List Mgmt. How to Use JHF in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Center bounce rotation of the 3 on-ballers.

At stoppage he can rotate between on ball, or either out the front of the stoppage to attack (rotate this role with Butters) or out the back to defend (rotate this role with Drew).

He can easily do all of those roles to a high level in the future as his tackling and pressure is strong.

Probably better players to put on a wing or fully outside at stoppage (Faz, Duursma, Houston).

First of all, need to maximise his midfield time, and play him as small forward only when resting.

Second, don’t think it’s necessarily the end of Drew. Dusty is much more effective as a mid when there’s somebody like Prestia as the in-and-under, while Dusty is more to take the ball away from stoppages and use it more effectively. Drew could still be useful in the Prestia role.

Second, don’t think it’s necessarily the end of Drew. Dusty is much more effective as a mid when there’s somebody like Prestia as the in-and-under, while Dusty is more to take the ball away from stoppages and use it more effectively. Drew could still be useful in the Prestia role.
We do have a bloke named Ollie Wines who plays that role, you may have heard of him, I think he won some sort of award last year.

Midfield, play him On the best, he wants to be the best. Let his competitive spirit fly. Allows Rozee to free wheel also.

2023 is the year we want to see our midfield transition and evolve, no point taking it easy on him.

Eventually, he needs to play in the Weapon role.

Guys like Dangerfield, Martin et al play this role - it's basically 'Do whatever the * you think is best for the team'. Where he can make the maximum impact. My concern with Horne-Francis playing full time mid next year is that he won't have established the tank yet playing for a side like North to actually run out games, which is why I'd be starting him at deep forward and then pushing him into the midfield half way through quarters to exploit the secondary rotation of other teams.

The reason I'm playing him at deep forward instead of starting mid is simple - he's got no idea about our structures, running patterns etc. If he was coming from an elite setup like Richmond or Geelong you could play him in the guts straight away, because he'd have a foundation to work off, but North Melbourne isn't exactly what I would call an elite program. Deep forward is the most creative and easiest spot to play in the side - you just need to be a good one on one mark (which Horne-Francis is), be able to put on defensive pressure (which Horne-Francis does) and have decent pace and power (which Horne-Francis has).

Most of the time high draft picks play in the role they are suited to because they are in a bottom four team and as such, no one gives a * if the team struggles while they are learning the ropes. That's not the case here.

Has to play mid most of the time with rests in the forward line. Send him to the US with Trav. Lets get him ripped and fit

Has to play mid most of the time with rests in the forward line. Send him to the US with Trav. Lets get him ripped and fit
Wouldn't it be great if he has the initiative to approach Travis and see if he could come. He wants to be the best, train like the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't it be great if he has the initiative to approach Travis and see if he could come. He wants to be the best, train like the best.
It would and I’d love to see that, but he is a 19 year old coming into a new environment.

I’d hope someone like Trav and the other senior players approach’s JHF and make it know that they’d like him come with them and that he’s made to feel welcome at the club from day 1.

Perhaps there wasn’t enough of that at Norf.

If the kid is as good as most of us seem to think we should maximise his time in the midfield. We ****ed about with Rozee and Butters on the edges for a couple of seasons but let's try this kid in the middle from the start. If it doesn't work out we can move him but let's give him an extended shot at it.

I gather from this discussion we won't be using him in an ice bath ;)

David King’s “cut and run” allegation misses the mark. When are the rest of the AFL going to catch up with the reality that the lure of the Port family is real and strong? Wanganeen, Bond, Motlop, Motlop, Lyle, Ebert, Pickett, Lycett, Williams, and now Francis- all Port people drafted to other clubs who came back to Port at the first real opportunity.

I’m sure we could add another half a dozen Port people to that list.

The ignorant eastern and western staters, think that the pull to play for Port is the same as the pull to play for the Cows. They don’t understand that our culture is such, that once you are part of the Port family, you are always and that is a lure of much greater magnitude than the lure of playing in your home state alone.

The Cut and Run comments are insulting rubbish- JHF had 17 clubs to cut and run to. He had one club where his family had history. A club that puts its arms around its own. Guess which club he ended up at?

Pickett and Wanganeen-Milera next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back