Training Hawthorn intra-club, Latrobe Uni, 5pm Wednesday 15th

Remove this Banner Ad

Scrimshaw is very consistent for the role that he plays. I’m not sure what more he has to do in order to justify his spot in the team.

Last year he ranked second in contested marks and second in contested possessions among the Hawthorn defenders. I would be shocked if he’s not selected Round 1.
Sam seems to want to play helper skelter through the middle. To pull it off you want speed behind the ball. Real running power. Scrim doesn’t offer that. Not saying he gets the Howe treatment but he has really got to show he can defend deep or gut run from defence to be apart of the game sam wants to play.

Frost is our only option for the powerful mid sized forwards. Although I don’t rate him, Stringer is someone who is (on his day) either too strong for our smalls or too quick for our bigs. Frost matches up well on the likes of him

Frost can play big guys one-on-one and works hard to not get beaten when bodied up by his opponent.

Scrim got torn a new one by Riley Thilthorpe in his 1st game of AFL footy. Not a big fan of body contact is our Jack.
Scrim doesn’t need to play on the bigs when we have blank and sic, we need more ball movement and he brings that.

Frost could suprise with his run tho, but scrim still has far more upside in our defence to increase our score (frost will get pinger by the umps to, more because it’s an easy call even if it’s wrong)

Scrim is an automatic bench spot for mine. We have a plethora of intercepting/rebounding defenders but he is the one with the skillset to be deployed forward if need be. Yes, Impey can play that pressure forward role, but Scrimshaws height and finishing ability is far more valuable.
We need a seven man defence, six on deck one rotating. I always build a team by line, as some line coach’s tend to. There is a strong collection at the Hawks that I think will hold us in good stead. Also on a side note I do like Frosty taking a player, he’s competitive and combative and pesky, his pace and reach is a real asset.
Dimma, Blankt, Impey, Sicily, CJ, DGB, Frosty and Scrim , one will miss out each week , then there is Morris etc … good problem to have.

If Scrim isn't in our 22 we are playing finals
Good Scrim - absolutely
Bad Scrim - possibly not

Needs to defend more and stop writing cheques by foot his disposal can’t cash. That’s Good Scrim.

Can’t understand those who say he is consistent. He probably has the greatest gap between his best and worst on our list.

One thing's almost certain, if someone isn't performing they'll be out of the side pretty quickly.

These names should be pushing to consolidate best-22 this season:

Harry Morrison
James Worpel
Conor Nash
Lachlan Bramble
Cooper Stephens
Jacob Koschitzke
Denver Grainger-Barras
Fergus Greene
Cam Mackenzie
Jai Serong
Max Lynch
Sam Butler
Finn Maginness
Josh Morris
Josh Weddle
Emerson Jeka
Tyler Brockman

Even guys like the below could land a game:

Jack O'Sullivan
Henry Hustwaite
Seamus Mitchell
Max Ramsden
Ned Long

The only names I probably can't see playing in 2023:

Josh Bennetts
Bailey McDonald
Fionn O'Hara

Last edited:
I feel like this Scrimshaw thing has been taken out of context by people that disagree with it. My post that sparked all this wasn't saying Scrimshaw is a poor player, just that I see Scrimshaw's position to be at risk if he doesn't make strides this year given how strong our backline could be. By direct comparison to other players at a similar age - Moore, Morrison, Lewis, Nash - he's coasted at a decent enough level while those other guys have showed regular improvement.

That means that I don't see him as a set and forget member of the team, particularly if we're trying to keep the likes of Weddle and Day in the team while fitting a returning Morris or Morrison in. I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like this Scrimshaw thing has been taken out of context by people that disagree with it. My post that sparked all this wasn't saying Scrimshaw is a poor player, just that I see Scrimshaw's position to be at risk if he doesn't make strides this year given how strong our backline could be. By direct comparison to other players at a similar age - Moore, Morrison, Lewis, Nash - he's coasted at a decent enough level while those other guys have showed regular improvement.

That means that I don't see him as a set and forget member of the team, particularly if we're trying to keep the likes of Weddle and Day in the team while fitting a returning Morris or Morrison in. I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion.

Nash? Scrimshaw is three times the player.

Ditto Morris. Morris shows promise but no indication he has near the talent of Scrimshaw.

If Scrimshaw is fit, and not getting a game, there will be clubs circling like vultures. Automatic 22 lock for me.

Ditto Morris. Morris shows promise but no indication he has near the talent of Scrimshaw.

If Scrimshaw is fit, and not getting a game, there will be clubs circling like vultures. Automatic 22 lock for me.
Different roles, and the point was that players need to keep improving. Nash does, Scrimshaw doesn't. In that case Scrimshaw will be the better player until he isn't.

Again, like I said in a previous post, this isn't Morris replacing Scrimshaw directly but Morris fitting in to a small defender role which frees Hardwick up to be more attacking. This could push Scrimshaw to the fringe because Hardwick is a much better, more reliable and less * up prone user of the ball.

Morrison similar, not replacing Scrimshaw directly but pushing guys like Day and Weddle back into rotating across the backline. They both provide significantly more run than Scrimshaw does so this might push him to the fringes as well.

Scrimshaw will definitely play round 1 but there are things he needs to tighten up because he's not a definite lock.

That is not what he said. In particular see the bold.

"he's coasted at a decent enough level while those other guys have showed regular improvement."

KermitJagger isn't comparing talent but comparing drive. Not sure I agree 100% with his views on Scrimshaw but if you stagnate you'll get surpassed.

Scrimshaw needs to find a way to be more like Birchall, the running player, than the mark and kick player he has been to date. Birchall ability to work hard backwards enabled him to receive from other defenders and turn defence into attack either through run or accurate kicking. Scrimshaw can be that player.

Here is a fun highlight to enjoy 😂

Sam seems to want to play helper skelter through the middle. To pull it off you want speed behind the ball. Real running power. Scrim doesn’t offer that. Not saying he gets the Howe treatment but he has really got to show he can defend deep or gut run from defence to be apart of the game sam wants to play.
Elite kicking is faster than running, Scrimshaw walks into any clubs best 18.

Scrimshaw needs to find a way to be more like Birchall, the running player, than the mark and kick player he has been to date. Birchall ability to work hard backwards enabled him to receive from other defenders and turn defence into attack either through run or accurate kicking. Scrimshaw can be that player.

Here is a fun highlight to enjoy

Great point.

Scrimshaw is a decent player atm. Hopefully he can take his game to a new level.

I've seen some posters compare him almost favourably to Birchall but Birch was a much better player. Here's hoping Scrimshaw can take the next step.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Great point.

Scrimshaw is a decent player atm. Hopefully he can take his game to a new level.

I've seen some posters compare him almost favourably to Birchall but Birch was a much better player. Here's hoping Scrimshaw can take the next step.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Scrimshaw is a better mark, which is why Champion Data loves him. Intercept marks are gold for ranking systems.

Birchall is better at everything else.

Elite kicking is faster than running, Scrimshaw walks into any clubs best 18.
People who salivate over his elite kicking tend to overlook the fact that he actually has a fair few shanks that turn into opposition scores.

Risk / reward for sure, but similar to Brent Guerra a few years back he has a tendency to punch out a howler or two and doesn’t work hard to rectify the situation when it happens.

Were he capable of shutting down an opposition forward, as any elite defender should, I wouldn’t be as concerned, but he clearly loves playing loose and if you want to take those risks, you really need to hit all your kicks.

I actually would enjoy seeing him playing up forward as I think he could be a handful for opposition defenders as a floating Fritsch-type 3rd forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back