Hit by a Black & Red Steamroller

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
First it was Sydney, then Richmond, now it's Hawthorn's turn.

Going along nicely, playing well, fancy their chances against Essendon....then BANG !

Absolutely polaxed by the Red & Black juggernaut.

Not just a loss, not just a bad loss either, but the kind of mauling that really harms a teams spirit and takes the rest of the season to fully get over.

Sydney were going along nicely untill they played Essendon. 5 rounds later and we are still trying to get over it.

Same for Richmond, their season is starting to unravel pretty badly after that 3-33 first quarter three weeks ago.

And now Hawthorn - will they be able to put this behind them ? Or do the scars run much deeper than that ?

cheers

Richmond ? Sydney ?

Ths is Hawthorn you're talking about.

If you are looking for a form indicator, see whether Hay returns and is fit. The Hawk's rebounding gameplan needs either Hay or Rawlings repelling attacks (preferably both). Port are quick movers of the ball so it will be vital.

and PS Mike shehan - Darren Bewick has actually retired, why bothe quoting that the Bombers were missing him - why not say the Hawks were without Salmon ?

But to risk stating the bleeding obvous, The Bombers are as good, if not better than last year. But when the effective challenge comes, Make no mistake, It will be Hawthorn.

I hope you're right BSA, seeing Port play Hawthorn next week, but this 'monstered by Essendon' thing is just a beat-up - no pun intended!

Port got flogged by Essendon (the final score flattered Port), but the next week Port annihilated the Crows and went on to win 5 in a row.

It should be an intriguing battle between Hawthorn and Port - both sides without key players (Hawthorn more so). Hawthorn can see off the doomsayers with a win under those circumstances, while Port would be able to refute the 'no Primus, no Port' and 'can't win in Melbourne' jibes.

I can wait, dan. Please remember the ladder is ordered on how many games you win, not ho many you lose to essendon by. We are still capable of finishing the season with only one loss. Which would be the equal of Essendon.

And I now accuse you of having a dollar each way on friday. Your post (I can't find it now) listed all your injuries and you said you thought essendon should be the underdog (seems like even you got sucked in by the Hird 'flu in the buttock ruse. If there was a loss, you would hace cited injuries. with a win, you say that you won with all the stars out.

It would still have been 60-odd points if you had all those players in, by the way. If hawks had had a full side then closer to 4 goal win.

But it is inevitable that you will get caught, and when that happens, I want that team to be Hawthorn. (Port and Collingwood are two others that can go the distance. On evidence so far this season, I think it could be.
We just need to beat port and brisbane to prove that.

Why Pessimistic ?

Because they made us play at a stadium which was too small, and were cynical enough to flash up 50,000 crowd - 55,000 tickets sold on the screen

They had a screen which is harder to see than the play itself.

The competition is swimming in money but clubs are going under.

I'm optimistic about Hawthorn even thoug the AFL would like him go the same way as Gutnick.

Thanks for replying GD

Port got 'steamrolled' in Round 1 last season.

Circumstances were the same - Port was confident, playing well, had a full list and a good game plan going into that one.

It didn't go according to plan and you wilted under the remorseless Essendon pressure to lose by 94 ponts.

It took you the rest of the season to get over that one.

The reason you managed to bounce back this year is becuase you were ready for it (getting whacked by S-Essendon that is), and when it happened, you were mentally prepared to come back after the bad loss.

cheers

Port's problem last year was that they did a crap pre-season. The round one flogging certainly didn't help things, but they'd been caught napping well before that day. The signs were showing during the Ansett Cup and practice matches.

This year, the main reason for Port's improvement has been their advanced fitness level - which gives players the confidence they need to perform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back