Review RD 12 Review - Bailey ‘GOAT’ Banfield Leads Freo to the Win

Remove this Banner Ad

So is Banfield part of our future or not ?
Plenty of posters (including myself) said move him aside and play the kids yet he has responded with aplomb.
The difference between his GC and Pies games was polar .
Which Banners do we trust .

The fact that we don’t have much forward depth of his body size keeps him in the team .
Sturt not impressing has probably been beneficial to Banfield as well .
JLOs strength is bringing the best out of players. We should give him every chance to succeed. What I loved about his goals were that they weren't cheap or easy but he had some incredible crumbling goals on the run. I hope that his confidence is sky high so that he can bring out the party tricks against the Hawks.

He was literally singled out in the AFL Website's '6 Things We Learned' article yesterday arvo.

'Best hands in the comp'

He fired out a lightning handball in the last quarter on the counter attack that I’ve never seen before. He knew where the player was out on the wing before he had the ball and soon as he received the ball he pumped out to the wing and the player (can’t remember who - might have been Colyer) didn’t have to break stride. Was a thing of beauty.

Since Bailey is the headline act of this thread.

My highlight was his extraordinary 4th goal that was none other than the extremely difficult ‘Chanana’ kick, deliberately performed no doubt to shut down all his doubters on his skill level.

Unfortunately the below footage only shows it from side on, but I’ve seen footage from behind & it is definitely a high class, high difficulty ’Chanana’

Take a bow Bailey.

Since Bailey is the headline act of this thread.

My highlight was his extraordinary 4th goal that was none other than the extremely difficult ‘Chanana’ kick, deliberately performed no doubt to shut down all his doubters on his skill level.

Unfortunately the below footage only shows it from side on, but I’ve seen footage from behind & it is definitely a high class, high difficulty ’Chanana’

Take a bow Bailey.

Ripper goal

Can you please define a “ Chanana “ goal
I think I get the Nana bit

He fired out a lightning handball in the last quarter on the counter attack that I’ve never seen before. He knew where the player was out on the wing before he had the ball and soon as he received the ball he pumped out to the wing and the player (can’t remember who - might have been Colyer) didn’t have to break stride. Was a thing of beauty.
Serongs hands are elite but I would say Brodie is not far behind

The way Freo handball their way out of the contest is indeed a thing of beauty

Even the big guy Darcy was getting some quick, clean hands out

Mundys influence on these young guys can not be over stated
He is the master of clean extraction and he has taught his young charges well .

Ripper goal

Can you please define a “ Chanana “ goal
I think I get the Nana bit
A Chanana is a snap (or banana like action) that moves both ways in the air. For example Baileys kick began turning to the right off the boot & about 3/4’s through its flight straightened & then began to turn left, straight through the big sticks.

A Chanana is a snap (or banana like action) that moves both ways in the air. For example Baileys kick began turning to the right off the boot & about 3/4’s through its flight straightened & then began to turn left, straight through the big sticks.
Nice 👍
So for his particular action could we call it a “ Banfana?”

It seems to me that Caleb Serong is getting lost with all the love going around for Brayshaw and Brodie.
Don't get me wrong, both have been very very good. But Serong has been in superb touch for some time now.
It is hard to find praise from any of the media outlets and even so from our supporters.
Have we forgotten just how good he has been since we recruited him?
He has silky smooth hands, is always at he in and under. Makes many many plays from winning clearances, contested possessions around the ground.
He is always one of the first to fly the flag when there is a blue.
He is as vital a player as Brayshaw and Brodie.
I just love the way the kid plays the game.

He was clearly the best first year player 2020. His 2021 backed up, including a BOG in our first derby win in 5 years.

This year he started the season Luke warm, against Adelaide was average (injury interrupted). His form patchy, Noah Anderson obliterated him head to head and I felt like he lowered his colours to Taylor Adams.

He’s bounced back the last two weeks though, the slick hands and fast link up play is back. His touch is gold again. Onwards and upwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its only Tuesday and I want the week to be over already.

At home in front of a packed crowd with Fyfe back in for us. If we get this done in a bit of rain, the lid is well and truly off!

When I say "us" and "we", I'll be playing my part on the couch, ensconced in Freo juju, out of shape with some salted confections and beers.

Last edited:
General Comment for random kid Billy by PeopleEater.

‘Yeah this kids a drop kick. His body odour is questionable and he’s dumb as. He says he takes after his dad with smarts and mum with hygiene. Last week when I asked him to use a ruler he replied ‘King or Queen sir’. At recess he likes to head down to the year 1s and take ‘screamers’ on their heads. I’ve told him to leave his own ball at home… but it’s the only way he gets a kick. With some applied effort and a general 180degree turn in everything he does, he may just do enough to enter high school as not the dumbest child’

Something like that PeopleEater?
Haha looking at this I'd say you've drafted quite a few of these in your time only to hit the delete button to run with a more conservative assessment that ensures your workplace continuity

He may have bled purple and tried his guts out. But he was emblematic of a period where mediocrity was acceptable. Poor skills and never averaged more than 18 possessions a game for a season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Weird thing to knock him on. He played almost his entire career in a low possession era. 17.5 touches a game put you in the top 75 players in the comp for average possession pretty much his entire span. 2006 was the first year you need to average 19 or better to crack the top 100 possession getters.

Shows you how recently the comp reached the final phase of evolution in being fully professional really.

Whilst we are a great hand balling team and use it well to get out of tricky situations - plan B in the wet has to adjust this

This week we need to win in the wet to get this monkey off our back before the break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the post match interview, Darcy Cameron, after Collingwood winning, said that the players weren’t fussed with winning the ball, just wanted to win territory and get it forward as quick as possible. Chaos ball in a way. Worked so effectively because in the wet, skill goes out the window. Fremantle overused the ball so much that it hardly resulted in metres gained. Something that the players should be looking at

At home in front of a packed crowd with Fyfe back in for us. If we get this done in a bit of rain, the lid is well and truly off!

When I say "us" and "we", I'll be playing my part on the couch, ensconced in Freo juju, out of shape with some salted confections and beers.
Don’t undersell yourself. Know your role, play your role.😎

I hate to tell you this but the lid went missing at the final siren on Sunday. We are now equal second favourites for the flag and Jetstar flights for grand final weekend are over $1200 return

I'd call it a snap personally... IMO it's a strict definition haha, outside of the foot curling away = banana, inside of the foot curling in = snap.

I hate to tell you this but the lid went missing at the final siren on Sunday. We are now equal second favourites for the flag and Jetstar flights for grand final weekend are over $1200 return
Need to learn to win in the rain but yes the lid is off!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back