know it's not going to happen. Unfortunately they have a couple who still believe they can afford to sign both Harry and Josh Kelly this off season.

Frankly I would be more concerned (if i was them) if they actually will win a game this season.

They look a lot worse than last year's Crows who didn't win a game until round 12 or 13.

I think they cut their list too deep, should have kept on Williams, Pittard and McMillian for at least one more season.

Most sensible North fans know it's not going to happen. Unfortunately they have a couple who still believe they can afford to sign both Harry and Josh Kelly this off season.

Frankly I would be more concerned (if i was them) if they actually will win a game this season.

They look a lot worse than last year's Crows who didn't win a game until round 12 or 13.

I think they cut their list too deep, should have kept on Williams, Pittard and McMillian for at least one more season.
I’m sure they can afford them but when you’re in their position they would require too risky of contracts to get them.

Looking at North's list there is little doubt that they could afford to sign both Josh Kelly & Harry McKay, they can not being paying many others above the average salary so to sign Harry and Josh on 5 year deals at 1mil, front loaded would easily be within their reach... But getting the players to come to a side that is at a minimum 4 years away from playing finals is what makes the scenario most unrealistic.

None of these would have made the slightest difference to North's fortunes in 2021 or beyond.

They absolutely did the right thing on that front.

I suspect Harry would not want to be the 'man' on the huge $ which comes with the additional huge expectations. If he has desires to play with his brother, perhaps Ben coming to Carlton might be the more likely scenario.. North are probably 4-5 years away from being in the stages of development Carlton currently are and I would doubt H would want to go backwards in the pursuit of team success.
I doubt Harry would want to play in front of 5,000 people.

North would be a strange move for them even with their abundance of cash, threw Brown out the door for a packet of chips only to bring in Mckay at the expense of a couple of 1st round picks/quality young player.

I'd be heading to the draft if I was north and just focusing on fringe types they can pick up for 2nd/3rd round picks, they should have kept ben brown as a salary sponge to keep payments lower for other players and allow room for growth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back