Preview Hawthorn vs Gold Coast - Changes & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be so sure about that DJ. Hodge makes some howlers too, the difference being they are not in the last line of defence, so don't get scrutinised as much. The same goes for almost all our players.

I agree all players make mistakes but there is a massive difference in making a howler in the centre of the ground than making a howler right in front of your goal...Murphy has more of those errors in pressure situations than any of our other defenders.

As for the Murphy / Straton debate, I will support whoever comes in without fear or favour. My knock on bringing Stratton in (outside the match fitness) is his touch, and ability to read the play in a final. He will be a great player for us, but he's not quite at the level yet where he can just come back in and star straight away.

I don't look it at that way, some players naturally know how to read the play, call it instinct or whatever you like, Stratton is one of those players, he came in last year his first season and knew exactly where to position himself, when to and when to not go up....the only thing that would affect his ability to read the play would be his fitness not being able to physically get to the right spot, once again he is also aerobically gifted.

I hope we get the chance to have a good look at him this week.

Don't be so sure about that DJ. Hodge makes some howlers too, the difference being they are not in the last line of defence, so don't get scrutinised as much. The same goes for almost all our players.

As for the Murphy / Straton debate, I will support whoever comes in without fear or favour. My knock on bringing Stratton in (outside the match fitness) is his touch, and ability to read the play in a final. He will be a great player for us, but he's not quite at the level yet where he can just come back in and star straight away.

Mate i was pretty skeptical myself about Stratton coming back in after such a long lay off. Then i saw the box hill game. This guy is just a natural defender. He knows how to position himself, read the play, when to punch and when to take possession. The only thing that might be missing is the fact that he hasn't played with the other blokes in our backline and so maybe out of sync in that matter. Here's hoping he has a good game against GWS and or Box Hill wherever he plays.

I'm terrible with maths but can someone tell me suppose Cats lose by 15 points on Friday night, how much would hawks have to win by to overtake the Cats on % and get that 2nd spot on the ladder?

I think it's an approximately 90 point differential, so if we beat GC by 60 points and the Pies beat the Cats by 30 we'll take 2nd.

Really think we need to rest the following guys :
  • Bailey
  • Gibson
  • Hodge
  • Rioli
Cannot do without these against Geelong 1st final - even better having them fresh

Tough call, wouldn't want to make to many changes
Out - Rioli (no need to risk), Gibson, Bailey
In - Mitchell, Lisle, Renouf
Shiels as the Sub

Against Geelong, assuming no injuries
Out - Renouf, Lisle, Bruce
In, Bailey, Rioli, Gibson

I think that will allow for:
Puoplo - Gibson - Murphy
Birchall - Schoey - Suckling
Savage - Mitchell - J Lewis
L Shiels - Franklin - Burgoyne
Ossie - Hale - Rioli
Bailey - Sewell - Hodge
Bruest - Guerra - Whitecross - Smith

I think that's a pretty strong line up for final 1

If Stratton does get named and plays - wouldn't that be huge! Are any attendies for the match keen to get some of those 'No, it's not Stigmata, it's just Ben Stratton getting your attention' signs?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710502&page=30

Some of my favourites;

- Gary Ablett wears Ben Stratton PJ's to bed.
- Ben Stratton can solve a rubix cube just by looking at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to be fully geared up for finals football, so I feel we won't rest anyone, but we won't risk anyone either. So we should be going to the GC with as close to full strength as possible.

In: Mitchell, Stratton, Ellis
Out: Bruce...and then it gets tough...maybe Savage...maybe Murphy

In Stratton, Mitchell

Out maybe bruce - spare man from defence rotates thru Bruces role
other out - anyone with a niggle maybe Rioli

two changes is the limit !

then v geelong, rioli comes in for 'worst' defender

OMG all this talk with finals in the air has got my juices flowing. Bring on the finals and Go Hawks, I can smell a flag!!!!!!

Stratton and Mitch to come in.

Bruce out, and I'm not sure who else. I'd like to see Savage get another game, just in case he can recapture that form from earlier in the season. Earlier in the season I thought to myself, if we could just replace Murphy with Stratton we'd have a great backline, but Murphy has been mostly pretty good lately. It might be a case where he hasn't done much wrong, but he just gets replaced by a better player, which Stratton is without question.

Also, if you look at the ladder, Geelong's differential between points for and against is 121 better than ours, so I'm not sure how the ladder predictor is getting us going to 2nd with 90 point combined margins. I'll try crunching some numbers.

I'm sorry Davo....I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It still doesn't change my opinion that we can't carry both.

BTW: at the start of the year when Stratton was playing Murphy wasn't. Last year we didn't have Shoey playing, this time around we have Shoey in the side who brings true KP height.
Back line and in my opinion best team going into finals.

Guerra Gibson Stratton(Murphy)
Birchall Shoey Burgoyne

Suckling Mitchell Lewis

Rioli Franklin Whitecross(Breust)
Osbourne Hale Puopolo

Bailey Hodge Sewell

I/C Shiels Bateman(Savage) Ellis(Bruce) Smith

Please tell....... who makes way for Stratton, taking into account a like for like player balance and position.

Couldn't agree more with that team Dip...if Stratts is right to go then unfortunately Murphy misses.
Simple team balance issue...plus talent, but its no disgrace been behind Stratton in the pecking order.
But we have some depth atleast in Murphy, Cheney and Lisle as players able to fills holes during the finals campaign if needed.

Exciting times ahead:)

Okay, here is a hypothetical in which we win by 60, and Geelong lose by 30

Geelong current: 2399 - 1566
Score in r24: 40 - 70
Geelong after round 24: 2439 - 1636
Geelong final %: 149.08

Hawthorn current: 2249 - 1537
Scores in r24: 120 - 60
Hawthorn after r24: 2369 - 1597

Hawthorn final%: 148.34

So it has to be more than 90, most likely. If we win by 100 and Geelong lose, that should do it, especially if we keep GC to a very low score.

We will most likely go into the finals as the number 2 ranked defensive team after Collingwood anyway, and I think that is huge for a side that has been viewed as having a suspect defence for the last few years.

Stratton to play and that night a new tourist attraction to be opened just down the road from the giant pineapple - the giant Stratton. It will be the 8th Wonder of the modern world based on the 7th wonder of the ancient world, the Colosus of Rhodes.

colossus.gif

The Colossus of Stratts, Gold Coast, Australia.

If Ellis pulls up OK after his hit out for BHH last weekend, he would be a pretty good chance to get a run this week up in QLD.

Out: Rioli, Bruce, Shiels
In: Mitchell, Stratton, Ellis

Reckon Shiels has looked a tiny bit weary the last couple of weeks, good opportunity to freshen him up perhaps.

All things going well (no injuries) Rioli & Shiels return for the QF... I don't envy the selectors as to who are the unlucky ones to miss!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back