Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

I remember thinking in the 2020 draft that North would be dumb to not take MacDonald with the expectation that if we didn’t take him we would take Hollands as heavily linked or trade out with Hawks who at the time were also linked to MacDonald. North stuck with the pick and took Phillips. Seemed strange at the time and out of left field. Especially if we could have traded back and very likely still landed Phillips.

Curious if there is any risk of this draft being blown up the way that one was

I remember thinking in the 2020 draft that North would be dumb to not take MacDonald with the expectation that if we didn’t take him we would take Hollands as heavily linked or trade out with Hawks who at the time were also linked to MacDonald. North stuck with the pick and took Phillips. Seemed strange at the time and out of left field. Especially if we could have traded back and very likely still landed Phillips.

Curious if there is any risk of this draft being blown up the way that one was
I still think we take watto in this draft

Imo second most talented player in the draft behind Reid and fills a need

Curtin I think we also take if we don’t trade up for harley

Despite many having Colby in that top range think he could go to hawks at 4

I really love Curtins game. Would absolutely take him at 2 or 3. Very composed with ball in hand. Good size and frame. I think elite kick. Great leader.
I personally have Mckertcher as safest bet in the draft. Super fast, already has AFL endurance, good decision maker aswell.
I understand the love for Watto though. Will be a cult hero.

Your trade proposal values Melbourne's F1 at 39 for a three-pick upgrade
Counterpoint, your proposal has North giving up more value (points wise) to Melbourne to help them move up the draft.

Screenshot_20231023_080846_Chrome.jpg

In a draft where the Dees and Dogs have already shown that you need to pay overs to move up, I don't see any reason why North would give a huge discount just to help Melbourne get pick 3.

I am informed, with questionable reliability, that the previous thread covered the following ground:
  • West Coast are not a motivated seller and would need to get a stupidly insane offer, supported by quotes from West Coast's list manager, Rohan O'Brien.
  • Harley Reid is (hopefully?) a flight risk and West Coast should be a motivated seller willing to take a reasonable offer.
Two main trade hypotheticals have been raised, involving either picks 2&3, or picks 2&15.

VOTE in the poll if you have a particular preference for either, or some variation thereof.

These two points have apparently yet to be fully unpacked:
  • New CBA means he will get a 3 year deal, West Coast have lots of time to help him put down roots in Perth
  • West Coast can draft him, keep him for a year and sell him for a better price than that currently suggested (or wait another year and try again)

Its been done to death in the other thread.

But Im sure lots of North posters will flock to the poll to vote in an effort to convince themselves and everyone else its "fair" to land pick 1 and Harley Reid for a fair but under the market. The value set by West Coast.

27 sleeps to go.

Counterpoint, your proposal has North giving up more value (points wise) to Melbourne to help them move up the draft.

View attachment 1838603

In a draft where the Dees and Dogs have already shown that you need to pay overs to move up, I don't see any reason why North would give a huge discount just to help Melbourne get pick 3.
Now add 42 and 57...

Then stop spending so much time here and go run and hide to the WC board. You won’t have anyone challenge you in that fish bowl.

It's a thread about a pick that my club currently holds. Im not in a thread about Norths picks telling their supporters (who likely sit through every game plus a significant amount of ressies) what's best for their list

I mean that would be, at best, extremely arrogant and probably borderline psychotic of me

But you go on

Watto and Curtin is a huge risk

You could be using picks 2 and 3 on a forward pocket and 3rd tall. Understand your needs but I feel like you’d be better off targeting those 2 positions later in the draft

View attachment 1838603

Help Melbourne get pick 3? Do Melbourne even want pick 3?

Melbourne paid overs because they only have 2 lists spots so trade picks they won’t use and stated the players they want most likely won’t be there at pick 14 (so won’t be there at pick 15 either).

I don’t think North should be relying on Melbournes picks to get Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, guess there haven't been a lot of similar kids the last 20 years inside the top 30, considering WCE have picked 1.4x more interstaters.
The fact you still struggle to understand/accept that clubs approach to drafting interstate has changed slightly in the last 20 years, specifically the last 5 years, is quite amazing to me. The Jason McCartney interview last year was excellent insight for all supporters.

There are always exceptions, but pointing to recruiting 20, 15 and even 10 years ago is pretty irrelevant for 2023 IMO.

We’ve established that you’ll just believe what you want to believe though, “we drafted Gaff so we will draft Reid”.

Its been done to death in the other thread.

But Im sure lots of North posters will flock to the poll to vote in an effort to convince themselves and everyone else its "fair" to land pick 1 and Harley Reid for a fair but under the market. The value set by West Coast.

27 sleeps to go.
The poll forces people to put their name to it, and shows us whether the loudest posters are a minority. Previous thread hit 10k posts and needed a rollover and a reset, so here we are.

The fact you still struggle to understand/accept that clubs approach to drafting interstate has changed slightly in the last 20 years, specifically the last 5 years, is quite amazing to me. The Jason McCartney interview last year was excellent insight for all supporters.

There are always exceptions, but pointing to recruiting 20, 15 and even 10 years ago is pretty irrelevant for 2023 IMO.

We’ve established that you’ll just believe what you want to believe though, “we drafted Gaff so we will draft Reid”.
I'm not talking about 20 years ago.

Go and look at Lore's sheet and trying using your brain.

I'm not talking about 20 years ago.

Go and look at Lore's sheet and trying using your brain.
Psicosis' first two lines are correct. Unfortunately he's let himself down with that last line. West Coast's first pick won't be from WA, whether that winds up being Reid or McKercher.

Psicosis' first two lines are correct. Unfortunately he's let himself down with that last line. West Coast's first pick won't be from WA, whether that winds up being Reid or McKercher.
He's also seemingly forgotten that within the past 5 years, there was an event that affected the entire world; people were confined indoors and couldn't travel, sporting clubs couldn't train/play, etc.

Anyone remember that? I wonder if it had a massive affect on teams and their drafting due to the kids at that time missing multiple developmental years? :think:

Where have you pulled 42 from? This is the initial proposal and response I'm referring to.

View attachment 1838743

Regardless, late round picks in a shallow draft aren't going to help Melbourne move up to 3.
Fair enough. My point to that post is there is no reason for Melbourne to give North an extra first rounder. 6 & 11 for 3 & 15, with some pick swaps, is a fair deal on its own.

Help Melbourne get pick 3? Do Melbourne even want pick 3?

Melbourne paid overs because they only have 2 lists spots so trade picks they won’t use and stated the players they want most likely won’t be there at pick 14 (so won’t be there at pick 15 either).

I don’t think North should be relying on Melbournes picks to get Reid.
I don't think North should be relying on Melbourne either, but the idea that North will trade pick 3 for unders to Melbourne just to appease WC in a trade for Reid is madness.

Best case is just take 2, 3, 15, 17, 18 to the draft and pick up a ton of young talent anyway.

It's a thread about a pick that my club currently holds. Im not in a thread about Norths picks telling their supporters (who likely sit through every game plus a significant amount of ressies) what's best for their list

I mean that would be, at best, extremely arrogant and probably borderline psychotic of me

But you go on
bzparkes is the 2nd highest poster in the North Melbourne list thread.

I think he just called you extremely arrogant and borderline psychotic, old bean.

Fair enough. My point to that post is there is no reason for Melbourne to give North an extra first rounder. 6 & 11 for 3 & 15, with some pick swaps, is a fair deal on its own.
Yeah, happy to agree to disagree tbh. It seems that general consensus in here is picks 2-9 are even, but I strongly disagree. McKercher is clear at #2 after Reid/Walter are 1A/1B.

Pick 3 gets whoever has it first choice from that 2nd tier of Curtin, Watson, Duursma, Sanders etc. Personally i think downgrading from 3 to 6 should net us much more that a 4 pick upgrade from 15 to 11.

bzparkes is the 2nd highest poster in the North Melbourne list thread.

I think he just called you extremely arrogant and borderline psychotic, old bean.
Can't even remember posting anything in that thread, such is my lack of care for it(I'm 3rd, BTW).

There's a bunch of posters around the same amount.

Conversely, Keystone agony has more than twice the amount of posts in the WCE thread than anyone else.

What's your point exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back