If You Were Melbourne …. What Red Flags For Bennell ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Melbourne made the bold decision to acquire Harley Bennell even though he has had dramatic misfires at GC & Freo beforehand. There is no doubt he has some talent but his off-field dramas & poor attitude have held him back from really progressing in the AFL. It would also be fair to say that a number of clubs have been extremely wary of getting involved with him as the risks are quite high & disruptive based on previous form.

If you were in Melbourne's shoes at the negotiating table with his manager, what sort of contract structure & behavioural clauses would you have insisted on implementing to ensure a positive outcome for both parties ??

Off field, since he's started a family, I think he'll be fine.
I just have zero faith in his calves to be able to stand up to the rigours of modern AFL football.

he has had time to mature , see what he is missing out on and appears to have a new level of motivation

red flags would have to be what the club observes
does he buy into the club culture
is he applying himself to training

Costs nothing in the grand scheme of things so assuming he gets through his training regime there is no downside in picking him up.

Even if he never plays a game (which is very likely given his track record..), having a guy like that busting his gut to get back would surely buoy the spirits of the dees. They were missing that hunger last year.

This thread is a bit of a dramatic misfire tbh.

He’s on his last chance, won’t cost Melbourne anything apart from a low-level salary and a list spot and he’s exactly the kind of player they need.

if he is a w***er its not good culture wise

also takes a spot off a kid

Melbourne made the bold decision to acquire Harley Bennell even though he has had dramatic misfires at GC & Freo beforehand. There is no doubt he has some talent but his off-field dramas & poor attitude have held him back from really progressing in the AFL. It would also be fair to say that a number of clubs have been extremely wary of getting involved with him as the risks are quite high & disruptive based on previous form.

If you were in Melbourne's shoes at the negotiating table with his manager, what sort of contract structure & behavioural clauses would you have insisted on implementing to ensure a positive outcome for both parties ??

I'd say his calves are much more of an issue than his behaviour these days.

Every player would have clauses about drug use, off-field incidents. I don't think you would add any specific clauses for Harley.

Him and his manager would be made aware that he is on a short leash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that his behaviour towards the end at freo was fine but obviously his body didn’t hold up. We have until March to decide if we sign him so any mess ups and he won’t be offered a deal. Pretty sure he’ll essentially be a rookie so cost will be minimal. I guess there’s a risk if he plays up he’ll poorly influence the group. But we’d have done our due diligence. And he seems to be pretty stable with his family at the moment.

No off-field issues to worry about. But the calves...

With the amount of scar tissue (build up) alone that got mentioned with every injury related article over the past 3y. Can't see it being as simple as a doc going yep, see the problem, all fixed. Always sad to see another talented player ruled out of the game by injury (we also had Morabito, the "next Adam Goodes") but unfortunately, that's how life works, it's hardly ever fair. Hope he adds a few more games for his career, but expect his calves will continue to let him down.

Richmond has done OK with Alex Rance on their list.
5 x all Australian & captain, premiership player & arguably the best full back this decade. I'm fairly confident that Rance wouldn't care about being labelled a w***er 😉
Oh & on the note of bad club culture & poorly run clubs are Carlton finally ready to finish higher than 14th considering they've had more number 1's the last 15yrs than MJ & the Beatles together combined?

Last edited:
if he is a w***er its not good culture wise

also takes a spot off a kid
Still don't understand the way list management works apparent. He will be the 44th player on the list, he will be a rookie. If he plays, he's a shitload better than the 43rd player and if he doesn't we can delist him and take a kid in the mid season draft. Same exact situation as Shaun Grigg

Still don't understand the way list management works apparent. He will be the 44th player on the list, he will be a rookie. If he plays, he's a shitload better than the 43rd player and if he doesn't we can delist him and take a kid in the mid season draft. Same exact situation as Shaun Grigg

grigg was the 44th player was he?

This is what I don't get - "Taking the spot of a kid" as though rookie players are sure things who will contribute. It's beating the odds to get rookie players to play a single AFL game, let alone contribute in the same way a fit Bennell could.

grigg was the 44th player was he?
If he wasn't then using your logic with Bennell it was a horrendous decision by Richmond to leave him on.

Clearly it wasn't a horrendous decision so your logic, like always, is moronic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back