Hughes and Banfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why do these guys get games 11 and 4 possessions to half time. Half their possessions are turnovers. Pose no threat to the opposition.

We handed Acres over to Carlton for almost nothing while he was our best winger in 22. Hughes is learing how to play wing and looks confused as he isn't a natural footballer. Henry dropped because he isn't up to it.

Banfield looks ok when Freo are winning and he kicks a few cheap goals off the end of our dominance. When the team is doing it tough he's non existent.

I understand other players are underperforming however JOM has talent and Brayshaw is playing injured.

Surely Wilson for Hughes to actually football and push a better player than Hughes to the wing. Can't we find a better half forward than 4 touch turnover Banfield? Young looks 10000× better kicking to the forwards.

It’s nothing personal against either player but they were both so poor today.
Cannot understand how the coaches looked at Hughes down at peel last year and thought “this guy could play AFL as a winger for a finals side”
WTF were they thinking?
Hughes had about 8 touches on a wing last year in a WAFL final for peel. That’s how far off the pace he is.
He slows the ball up so much in possession and after about 5 seconds looking around him, inevitably bombs to a contest (which we usually lose). It happened a few times today, most alarmingly deep inside our D50 when the ball ends up back with the opposition 70 m out from our goal after the turnover.

As for Banfield, I just give up. I can’t fathom what they see in him.
There isn’t another team in the AFL he would get a game for in the forward line. Not a single one, I defy anyone to convince me otherwise.

Now finals are gone, surely these guys get sent to peel and we try build something for next season?

Hughs with posession on the back line scares the shite out of me.
He stifles play.
So does Alex Pearce.
Hughs though hardly gets near it all game.
What is his actual position???

Why did Freo let Blake Acres go? They could have kept him for a small increase in pay. I don't understand it. He is racking up possessions for Carltank?

Why did Freo let Blake Acres go? They could have kept him for a small increase in pay. I don't understand it. He is racking up possessions for Carltank?

Apparently he's a spud

He was our best winger last season

We pay Fyfe 1.2 million a year not to play but to be part of the club so we can't afford Acres so we have Hughes playing instead who actually is no good. We have zero wings and it's embarrassing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was dreading this as soon as he announced he was leaving..
His work on the wing last year was brilliant for much of the season ..

Their bigger picture. :)
Not sure. O'Driscoll and someone. We are looking for room to put some of our your talent in. Johnson, Erasmus have to play.

Yeah O'Driscoll injured himself and hasn't been able to reach the required fitness. Johnson isn't playing wing and the others like Henry aren't capable

Yeah O'Driscoll injured himself and hasn't been able to reach the required fitness. Johnson isn't playing wing and the others like Henry aren't capable
The point is our talented young players are going to have to find a spot in the team. Who ends up where, time will tell. NOD being injured early this year is irrelevant, long-term he will fill one of the wings. Acres would have been our best option now but maybe not long-term. We would have had to commit for 3 years and they seemed to think we would have better options by then and he would be surplus to needs. We'll see.

We will probably find some players like Brayshaw and Johnson will rotate inside mid/wing. Something like that to allow all the best players to find a place in the team. Erasmus is going to be mid/forward.

Hughs with posession on the back line scares the shite out of me.
He stifles play.
So does Alex Pearce.
Hughs though hardly gets near it all game.
What is his actual position???
Alex Pearce is getting bagged out to a degree and rightfully so.

But at least he is a solid field kick

Great, grab another player with norths 2nd round pick to clog the list like he is doing at gold coast.
Given he's not getting a game for Gold Coast right now, I'd hope we wouldn't have to pay any more than Gold Coast's 10th round selection. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back