Preview Hawks vs Pies - Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your reasoning as if Freo win our chance of a home final are slim, but there is always the remote possibility of Brisbane getting up. Yes, it's extremely unlikely, but while there is hope it would be foolish to not at least give it a go.

Had the Swans/Brisbane game been on before ours so we were in a position to know the results then i might be tempted to consider it.

And lets be honest, what better way to fire the boys and and get them believing in themselves than by knocking off the in-form Premiership fancies? We have beaten the Dogs, Drawn with the Saints, know we can match it with the Cats (came awfully close twice this year) so if we could tick off the Wobbles as well then we'd know we can match it with anyone (have beaten Freo, Swans and Carlton as well so there would be no possible match up that we wouldn't have already done well against)

Exactly. We're in the awkward scenario now that due to the draw against the Saints we MUST beat Collingwood and hope one of Fremantle or Sydney lose if we want to have a real shake at the flag.

would actually like to experiment a bit in final round now that we are playing finals. Rest hodge, bateman and maybe mitchell and bring in muston,shiels and hooper. could also maybe try either shoenmaker or lilse in back half as key backman and release gibson as attacking half back to cover for birchill. Would be good development for shiels to have run with role on swan or pendlebury.We need the hodge ,mitch and the run of bateman to be a force in september so a rest would be ideal for them.
nope, we have to try and win next week, only rest niggly injuries otherwise full strength side. Home final is there for the taking and judging by the way the pies played last nite they are there for the taking.

If I was Collingwood I would rest anyone with a niggle.
Furthermore if I was the stinky pies I would not be going 100% at it either.
They cannot lose their top spot.

As such we need to go in full strength and take advantage of the above possibility.

In - Schoenmakers, Young (if fit)

Out - Birchall, Whitecross

Schoenmakers to pants T. Choke again, which leaves Gilham on Dawes. Gibson showed yesterday he can do the "Birchall" with run and carry off half back and deliver into the F50. It's not about continuity of games, and I think Whitecross played a good enough game, we need Young more, if they're going to continue playing Whitecross out of position.

Schoenmakers to smash up Choke again.

The AGE today reported Schoenmakers had a shocker at Box Hill.

There is a post in the box hill board about this. All is not what it seems i guess. But in saying that would be surprised if he came in this week.

Outs :
Birchall (sad to see him go down):(
Hodgey?? He will be fit. but just in case:thumbsu:

Ins:
Young Young
Shiels OR Hooper Or Muston ( if hodge is not right to go )

The AGE today reported Schoenmakers had a shocker at Box Hill.

If his recent form is good then I wouldn't worry about 1 shocker.

If 1 x shcoker keeps him out, then by the same logic, 1 x BoG would warrant instant inclusion. The same way that 'pantsing' Cloke last time is no indication of how this week will go if he plays. It just isn't the way it works.

Collingwood could really stretch our defense if Jolly went forward; Brown, Cloke & Anthony were forward & some other spud drifted down from the backline.

Schoey may well be an option - I wouldn't be against it - I just want to think about Saturday's game a bit more before I focus on next week!!

I don't think Sydney are necessarily certainties against Brisbane in Brisbane. So I think the smart play is to play the best 22 available as if this was a final. Winning form is good form, if it ain;t broke don't fix it and any one of a myriad of other cliches

We generally had the wood on the Woods until this year, it would be good to get our mojo back against them as you never know we might meet them in the finals

Ive had a look at the predictor and it does NOT look good for a home final. We need the following to happen for the best result:

Carlton to beat Fremantle
Hawthorn to beat Collingwood
Brisbane to beat Sydney

This would give the following from 5th to 8th:

5 Hawks
6 Carlton
7 Sydney
8 Fremantle

OR:

Carlton to beat Freo
Hawks to beat Pies
Sydney to beat Brisbane

5th - 8th would be:

5th Sydney
6th Hawks
7th Carlton
8th Freo

If this doesnt happen we will more than likely be in a really bad place, either playing Freo at Subi or Sydney in Sydney (ANZ).

Alternatively, 3rd best option is:

Carlton to beat Freo
Collingwood to beat Hawks
Brisbane to beat Sydney

This would give the following ladder from 5th - 8th:

5 Carlton
6 Sydney
7 Freo
8 Hawks

The 4th best scenario:

Freo to beat Carlton
Hawks to beat Collingwood
Brisbane to beat Sydney

From 5th - 8th:

5th Freo
6th Hawthorn
7th Sydney
8th Carlton

A good Hawks result seems to be riding on Carlton defeating Freo on Friday, if they dont, then we MUST beat Collingwood and Brisbane MUST beat Sydney... that draw vs St Kilda makes me wanna curl up and die.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive had a look at the predictor and it does NOT look good for a home final. We need the following to happen for the best result:

Carlton to beat Fremantle
Hawthorn to beat Collingwood
Brisbane to beat Sydney

This would give the following from 5th to 8th:

5 Hawks
6 Carlton
7 Sydney
8 Fremantle

OR:

Carlton to beat Freo
Hawks to beat Pies
Sydney to beat Brisbane

5th - 8th would be:

5th Sydney
6th Hawks
7th Carlton
8th Freo

If this doesnt happen we will more than likely be in a really bad place, either playing Freo at Subi or Sydney in Sydney (ANZ).

Alternatively, 3rd best option is:

Carlton to beat Freo
Collingwood to beat Hawks
Brisbane to beat Sydney

This would give the following ladder from 5th - 8th:

5 Carlton
6 Sydney
7 Freo
8 Hawks

The 4th best scenario:

Freo to beat Carlton
Hawks to beat Collingwood
Brisbane to beat Sydney

From 5th - 8th:

5th Freo
6th Hawthorn
7th Sydney
8th Carlton

A good Hawks result seems to be riding on Carlton defeating Freo on Friday, if they dont, then we MUST beat Collingwood and Brisbane MUST beat Sydney... that draw vs St Kilda makes me wanna curl up and die.

Playing Freo in Melbourne would be a great result for us. Go Blues & Lions! We should play to win next week. No resting players. They had their rest this week against Fremantle...A home final would be a huge advantage.

Out: Birchall, Whitecross
In: Schoenmakers, Young

In: Young, Hooper
Out: Birch, whitecross

Need to settle the side this week. I believe Hooper will come into side, need a quick side against Pies and Hoops can give us that x factor.

Last time we played the pies, we had out, Buddy, Sewelly, Silk, Skip, Hoops and Gibbo.

Shoey will not come in. Form does not warrant. Browney will go back.

Cant wait, bumper crowd, Sat arvo, 1 week from finals, delicious!!!

Go Hawks!

In - Schoenmakers, Young (if fit)

Out - Birchall, Whitecross

Schoenmakers to smash up Choke again.

Interesting interpretation. In round 4:-

Cloke kicked a couple, had 11 marks and 17 disposals....apparently whilst playing with his pants around his ankles last time.

Schoenmakers manager 14 touches and from memory pretty much pinpointed the opposition with most of them.

Cloke kicked a couple, had 11 marks and 17 disposals....apparently whilst playing with his pants around his ankles last time.

Schoenmakers manager 14 touches and from memory pretty much pinpointed the opposition with most of them.

As much it hurts to agree with a Coll supporter, I have to agree. Shoey struggles to hit targets from 20m away. Can not afford mistakes like that against a side like the Pies!!

We have enough talls now, Gibbo, Gilly, Stratts and Murph. Its Coll small forwards that get you. So Shoey will not be in side!

Round 4 pretty much every Hawthorn player (Hodge excepted) had their pants pulled down. I think what this person was referring to was when Schoenmakers played on Cloke when we beat you last year and I would imagine that has ZERO relevance for this week.

I wonder if they will play Josh Fraser for his 200th game with top spot sewn up?? Also there are reports on the Pies board that Didak hurt his shoulder on the weekend. Not a serious injury by any means, but not unrealistic that he would miss from 'soreness'.

I wonder if they will play Josh Fraser for his 200th game with top spot sewn up?? Also there are reports on the Pies board that Didak hurt his shoulder on the weekend. Not a serious injury by any means, but not unrealistic that he would miss from 'soreness'.

Looks like Fraser will get his 200th this week. Leigh Brown offered 1 week.

Looks like Fraser will get his 200th this week. Leigh Brown offered 1 week.

That is very good for us.
I can not believe I am about to say this but, we would have struggled to find a suitable match up for him:eek:

We need to get some match fitness into Hoops and Youngy. Birch is gone, Hodgey looks proppy and Ossie looks worst for wear.

Hoops, Young and Ladson in for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back