Autopsy HB Returns, Dockers smashed v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite ball use won't cover up for a midfield that can't find space. We have one mid who can get clear, Brad Hill, and every opposition has covered him since the middle of the season.

Langdon can do it, Tucker will be able to do it eventually.

We kick up the line to protect the turnovers, if we are running well then we hit targets in the middle but it takes some nuts to pull the trigger on those kicks. Bennell hit the nearly stationary Fyfe with one. Walters looks for it, Johnson used to but he doesn't anymore.

Logue looks extra lost at times when the ball is peppering defence, I would have preferred he took the role of negating Rance's impact as a defensive forward but the amount of times Taberner had the paddock open up in front of him with a kick about to come in and went back to shove Rance instead of leading to the space would have meant we were two forwards down keeping Rance quiet.

Sean Darcy is working his guts out, he looks like he would get out bodied by a 60kg girlfriend rushing to the bathroom first. Not because he isn't strong, but because he has over worked his strength. He can stand and use his bulk but moving players aside has slipped out of his game. He will be so much better for his efforts this season, a strong preseason and he will be ready to win the rising star next year.

Fyfe is a gun. His efforts, and the scoreboard result, in the first quarter was all the first half of 2015 again. He keeps us in it.

If we could land a mature contested ball bull in the draft or free agency to pair up with him it would be great, we get smashed in the middle when he isn't rescuing us.

Mundy could do it but we are faced with the same result, if the ball isn't tapped where we are moving to then we get caught out of position and Neale's groin soreness is still there our players don't have the agility to counter. That isn't uncommon in the AFL, but I'd like to try a drill where the player on the other side of the circle is your opponent, not the one beside you to see if they can watch the tap and be moving to the contest or already breaking out if the ball is in hand. Hit outs to advantage are no good if the player was flat footed.

If we win the contested ball everything else is actually alright, not great, but alright. We could do with a contested mark forward and a bit more composure to hit the right spots when we have the chance.

Fast ball movement from defense dried up the last month and so has our scoring. The personnel is the same we are just not able to hit the free target in the middle anymore. Opposition identify that as our tactic and countered it, not such a big deal. We can outwork them with our power runners in the side which aren't there at the moment.

I was worried bout dagliesh and fisher but it was hosking who did all the damage. That 50 at the end which guaranteed a 100 point win summed it up. Guys a flog.

Well if the tigers lost there would have been 4 x non Melbourne teams in the top 4.
Baffling , it is not as if the tigers needed the help.

GWS are going to get crucified next week at the Cattery.

Doesn't matter really , the season was over a few weeks ago.

That game was a little like our season, some strength and confidence at the start before falling away to utter ruin.

We're not completely stuffed, we have a lot of genuinely exciting young talent. We also have a number of solid players currently out of the team due to injury.

But we're a coaching nightmare, with Hale it's a case of our youngsters - could all turn out to be guns or may never reach their potential. The bloke is only 33 and at the start of his coaching career so will be interesting to see if we persevere; it just seems odd that we went for blokes of his and Guerra's footy background, was it a case of attracting Hawthorn to become more like Hawthorn? If so it's the wrong mentality. As for Anthony Rock - I'm not in the coaching box and I'm sure their are other factors at play, but how can you constantly be responsible for abominable midfield performances when you've got the likes of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely, Walters, the Hill's etc at your mercy? I know there's more to it, but I'd tell you to get ****ed if we were getting the same performances under Kirky. So there needs to be massive internal coaching changes.

Plus Ross simply has to pull the trigger with some of our older players, Ballantyne and Johnson aren't a part of our next flag - and they're just holding everyone back by staying. Mundy probably isn't going to be either and as much as I love him he needs to go. Same goes for a number of others probably - Suban, Sutcliffe, Sheridan all need to go.

This isn't the 'loss we needed to have' - but it gives no illusions as to where we're at, which is in a ******* hard place. I hope Ross puts his hand to paper every single night for next 7-8 months and figure out how he's going to turn it around. He needs to go to Peru and take some good Ayuahuasca and learn how to change his stubbon ******* mindset.

Our entry I50 continues to be a problem. Goddamn it why not chip it around, look for the sideways movement.

There's no one working hard to open up a leading forward. No one blocking, fending each other. We also lack the forward pressure we were so famous for. Instead it just comes out their defensive 50 with ease.
We take too long, bomb it high and their spare defender allows to come in and spoil/mark.

We had way too many passes pitch in front of our lead up targets today. Taberner was on the lead a couple of times and we missed him and a couple also fell in front of McCarthy. It's inexcusable, but that's what happens when we chip it onto the lead instead of bloody drilling the thing through their chest (which would just bounce off too if you're one McCarthy on the lead).

For me that was very frustrating.

That and chipping it over players. Darcy was also in the clear a couple of times and we just missed him by miles.

Consecutive 100 point losses. Has this happened to us before? I wouldn't have thought so. This season has swung from acceptable due to rebuilding, to not acceptable.

The list still needs overhauling and we're doing that to our credit. But the coaching group seriously needs to be looked at because we constantly repeat the same mistakes

Just depressing how totally s**t we've become

Consecutive 100 point losses. Has this happened to us before? I wouldn't have thought so. This season has swung from acceptable due to rebuilding, to not acceptable.

The list still needs overhauling and we're doing that to our credit. But the coaching group seriously needs to be looked at because we constantly repeat the same mistakes

Just depressing how totally s**t we've become

Many factors.

Youngsters were always carried by our senior players. Our seniors are fatiguing and the youngsters are also fatiguing but can't pick up the slack, nor should they be expected to.

A fit Sandilands is still the most influential player in our team too.

What free agent or out of contract player would want to come to Freo after a performance like that? Ughhhh awful.

Thankfully there's only one more week!

I still firmly believe we will be better next season though

Uggh. Pretty dark day. At this point in the season, when you've been playing kids since Rnd 3...they're just cooked. And with that inexperience, their heads will drop like what happened this afternoon and at the SCG last week. Logue today sums this up for me. He goes really hard but has looked really out of his depth at times...and I like him. There's kinda an air of inevitability about this, the kids starting to crash out a bit. Ross (from memory) did caution against this at pressers during the more successful mid-season run, that we'd be exposed at times throughout the year taking this sort of rebuild approach.

A really sour note to say goodbye to Subi on. I've been going there forever, I'm sure many on here have too and for far longer than me. Would've preferred some more fight on my last visit. Also, Dusty is a monster, a machine, a freak.

As long as they learn from it.

I was worried bout dagliesh and fisher but it was hosking who did all the damage. That 50 at the end which guaranteed a 100 point win summed it up. Guys a flog.

How can you even notice an umpire when we play that s**t?

Lachie Weller. Over rated because of nice hair.
Ball burner with bad decisions. Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, he's taking the game on and trying things out. Will be one of our most important players in a few years

I must admit I don't watch many Richmond games but I had no idea who Jacob Townsend was until today...

Who was his opponent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a harsh lesson that we're basically now front-runners for the 2018 wooden spoon at the moment which is harsh and very reactionary and quite frankly I don't agree we're actually that bad but I can see the markets being formed as we speak.

My faith in Lyon has faltered, my faith in the kids we do have playing with pride has been obliterated. It's confusing because it almost appears that we have good core midfield and defensive spine to build around but yet equally when things go this bad in consecutive weeks it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and questions have to be raised.

Thanks for the hospitality Perth but I have to be on the red-eye to be at work in 9 hours (I have a person on stand-by in case of delays to cover my shift thankfully) and, pardon the tempered hostility owing to todays performance but...:If it's all the same I probably won't be in a rush to come back.

View attachment 406030

Ross blaming the age of the group........

That's pretty disengenuous. That can be explained away with the fact that most of the experience for Richmond is in their spine and key position players who have seen numerous pre seasons together whereas we have Cox, Taberner, Darcy, Hamling, Johnson and Fyfe. Johnsons best is beyond the sight of his rear-view mirror now, Taberner very well may end up joining it and you're left with Fyfe and the newbies.

It doesn't explain 100 points but it could account for half of it at this end of the season

View attachment 406030

Ross blaming the age of the group........
Johnno, Mundy and Suban doing A LOT of the damage on those stats and today's performance made them look like 50 gamers, not 150-200. If we aren't getting the output out of most/all of our experience with that profile we won't be competitive and we weren't. We can't afford to carry 4-5 experienced players when we are already carrying 11 <50 gamers.

Because slow Mundy and weak Sutcliffe spent most of their game-time in there. That's all you really need to know.
If Mundy goes on in 2018 he must be played forward 90% of the time his midfield days are over. As for Sutcliffe 2018 will be a year of Peel,and more Peel. As for Johnno been great servant of Club but he'll be 33 in 2018 and of late going to ground too easily. Needs to retire. Really is Suban going to be in our next big push in 2019/20. No way so cut him loose now along with D. Pearce, Ibbo, griffin, dawson & Sheridan

Last edited:
If Mundy goes on in 2018 he must be played forward 90% of the time his midfield days are over. As for Sutcliffe 2018 will be a year of Peel,and more Peel. As for Johnno been great servant of Club but he'll be 33 in 2018 and of late going to ground too easily. Needs to retire.
It's really sad for me because both Johnno and Mundy were still good+ early in the season. I am not sure if it is fatigue or just their bodies getting old but they look shadows of themselves :(

If either play on next year we can't flog them by playing them every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back