List Mgmt. How to Use JHF in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The young Craig Bradley and the young Nathan Buckley both played as outside players whilst in their teens at Port. JHF has already shown some capacity to be a clearance player at AFL level but now that he is at a stronger club, the question is do we protect him by playing him mostly outside to ensure his longevity?

I think Judd played mostly inside from the start. I think Dusty played mainly forward/outside. It has taken Rozee and Butters 4-5 years to be ready to play mostly inside.

Do we protect our investment or is this a plug and play option?

Stick him in the guts.

Wines & Rozee in there with him will allow him to take a defensively minded role which from day 1 he should be able to do better than Drew. He can from there use his elite pace and skills to hurt the opposition going the other way.

He doesn't need to be a 20+ per game disposal guy up front. Just fight hard in the contest, use his pace on the outside and be a defensive beast.

I want to take you on a journey though....

Imagine in 3 years time, you pop Wines, L Jones and JHF in the centre square together.

L Jones and JHF are 2 of the most powerful and quick bulls we've ever had. I honestly feel like the thought of them just pulverising other midfields is exciting as hell. Whether L Jones can become a midfielder is the question, but sheesh it would be super fun to let these 2 loose in there.

Last edited:
Don't really know if we need a separate thread just for this. He'll most likely split between HF and maybe 25% on ball this year.
Long term vision is obviously a pure on baller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to get him to 60/70 games as quickly as possible. Barring injury he should play nearly every game to fast track his development.

As another poster said a 60/40 mid/forward flank split would work for me. He's a natural midfielder, so get as many midfield minutes into him as possible. Having Rozee, Wines, Butters, Boak all next to him will help him no end.

If there are 25 centre stoppages a game, we should have:
Wines - 20
Rozee - 20
Boak - 10
JHF - 10
Butters - 10
Misc - 5 (Maybe Pep as the burst mid?)

I have Bergman, Duursma, Butters, Houston & JHF rotating through the wings, HFF & HBF for our best side.

He's a kid. Just match him up on players at a similar stage of their development and he gets a bit of time in the middle when the sting is out of the game.

Gets thrown in at the deep end against top end mids with 4-5 preseasons under their belt it won't end well.

Get 50 games behind him without that expectation he's got to carry the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back