Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

Lachie Weller is proof that expansion clubs will do anything and I mean anything to get a good local to the club

McKercher if he comes on will be that perfect combination of GAJ and Lachie Weller for a club like Tasmania
Well I don't buy it with McKercher. I think he is no more likely to go back than Tarryn Thomas. We shall see in a few weeks how concerned the clubs are about this. My guess is not at all.

Yes, yes, North need to pick up at least two, and preferably three talls this draft. This all means it is unlikely we will significantly increase our offer for Harley, as we'll need those late first round picks to fill the obvious holes in our list. The current offer seems a good one, especially for us, I think West Coast may be forced to either take it or Harley. I think they'll take Harley, but we'll have to wait and see.
OR you up your offer to pick 2 and 3, keeping your later picks to grab tall players

Realistically, can North actually miss out on Reid from a financial perspective?

I think its why the talk is so strong. North cant afford the membership money losses that come from Reid playing over West

If we are smart and approach this as a monetary transaction then Reid for McKercher and Curtin has to be the deal. Nothing more or less

There's been many long bows in this thread, this may be the longest though...

In relation to pick 1 yes it is shrapnel. When comparing to most clubs draft hands its amazing. Does this help you a bit?
The way oppo fans carried on you would have thought we received three pick 1s. Or at least one pick 1 like so many other clubs have received. So much hypocrisy surrounding those conversations, but I guess that's expected.

The big question for me is what compo does the club get who has mckercher? The compo clubs got when the elite youngsters left their clubs for GWS was the equivalent of band 1 (a pick straight after their first, except for geelong who for unknoen reasons got far more). If the club is planning for finals by the time tassie joins the league, the return might be pick 30+ after all the tassie bonus picks and compos and free agents.

It might make WC think twice about trading pick 1 if that is their future.

Melbourne received much much more than that. They received Band 1 and Pick 11. Both of which were valid for 4 years at their choosing.

"The Demons will receive the top line of compensation, which means a first-round selection and a mid-first round pick.

The AFL said the Demons were given more compensation than Adelaide or the Bulldogs because of the "significant differential" in Scully's massive contract compared to those offered to Ward and Davis by GWS.

Scully, 20, is set to earn a reported $6 million over six years at GWS.

"It was therefore determined that the compensation package for Melbourne should be in the highest band," the AFL said in a statement.

Melbourne's first-round selections can be activated in any of the 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 Draft Selection Meetings.

You could activate your Pick 11 immediately and then wait to activate your Band 1 compo when you have a poor year as an example.

Melbourne received much much more than that. They received Band 1 and Pick 11. Both of which were valid for 4 years at their choosing.

You could activate your Pick 11 immediately and then wait to activate your Band 1 compo when you have a poor year as an example.
Wow yeah I had completely forgotten about the pick 11 bonus for Scully (and GAJ). It just goes to show how biased the AFL is that the greatest contract in AFL history didn't receive that same compo (Franklin). Standard AFL corruption (because the rules had slightly changed apparently, except not really).

It is entirely possible that McKercher and his agent agree in principle to sign a contract extension should we pick him. West Coast trading down for him could be contingent on such an agreement.

Why would they shut the door when there's every possibility that Rawlings could get Reid FOMO and do something stupid?

That's the only thing they're waiting for, otherwise they'll just keep pick 1, as O'Brien's said numerous times is the most likely outcome.
As said multiple times to come out 3 weeks before the draft and say...der...er...we don't want anything....ever...would be really fn stupid, almost as stupid as thinking we should just take lots and lots of players as fast as we can.
2&3 or Harley😂
I highly doubt Rawlings will offer anything close to 2 + 3 or F1.

Its really weird that Eagles fans think a professional list manager will panic and wildly overpay for pick 1. Living in fantasy land tbh.

Far more likely that we drop 23 coming back from the previous offer, anything more and its better to just walk away.

The way oppo fans carried on you would have thought we received three pick 1s. Or at least one pick 1 like so many other clubs have received. So much hypocrisy surrounding those conversations, but I guess that's expected.
You received p3 (for playing the system - you weren't the fist club to do so, but you received the biggest pay out)
You received a 2023 p21 & p40 last year
You received a 2023 p19
You received a 2024 p19 & p20
So... P3, p19, p19, p20, p21, p40 - All for failing as a footy club.

Make BETTER Decisions - why should the rest of us pay for your mistakes

Its really weird that Eagles fans think a professional list manager will panic and wildly overpay for pick 1. Living in fantasy land tbh.

Far more likely that we drop 23 coming back from the previous offer, anything more and its better to just walk away.
It's a carrot that's been dangled for Rawlings, just depends how much he wants it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow yeah I had completely forgotten about the pick 11 bonus for Scully (and GAJ). It just goes to show how biased the AFL is that the greatest contract in AFL history didn't receive that same compo (Franklin). Standard AFL corruption (because the rules had slightly changed apparently, except not really).
You seem to have forgot about Franklin too. That wasn't evidence of bias, the AFL just applied the rules. The rules which also allow a team to match a contract and trade a player if they aren't happy with the compensation. Hawthorn made the decision not to match, so have absolutely nothing to sook about. Hawthorn went on to win the next three flags, showing greater compensation was unnecessary, but still you go on about this imaginary injustice.

Ah sure, I bet you did mate. Either way, it's super lazy analysis. There's multiple avenues to pick up players outside of the ND, including the MSD, DFA and trading, all of which have been used to address KPPs in recent years.

Regardless North need KPPs that's for sure, but to indicate that WCE are in a less dire spot than North is pretty one-eyed. If they were, there wouldn't be such a push to sell pick 1 for multiple picks IMO.

Lol North and the MSD do not go hand in hand.

Its really weird or just stupid that a Nth fan thinks a professional list manager will panic and wildly close the door 3 weeks out front he draft by saying...that's it don't offer better brady because we aren't trading!!

You seem to have forgot about Franklin too. That wasn't evidence of bias, the AFL just applied the rules. The rules which also allow a team to match a contract and trade a player if they aren't happy with the compensation. Hawthorn made the decision not to match, so have absolutely nothing to sook about. Hawthorn went on to win the next three flags, showing greater compensation was unnecessary, but still you go on about this imaginary injustice.
We are moving well beyond the scope of the topic, but the fact that the AFL could arbitrarily increase the compensation beyond the standard band 1 (not called that at the time) for Scully but not for Franklin is pretty clear bias. The rules arent meant to change based on what is "necessary" in hindsight.

It is interesting in terms of concerns about future compensation with respect to players and how that might shape their draft value today though. If you aren't a club that is favoured by the AFL, you should be worried about making a trade that results in you having a player who you might get substandard compo for in a few years.

Nth fans SO heavily invested in wanting pic 1, stalking every thread that has the slightest thing to do with WC's pic.
The continual, "we don't want it, we won't offer more, we have the most pics ever, keep your pic, Reid's not worth it, blah blah, blah".... getting beyond ridiculous and extremely cringeworthy.
Very few North supporters want us to trade up for it. It's more a matter of us being concerned that the club might do something stupid.

Its really weird or just stupid that a Nth fan thinks a professional list manager will panic and wildly close the door 3 weeks out front he draft by saying...that's it don't offer better brady because we aren't trading!!
What are you talking about? I never said that O'Brien SHOULD do that. I said that WCE are obviously open to trading the pick, because they haven't come out and said they won't trade pick 1. Bloody hell it's just about impossible to have a half sensible conversation on here.

We are moving well beyond the scope of the topic, but the fact that the AFL could arbitrarily increase the compensation beyond the standard band 1 (not called that at the time) for Scully but not for Franklin is pretty clear bias. The rules arent meant to change based on what is "necessary" in hindsight.

It is interesting in terms of concerns about future compensation with respect to players and how that might shape their draft value today though. If you aren't a club that is favoured by the AFL, you should be worried about making a trade that results in you having a player who you might get substandard compo for in a few years.
Scully didn't move as a free agent. Franklin did. They are totally different situations.

You received p3 (for playing the system - you weren't the fist club to do so, but you received the biggest pay out)
You received a 2023 p21 & p40 last year
You received a 2023 p19
You received a 2024 p19 & p20
So... P3, p19, p19, p20, p21, p40 - All for failing as a footy club.

Make BETTER Decisions - why should the rest of us pay for your mistakes
Geez I'm surprised you didn't use us receiving pick 2 for our ladder position with how much spin you put in that reply.

I forget we're the only club to have received draft compensation, and even if other clubs may have received a few pick 1s as compo, it wasn't their fault they were bad.

There is a very real possibility that North offer pick 2 + F1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back