Autopsy Hawks defeat the Lions - say your piece here. (and cast your vote in the YABBY MEDAL!)

Remove this Banner Ad

G
Didn't even get him high
Was a hard tackle

I'm more interested in the several acts by Brisbane players that were much worse

Was that article written by Robbo or Tanya Hird? Seriously, if Gibbo goes for that the tackle should be banned. At worst: high, low impact and negligent but it was a tackle and with early plea wouldn't get a week anyway.

Wasn't able to watch yesterday (only caught small passages, but will watch replay) but any win is a good win this time of year. Get those wins on the board. No injuries or suspensions. Sounds like a good day to me.

Roughead was amazing yesterday. Loved his clearance work. Thought it was a weird experiment, but it still have us hale, Gunston and obrien as marking targets.

Langford was great to watch but needs about 10 games just to learn the balance between frantic attack and measures response.

Birchall did as he pleased - such a good player. Was worried about his hit on Luenberger but the replay showed it was shoulder only. Would have hurt a bit, he was charging at full speed.

Mitchell had to work into the game and I think the points in this contest go to Rockliff. 3 goals to a midfielder is always a good day out, and Mitchell certainly didn't have his usual level of output.

Cheney battled hard but it's obvious why Lake, Stratton, Schoey and Spang would have been selected before him had they been available.

Thought we missed Sewell a bit, although usually Lewis steps up in his absence. What I noticed here is that Lewis wasn't playing his natural game. He loves the bottom of a pack, but it was like he had been instructed to let Langford/Shiels get the ground ball while he take the first possession out of the congestion.

Shiels is coming along beautifully. Won't get the hype of large bodied midfielders from other clubs, but what more can you ask? 21 possessions, 2 goals, 8 tackles and some lovely passes to guys on the lead. Outperformed many high profile midfielders this weekend.

We won't win a flag with Cheney and hodge as KPDs (with Gibson floating.) in fact hodge had a shocker, so many shanked kicks!

Breust was brilliant.

In four years time the midfield might be lewis shiels hill smith langford birchall plus any recruits. It seems to be transitioning already

Nominally a hbf, birchall does so much more than that

The midfield looked like a big worry for a significant part of the game. Looked like we fell into the trap of too many blokes hunting the ball when it was in dispute and not enough outriders. If Bris won it in close they had plenty of players on the spread to take it away whereas we had all come too close into the contest. Fortunately they missed a lot of targets going forward but it was the key reason our backline was under siege so badly.

Brought back memories of 09/10 which is NEVER a good thing.

Felt like we were one rotation short through the centre square - Puopolo would have been the perfect match up for the stronger bodies of Zorko and Moloney but was forced to play forward with Rioli missing. Cyril back next week will be enormous for both our forward half and midfield.

We really looked light on for run and rebound in the first half which is a concern. They smashed us out of the middle for a lot of the game. Hale and McEvoy were sensational around the ground but beaten in the ruck - really struggled to get their hands to it. Bailey definately a loss from the centre square.

Arguably to Hill's best game for the club. Certainly his highest possession count I would think. His ball handling is elite. So clean off the deck and a couple of quick handballs were nothing short of brilliant.

Cheney hasnt adapted to where footy is heading and goes to ground every time trying to drag the ball in in a contested situation. He was ordinary. Slow decision maker with the ball in hand too which is also a major worry. Seeing him take a make, play on sideways to his initial target only to realise they are covered, then become indecisive and wing getting rid of it is his trademark. I back his honesty but if we keep rollling him out we will struggle.

Duryea was ordinary early but got better as the game went on. That missed pick up off the ground was poor and cost us a goal. He has a habit of starting games poorly which we cannot afford at AFL level.

Smith really came into his own in the second half.

Got to let Langers play his natural ball hunting game. He is an animal. Looked to be too focussed on stopping Moloney in the first half which he was soundly beaten.

Pretty pleased with O'Brien's game. Definitely up to the speed of the game. Competed well and clean off the deck. He has some genuine class. Gotta keep playing him.

Thought Hodge, Burger kept us in the game in the first half.

Breust was excellent both up forward and through the midfield.

Rough is a gem.

Next week will be interesting with our backline - I can't see us making any changes but I would be keen to replace Cheney with Litherland. Spang has hardly played so is a big risk. We are going to have to back our pinch hitters again but it could give us a genuine advantage on the rebound.

Very happy with the 4 points and percentage especially with a very tough stretch ahead.

Love watching Duryea run through tackles ... and enjoyed watching timmy boy kick his first goal.. he should play 8-10 games this year.
I don't get the Chaney selection... give the kiwi guy a run at it now.

Little difficult as he is currently a Rookie

Good win in the end but we never seem to play our best footy down there in Tassie regardless of the opposition. They all looked a bit rusty early on but improved as the game went on I thought. Great game from Sheils, what a great kick for goal he is ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Familiar performance against an ordinary opponent. Last year we didn't tend to smash sides, we played in bursts and came away comfortable winners. Brisbane threw everything they had at us. We kept them at arms length on the back of a couple bursts and then ran away late. A bit scrappy but we kicked 21 goals in second gear.

I'm not concerned by the midfield. We were experimenting in there all day. Only concern for me is undersized defence. Really need Lake, Stratton and Shoe available. Essendons talls will be a challenge, they will kick some goals next week. The bigger question of course is whether they can stop us scoring. If we kick 21 goals we won't lose.

My play of the game was in the second quarter when Hill tackled a bloke WITH HIS BODY AND TOOK HIM TO GROUND. I'm still in the process of picking my jaw up off the floor.

I thought Hill looked a lot more physical for the whole game. He's added a little more size and had another year in the system I guess. He was seriously good yesterday and that willingness to get dirty was probably one of the few things missing from his game. I'm very excited about him for the coming season.

I wonder if we'll regret elevating Wanganeen. I thought Wang was deserving after a very strong pre-season, but we're going to be stretched over the next two weeks until we get back Lake.
I was wondering the same thing. Wish we could upgrade both Wangers and Heatherly.

I remain confused regarding the elevation of category B rookies. I know it's been mentioned several times on here that you can play category B rookies and they don't need to be upgraded but I can't find it anywhere. Geelong had to upgrade Blicavs both last year and this year and he's a cat B so I think that would apply to Heatherly too.

I thought it was a good contest, a bit of a concern when your best player is tagging though.

That was my first thought aswell. But if our beat player can restrict the oppositions best player and still kick 3 goals ill be happy every week.

Not a bad win considering we have quite a few out, geez love watching Langers play this kid is going to be a complete gun. McEvoy was great what a pick up, Breust was terrific seems to have lost the yips and looks sharp. Was really worried at the start of the game with the depleted backline but under the circumstances they held there own pretty well, but would think Litherland would have to get the call up next week against the Bummers.

Last edited:
Good win in the end but we never seem to play our best footy down there in Tassie regardless of the opposition. They all looked a bit rusty early on but improved as the game went on I thought. Great game from Sheils, what a great kick for goal he is ;)
;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back