Hawthorn Premiership Odds

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I should type slower...

We're trying to dissect this year from last in order to isolate factors that may explain what has propelled you to the position you're in now. As part of that exercise we have already acknowledged that the Burtons, Hardwicks, Impeys, Mitchells & Omearas have played a part, along with the part played by your premiership players. The question is, have your younger brigade/new players contributed anything? On the evidence it is hard to see how, other than superficially.
I think it is great you spend so much time thinking bout Hawthorn.

I think it is great you spend so much time thinking bout Hawthorn.

I am concerned as a footy fan. Last time Hawks were heading downhill so rapidly it almost ended the club. Pretty sure the Dees would want nothing to do with a merger these days. You might have to snuggle up to Essendon for a merger this time.

According to your definition, o’maera is youth. This time last year he had not established himself as a core part of the hawthorn best 22. Impey also fits the same definition. Ludicrous way to define youth.

By your definition we should throw in Schoenmakers too, despite the 300 VFL games he's played for Bendigo in your reserves. Don't throw your toys out of the cot again Hawks fans, just messing with ya, your reserves side is not Bendigo, I know it's Coburg.

By your definition we should throw in Schoenmakers too, despite the 300 VFL games he's played for Bendigo in your reserves. Don't throw your toys out of the cot again Hawks fans, just messing with ya, your reserves side is not Bendigo, I know it's Coburg.

Read the post. I didn’t define anything.

My definition, if I had to choose one, would most likely be all players under 22, 21, or something similar.

Maybe I should type slower...

We're trying to dissect this year from last in order to isolate factors that may explain what has propelled you to the position you're in now. As part of that exercise we have already acknowledged that the Burtons, Hardwicks, Impeys, Mitchells & Omearas have played a part, along with the part played by your premiership players. The question is, have your younger brigade/new players contributed anything? On the evidence it is hard to see how, other than superficially.
I understand your question.

I am interested in your view on it.

Are you suggesting that Hawks rise to where they are now is largely attributable to the form of their older players combined with a favourable draw following a poor 2017?

I am concerned as a footy fan. Last time Hawks were heading downhill so rapidly it almost ended the club. Pretty sure the Dees would want nothing to do with a merger these days. You might have to snuggle up to Essendon for a merger this time.
Didn’t your team have to relocate interstate to survive? And since then had numerous bailouts? Not to mention cola. The hypocrisy is breathtaking

Mods please block this clown...

Comprehension not your strong suit.
The entire premise of what I have stated is that Hawks have improved this year. The question is why/how.

It's not your vanilla youngsters that have improved you this year. The only one that has kept his place in the team is Morrison. That is a simple fact.

You have won 3 games against a top 8 side all year, another fact. All in the first half of the year. Geelong, who are now out of the 8, Dees who have a woeful record against top 8 teams and Port. Who are these good sides you have beaten?

Talking about the draw is ridiculous considering they have had to play geelong twice and essendon twice who prior to the season were premiership fancys and have beat them on both occasions .

I'm starting to think you may be jade ? Anywyas talking about f***d what happens to your club when franklin continues to ages is McCartin going to kick you a winning score ? Dont be fooled sydney's young players aren't great either , besides heeney and Hayward I cant see any potential a grader's

Derrr-mutt the dog is such a petty, jealous dog that he snipes junior just because it burns him that both junior and senior are 100 times the player he ever was.

You're dreaming if you think Hawks have rebuilt. Youngsters are vanilla and/or bog ordinary. Clarko can't coach vanilla/bog ordinary players.
You'll be bottom 4 next year.

Don't be angry man. Relax, smile.

Cool play on Derm's name too :handok:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He makes half a good point.
Derms assassination of Ablett after that miss was disgusting. It was also illogical. Of course Ablett will avoid body contact when trying to kick a goal.

Nah he doesn't make a good point. Whether Dermott was right or wrong is irrelevant. The bloke had a great career and is still killing it in the media (love him or hate him).... 5 time day and 5 time night Dur-mutt ain't jealous of the Abletts at all.

N37 is just highly hysterical.

Nah he doesn't make a good point. Whether Dermott was right or wrong is irrelevant. The bloke had a great career and is still killing it in the media (love him or hate him).... 5 time day and 5 time night Dur-mutt ain't jealous of the Abletts at all.

N37 is just highly hysterical.

No but he seems to have an obsession with GAJ.
He gives him way too much grief for it to be a coincidence.

(I also said half a good point :p)

Read the post. I didn’t define anything.

My definition, if I had to choose one, would most likely be all players under 22, 21, or something similar.

My definition is wholly unambiguous. Players that have come into the team for the first time this year. Again, the purpose is to differentiate this year from last.
Your angst about my definition seems to be because it excludes players like Hardwick, when I have already acknowledged and accounted for their contribution.

I understand your question.

I am interested in your view on it.

Are you suggesting that Hawks rise to where they are now is largely attributable to the form of their older players combined with a favourable draw following a poor 2017?

I didn't want to mention the soft draw... it might be a little bit too much for some to comprehend all at once.

The evidence;
Soft draw. At best soft-ish draw
8 new players, only 1 has held his spot in the team for the majority of the year.
Of the 8 new players none have taken the spot of an established players through form. They've mostly replaced another young'un who couldn't hold his spot in the team.
Not sure how Hawks classify players like Schoenmakers/Howe/Brand/Langford. Fair to say they've all had the chances and haven't been good enough for long enough to be called AFL standard players at this moment. You'd think that with all their retirements and and list changes that those 4 players would be well entrenched in their best 22, at this moment. Is there a problem with Hawthorn's player development? Is that the reason they keep going to the trade table instead of the draft table? But that's a different issue, for now.

It seems to me a fair conclusion that where they are now is largely attributable to the form of their older players.
Whilst they've been competitive against the really good sides, FYI Essendon is NOT a good side, their strength has always been their ability to score. Genius Clarko seems to have taken a liking to throwing his best forwards down back (Gunston, Sicily) and they can't really kick a winning score anymore...unless the opposition is really poor.
IMO they have no chance of winning a final so it seems reasonable to say that finishing higher up the ladder but mid-range is going to make it even more difficult for them to start their rebuild. They seem to be heading down the same path as Carlton 5 or 6 years ago.

Is there a problem with Hawthorn's player development? Is that the reason they keep going to the trade table instead of the draft table?

Maybe we recruit and trade for needs. Like the Swans with KPF..... Buddy, Tippet, Hall, Lockett......... that's a fine history of development from within.

Don't be angry man. Relax, smile.

Cool play on Derm's name too :handok:

I'm not angry, as a footy fan I'm saddened to see the demise of Hawthorn.
It's like when you see one of your mates with a gambling or drug problem and you try to help them out.
You know what they say, the first step is acknowledging there is a problem.

Maybe we recruit and trade for needs. Like the Swans with KPF..... Buddy, Tippet, Hall, Lockett......... that's a fine history of development from within.
Has worked an absolute treat so far.

I would suggest you look up the meaning of the word hypocrisy Jane, dear.
Not sure if you recall the pre Sydney days my dear, but South Melbourne were in a lot more strife than what Hawthorn had ever been. Hadn’t won a flag for nearly 50 years dwindling crowds. Got moved to Sydney went bust almost 3 times. Survived on handouts and allowances by the Afl and clubs up to a couple of years ago. If you recall 1996 my dear Hawthorn voted against the merger and has flourished ever since my dear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back