Preview Hawks vs Swans - Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be a bit of an optimist and say not one Rioli punch landed, no suspension.

Out: Whitecross, Gilham, and Skipper.
In: Hooper, Lisle and Taylor

Gilham's inability to contest in one on ones has been one of the key reasons we are so vulnerable when a team presses forward. He can thank himself lucky Ben Stratton can read the ball coming in and has saved him on many occasions. Give Jordan Lisle a shot on Jesse White all we need is a contest, set a message to Gilham to stop spectating, seriously dominated by Jay Schultz is a worry.

Skipper has been valiant but we need someone that can break even with the monster ruckman, with Mumford coming up and 3 games at VFL level Tails should be ready.

I agree that no punches landed, but the Afl and the Mrp will use this as an example and give Cyril 2 weeks and over hanging points for future.
Youd want to replace a backmen for a ruckman/forward?, from i have been hearng is that Lisle has been kicking goals??

Pretty sure Lisle played CHB in Vic Metro side in TAC, being played as a forward because his pace is not up there yet, but surely he could go with Jesse White who is no greyhound.

I would even contemplate Stratton at Full Back at least he has an idea how to contest a mark.

I personaly would not mess around with our back line, they have been solid for 12 weeks and they now have a understanding of each other, how ever our foward line is a real concern how can we have 2 of the best fowards going round and yet we struggle to kick 100 points in a game..:confused:

Wow, Roughead is not getting a lot of love here. I'd trade McVeigh for Roughead in a heartbeat. What the hell, you can have Shaw as well.

When was the last time Hawks beat Swans in Sydney?

I cant remember. Bloody long time. As much as we hate travelling to AAMI, I fear our record in Sydney in the last 20 years is probably worse.

Haven't seen a post too worried about it yet but it's one of the first games I look for on a new roster every year.

"Do we play Sydney in Sydney?" No. You beauty. One less loss for the year.

It has been a certainty for years now that we chalk this down for a loss.

Didn't think they were too bad last night. More scoring shots and more forward entries than the Cats and lose by 50! Geelong just couldn't bloody miss!

Don't be surprised.....

Edit. Done a bit of digging. Swans finished last in 94.

That was the last time we beat them in Sydney.

Just a lazy 16 seasons!!!!!!!!!

INS: Peterson/Lisle i think Lisle is the one we need he is a great lead and it would be better if Lisle and Buddy were in the FWD 50 and Roughy leading up outside the 50 still a greta amkr cnt kick though peterson would be good but isnt consistent enough plus Lisle deserves a game
Savage only if rioli is suspended plus he can carry the ball and run which most our players arent doing
Taylor only if he is 100% needed in all honesty id b agaist this but renouf has looked great around the ground taking good marks and kicking goals which is what skiper should be doing but isnt doing enough of taylor is a great ruckman but renouf is great around the ground will compliment eachother well
Hooper only if 100% ready offers great def pressure plus can kick goals great x factor to have

OUT: Skipper, Renouf has looked better than him around the ground but we need a strong ruckman to play with renouf
Rioli if suspended
Ladson Offers nothing realli gets cheap kicks doesnt take the game on good player but not needed ellis is the exact same player and ellis plays decent against power
Whitecross he is a HBF now a FWD good kick when running taking the game on dont know y he is playing FWD

We should bring in schoenmakers against melbourne to lay on watts gets a bad rep here but is needed gilham is 1 tall gibson is a 3rd tall schoey looked good on CHFs gumbleton, cloke, ottens etc he can play not good with ball in hand but his size is needed

If Taylor is 100% then this week could be the time for him to come back. I'm still having nightmares about Brogan to Gray, Brogan to Gray, Brogan to ...

Taylor was fantastic for box hill today dominated the ruck against casey with young lowden. I wonder if he will get a gig against big mumford

In-Hooper, Muston, Peterson
Out- Riolli ( suspended ), Ladson, Whitecross

Guerra, Gilham, Murphy
Muston, Stratton, Gibson
Bateman, Hodge, Lewis
Burgoyne, Franklin, Young
Hooper, Roughead, Osborne
Renouf, Sewell, Mitchell
Birchall, Skipper, Ellis, Peterson

In: Shiels, Muston
Out: Rioli, Whitex

Hot sauce will definately get weeks unfortunately. The afl wont like that punches were thrown whether they connected fully or not. Shielsy in to cover the midfield rotations which will be important against sydney. The kid has a red hot crack and I like him.

Whitex just not good enough over the past 3 weeks. Had his chance and a bigger body required.

Also not sure why people on here are calling for gilhams head. I agree he was beaten on the weekend but so was hodge- players will have off games and unfortunately most of the team had one on saturday. Should Hodge be dropped too? I cant really remember gilham having 2 rubbish games in a row and that is why he is good player whos importance is often underrated. He will bounce back this week, just like hodge will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor was fantastic for box hill today dominated the ruck against casey with young lowden. I wonder if he will get a gig against big mumford
Yes mate, i read your review - excellent stuff! Great to see some of the potential 1's getting in the spotlight for a game next week - also good for those of us who cannot get along to BH games to be able to read the reviews. Peterson has to come in, also Hooper if Rioli is given an enforced rest. I dont like seeing more than a couple of changes a week at this time of the year, though the rucks could do with a bit of beefing up.

While i have been impressed by Skipper this season, Taylor is the best stand and deliver knock ruckman at the club. The two have diametrically opposed skills, a combination of the best of both rolled into one would be ideal (any genetic engineers on BF?).

Against somebody like Mumford (or Sandilands in a few weeks) I would prefer to see a Taylor/Renouf combo. So perhaps three changes this week.

In: Taylor, Muston, Peterson
Out: Skipper, WhiteX, Cyril

Cyril suspended surely, cannot see the AFL casting a blind eye to the punches he was throwing. Peterson comes in.
Muston up forward and Lewis in the guts all day.
Got mauled out of the centre by a bigger ruckman in Brogan on saturday (you could make a case for our midfielders not having fuel left in the tank after the Saints), I like Skipper and he has played really well this year but we need the big body in there to not only force the contests but win the contests. Skipper could possibly feature as a 3rd ruckman/forward/defender if there was a need, but would be unlikely

WhiteX was *ing horrible as usual kid needs to look at himself in the mirror and see if he still wants to play afl.

According to some...

OUT: Hawthorn

IN: Box Hill

In all seriousness...

I think Ladson deserves another week. Effort wasn't up to it but first game back after a fair stint in the magoos may take a week to get up to the pace. Whitecross made some costly errors, and looked out of his depth. Back to box hill for him. If Hoops is fit he is in, regardless of whether Cyril gets off (no chance).

OUT: Whitecross, Rioli

IN: Muston, Hooper

PS - I'd be interested to know what Roughead's KPI's are as a forward, you'd imagine a certain level of set shot accuracy would be one of them. In my opinion you cannot afford to have your key forward constantly missing easy set shots. However dropping Roughead and drastically changing our structure isn't ideal at this time of the year when we need to keep winning.

In: Taylor, Peterson, Hooper (All 3 in the best for Box Hill)
Out: Skipper, Whitecross, Rioli (susp)

We need to start getting AFL gametime into Taylor - we will never win a GF with Renouf and Skipper rucking unfortunately. Taylor is our best tap ruckman by far.

Whitey has been meh the last couple of weeks, and Hooper adds a lot more.

Peterson in for Cyril, most logical move.

By dropping Roughead to Box Hill, does not mean his accuracy will improve. Hawthorn struggles to win interstate, l cant remember the last time (except Tassie) when they won an interstate game comfortably. Whether they finish 5th or 6th will not make much of a difference, as top 4 is out of the question. At their best the Hawks can beat anyone in the top 4.

When was the last time Hawks beat Swans in Sydney?

I cant remember. Bloody long time. As much as we hate travelling to AAMI, I fear our record in Sydney in the last 20 years is probably worse.

Haven't seen a post too worried about it yet but it's one of the first games I look for on a new roster every year.

"Do we play Sydney in Sydney?" No. You beauty. One less loss for the year.

It has been a certainty for years now that we chalk this down for a loss.

Didn't think they were too bad last night. More scoring shots and more forward entries than the Cats and lose by 50! Geelong just couldn't bloody miss!

Don't be surprised.....

Edit. Done a bit of digging. Swans finished last in 94.

That was the last time we beat them in Sydney.

Just a lazy 16 seasons!!!!!!!!!

Some digging you did man... cos you are WRONG!

we beat them with heritage jumpers probably in 2002 or 2003 i think
we won by quite a bit too... check again mate

In: Taylor, Peterson, Hooper (All 3 in the best for Box Hill)
Out: Skipper, Whitecross, Rioli (susp)

We need to start getting AFL gametime into Taylor - we will never win a GF with Renouf and Skipper rucking unfortunately. Taylor is our best tap ruckman by far.

Whitey has been meh the last couple of weeks, and Hooper adds a lot more.

Peterson in for Cyril, most logical move.

x 2 - Cyril will go, I have no doubt. If Hooper is not quite up to it yet (fitness wise), give Muston another go. If Taylor needs another week at VFL, leave Skipper in.

Have to bring Big Tails in.

The smashing in the ruck/clearance at the weekend was horrible.

Don't know why anyone wants to drop Ladson, he was good, one of cleaner handlers of the ball out there for us.

WhiteX was *ing horrible as usual kid needs to look at himself in the mirror and see if he still wants to play afl.

A tad harsh don't you think? He has had an interupted pre-season and it is unfair to lay this critisism on him. Granted, he hasn't had the best few weeks but how do you expect him to get better with no practice?

If you were a LOYAL supporter you wouldn't constantly belittle these young boys, instead you would give them the support they need to become better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back