Training Hawthorn intra-club, Latrobe Uni, 5pm Wednesday 15th

Remove this Banner Ad

if you are going to claim a player is lock maybe justify why? (And not that x player is good).

Re scrim. He doesn’t appear in the best back 6 which seems to be Hardwick, Blanck, frost, CJ, Sicily, impey. Thus he’s really going for a bench spot. With Day being adding to midfield but likely still spends time down back + likely intent to give games to Mackenzie and weddle (who can also play hbf) Scrim’s position in 22 doesn’t seem as clear cut as a ‘lock’.

if you are going to claim a player is lock maybe justify why? (And not that x player is good).

Re scrim. He doesn’t appear in the best back 6 which seems to be Hardwick, Blanck, frost, CJ, Sicily, impey. Thus he’s really going for a bench spot. With Day being adding to midfield but likely still spends time down back + likely intent to give games to Mackenzie and weddle (who can also play hbf) Scrim’s position in 22 doesn’t seem as clear cut as a ‘lock’.
Add to that the likelihood of Bramble playing down there as well. Jack has some good attributes but he is fighting for his spot atm

💯.

He needs to be able to play in different parts of the ground, in different roles.

We're obviousky stacked with half-back flankers. Impey returning to defence and potentially back to his best places even more pressure on Scrimma.

With Frost and Blanck likely to play key position, Sicily slides to the role Scrimshaw likes to play. And does it much better.

People are not joining the dots on Bramble either. He's been getting some really strong praise from Mitchell and Simpson over pre-season.

Not sure how you can essentially question Scrimshaw's ability to defend and then praise Bramble in the same post. Bramble is soft and cannot defend a man to save himself, at least Scrimshaw is great in the air.

💯.

He needs to be able to play in different parts of the ground, in different roles.

We're obviousky stacked with half-back flankers. Impey returning to defence and potentially back to his best places even more pressure on Scrimma.

With Frost and Blanck likely to play key position, Sicily slides to the role Scrimshaw likes to play. And does it much better.

People are not joining the dots on Bramble either. He's been getting some really strong praise from Mitchell and Simpson over pre-season.
Spot on with Sicily to half back with Jiath. Impey back in form in the pocket. it's a exciting attacking back 6.
I think DGB will play, given a task most weeks, tight marking role ala Stratts. Scrims imo needs to learn the wing or perhaps a half forward role.

Back 6 for mine
FB:Hardwick, Blanck, Impey
HB: Sicily, Frost, Jiath

Add to that the likelihood of Bramble playing down there as well. Jack has some good attributes but he is fighting for his spot atm
If he plays to his potential it's certainly a fight he wins, but there are very few players in the Hawks team at the moment who are genuine locks. This is a good thing. The competition could be exactly what drives Scrimshaw to make the next step.

That's great, how about you keep your snide little "haven't been watching the games closely enough" comments to yourself if you don't like them being fired back?
Don't get upset and accuse me of snide comments. I'm just pointing out that what you see on TV is only what the broadcast shows whilst being there live let's you see how the backline is setting up when the ball looks like going down there, how the forwards are manoevring when it's going forward and how the mids are positioning themselves when the ball's at either end.
And I'm telling you imo that what scrim is doing and his general play has him easily in our best-22.

Sorry if that's being snide by your standards, but it's the truth.

Getting a bit excited about some of the new/newish smalls standing up well

Also class and pace in the midfield around grunty Jai, Nash and Worps

Can’t wait for Hustwaite to put on some muscle.

Ward and McKenzie might collectively make me cry tears of joy in years to come. I have a sniffle as we speak

Ruck issues? Don’t think so

Weddle sounds like a future running weapon. How do you match up on a guy that big who runs all day.

FORGET ABOUT IT

Don't get upset and accuse me of snide comments. I'm just pointing out that what you see on TV is only what the broadcast shows whilst being there live let's you see how the backline is setting up when the ball looks like going down there, how the forwards are manoevring when it's going forward and how the mids are positioning themselves when the ball's at either end.
And I'm telling you imo that what scrim is doing and his general play has him easily in our best-22.

Sorry if that's being snide by your standards, but it's the truth.
I think you are living in 2022 it is now 2023. Jack has a lot of competition for his spot

If he plays to his potential it's certainly a fight he wins, but there are very few players in the Hawks team at the moment who are genuine locks. This is a good thing. The competition could be exactly what drives Scrimshaw to make the next step.
Scrim should play forward or at least tried for this exact reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are living in 2022 it is now 2023. Jack has a lot of competition for his spot

Who are his direct competitors?

Hardwick - plays small
Impey - plays small
Bramble - plays small, unproven defender
Day - moved into the midfield
Blanck/Frost - play KPD

Sicily, CJ and to a lesser extent DGB would be his direct competition in terms of their roles. But we have seen Scrimshaw work well with CJ and Sicily.

That really only leaves Bramble and maybe one of DGB or Frost. I believe DGB and Frost are more likely competing for the same spot as opposed to either of them competing with Scrimshaw anyway, and Bramble was exposed when he played as a defender in the big leagues.

Hardwick - plays small
Impey - plays small
Blanck/Frost - play KPD

Sicily, CJ and to a lesser extent DGB would be his direct competition in terms of their roles. But we have seen Scrimshaw work well with CJ and Sicily.

That really only leaves Bramble and maybe one of DGB or Frost. I believe DGB and Frost are more likely competing for the same spot as opposed to either of them competing with Scrimshaw anyway, and Bramble was exposed when he played as a defender in the big leagues.
Personally I feel we can only really have two loose checking rebounding defenders at any one point in our back 6. Anymore than that and teams will score at Will against us. Especially with the fast game plan we are moving towards and our midfield worries.

For mine, Hardwick and Sicily are locks. 2 of Blanck/ Frost and DGB play. Against a smaller forward line I’d play Morris and only one of the above once he’s back from the shoulder. For now Frost can play small if needed.

Leaves Impey, CJ, Scrim, Bramble and maybe Day going for 2 spots with maybe an extra one on the bench.

I’d expect Scrim to play most games, but it’s also true I’d really hoped to have seen some improvement from him in one on one situations. Instead of always wanting to be the third man up.

Hardwick - plays small
Impey - plays small
Blanck/Frost - play KPD

Sicily, CJ and to a lesser extent DGB would be his direct competition in terms of their roles.

That really only leaves Bramble and maybe one of DGB or Frost. I believe DGB and Frost are more likely competing for the same spot as opposed to him competing with Scrimshaw anyway, and Bramble was exposed when he played as a defender in the big leagues.
The issue here is that the specific role Scrimshaw plays - medium sized intercept player - may not be something that is 100% necessary for the team. Like for like or direct competitors aren't really the issue. It might be something as simple as Morris returning, pushing Hardwick into a more attacking role as Sam seemed to want to do last season. To facilitate that sort of change to the team something needs to be removed.

If we take Blanck, Sicily and Frost as a given because they're the preferred tall options, we're left with Impey, CJ, Hardwick and Scrimshaw taking up the remaining 3 posts with 1 on the bench. Who is the most at risk out of those 4?

The team didn't have too many challenges to the status quo given that Frost, Bramble and Morris all missed large chunks. We don't know if the defensive make up from last year is something that Sam wants to preserve.

Crazy to think he wouldn’t be in our best 22, but reckon there’s anything to read into Scrim being in the Bs team for the intraclub?

Not like we don’t have an abundance of half backs.

I certainly have him ahead of Bramble, yet he was in the As and Scrim in the Bs.

Scrim is one of our more experienced players in defence now. He could have simply been used as a more mature head to organise such a young backline for the day.

Not sure how you can essentially question Scrimshaw's ability to defend and then praise Bramble in the same post. Bramble is soft and cannot defend a man to save himself, at least Scrimshaw is great in the air.

I didn't say anything about either defending.

It's simply a numbers thing.

Blanck, Frost, Sicily, Hardwick, Jiath and Impey seems to be the starting six.

Bramble has been getting lots of praise over pre-season, Simpson even referring to him as 'elite'. He was in the probables, Scrimma wasn't.

DGB will need games.

Is Day playing mid/back? Does Morris eventually release Hardwick? Can Seamus come on?

I expect Scrimshaw will play round 1, but he does need to show flexibility moving forward IMO. Lots of competition for that 7th defender spot.

Bramble was pretty sloppy the other night. I wouldn’t have him in the side over Scrim, who can at least play a few roles.

Maybe correct, but as quite a versatile player he’d be one of the first considered to cover injuries. 20 times in 2022

We’ve suffered recently from sloppy disposal and while the recent draftees aren’t afl hardened, they all seem to be good in that aspect.

3+ year players who are sloppy might want to lift their game. If one thing showed on Wednesday was the amount of energy from all involved.

Disposal early was good all round, but the pressure was kept up till almost the end which is why it got scrappy.

Suggests those teams who can do 3 or 4 quarters will roll over our team until we get harder and better. Heavy rotations will help

What makes Scrimmers a walk up start in our 22 (to my eyes at least) is his consistency.

He is one of a handful of players on our list (along with Sicily, Moore, Hardwick and a couple others) that I feel confident will bring at the very least a solid B grade game just about every week.

Given we have such a young team we need consistent, proven talent to help guide them and compensate for the inevitable ups and downs young players have over a long year.

Ward and Mackenzie look like they're developing into our own version of Walsh and Cerra (in terms of their play style).

Add Newk and Day, thinking those 4 will feature heavily in midfield going forward - although I still think hawks will,continue to rotate heavily, and Nash MacDonald Maginness Amon Worpel Moore to provide rotation support

Remove this Banner Ad

Back