Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news even if we never play for premiership points there again, to have it maintained as a good VFL ground, AFLW ground, training ground is important for our club.
True this. It is an ideal VFL/AFLW ground & any extra revenue earners for the club will be gratefully received.

looks to me like Dadadadaaaaaa has managed to get this up and running basically on his lonesome..........extraordinary effort :thumbsu:
Well from 7 pages at last July to 35 now is an extrodinary effort! Really well done to everyone.

Shows the love that still exists for the ground from the fans.

It shows the club cares about the ground too, I was watching the North Melbourne-Hawthorn game at Arden Street and noticed all the grandstands pulled down for very little seating, same at Whitten Oval on the outer side as with most suburban grounds. It is fantastic Princes Park has maintained 25 000 is a great effort, if only the Heatley Stand was still there the ground would be 35 000 and right in the running for an AFL venue.

We need to barrack for Melbourne to finish top in the women's league if you know what I mean...;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake. This a great occasion happening tomorrow night, on many levels.

It's great that women have now an elite pathway to the best and most expressive game in the world.

Carlton put in a great submission with a painted bus and all. Which shows great vision and ability. There are many rival club & supporters disappointed they didn't get a team. WB & Melb were always going to get a team and Pies would get one with all their supporters. So we beat the rest, which is great endorsement of our current administration. But I also think the legacy of Princes Park and it's facilities helped and is better than all the rest.

Tomorrow night is a great night for the Carlton Football. There will be a group of young players running onto the field representing our great club for the first time in a premiership match against an arch rival. I can't imagine how proud & nervous they will feel as they run onto the ground in front of large crowd.

If we can get a crowd of 16,000 plus this will be significant. Many will watch on TV, I imagine, out of interest. They will see a large crowd under lights at Princes Park for the first time. The AFL will take notice of Princes Park too. There will be girls watching who don't have an AFL team playing in the women's comp and choose Carlton as their team because of the atmosphere and stands. Let's face it, Casey, Olympic park hold 5,000 standing maybe. Western Oval 8,500 mostly standing. Does Carlton become a destination clubs for girls?

We as Carlton will get a little of our identity back, with games been televised live out of Princes Park. Our brand is exposed more often and this could lead to more memberships.

For me tomorrow night is a celebrating of a new era for women in sport & a celebration of the Carlton Football club. Let's get out there and support these girls and create an aura around the Carlton Football Club with a massive turn out. I also think the women's game will present it's own style which will be a point of difference from the men's game.

The fairy tale comes true at Princes Park.

Raging Blue, Feb 2, 2017

I wrote the above before the Blues vs Pies women's game.

If they install lights, that will be significant. And all the possible upgrades will be great for us.

We don't know how much bigger the women's game will become, but one thing for sure, our women will be playing out of stadium with a carnival atmosphere. It is simply the best venue.

With possible lights, at the least, more men's preseason games will be played there. Along with the women's game, we get a bit of our history back.

Royal Park train station is about a 12 minute walk. There is a tram line right in front of ground. Plenty of car parking around South Brunswick if you know where to park. So there's plenty of access for a crowd of 20,000. Brunswick these days is also very densely populated with all the new apartments. A lot of people can walk to the ground. I noticed at the first women's game a lot of young couples walking to the ground.

It is certainly a great venue and a great location for a crowd of 10,000 to 24,000. It also looks good on television. I also noticed many young kids (and plenty of girls) before & after the game kicking the footy on the outside ovals & parks surrounding the ground. You can bring kids and kind of take your time. You can't do this at the docklands and some other venues.

I have been VERY VERY happy with all that has happened at Carlton in the past couple of years. We have some good operators at the club. The only thing that needs to happen now, is more Blues supporters buy memberships, so we can support our football department to the max.

Car parking
Appeasing locals

Can't please all of the people all of the time. Whilst I too do empathizes with the ajoining residents it's also unfair to nationwide CFC supports.
Prince park And area has a historical and cultural significance for us all.
Government should get off its butt and build appropriate infrastructure in sympathy with the environment and modernization ground facilities to support heavier crowds.
Every one would benefit long term. The Baggers would become invincible again and the AFL would have a thriving , profitable boutique football ground with an unique atmosphere the envy of the competion.
Go Baggers

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/princes-park-poised-for-major-facelift-20170227-gumd3d.html

I'm as keen as anyone for this to happen...however, I see no mention of the local community in this article, and that will be by far the biggest hurdle when it comes to AFL games.

A lot of water to pass under this bridge, me thinks...

View attachment 340733
It's less angry old fogey, more this sort:

a923c98b69e36cfddbded78154ddfc02.jpg

'I vote Greens and asylum seekers... just don't put the commission flats too close to Princes Hill...'

The irony (lol) is, these people are now on the AFL Women's bandwagon because somehow it makes footy political and meaningful and not feral and bogan, to them. In a way women's football may be the biggest positive for footy returning to suburban venues.

I mean it's not that hard... it doesn't take a genius to realise there is an entire generation now approaching 25 who have never seen their team play at their own home ground. For any age, it offers something. I think it'd be fantastic to have this ground brought up to scratch, and if you make it a hub for women's footy then you'll end up being able to get the political funding. Add in some other sort of smaller version or section of the game and you've probably covered a large chunk.

A game at Optus Oval and not Etihad between Melbourne/North/Bullies/Saints and Freo/West Coast/Adelaide Crows/Port/Lions... you get the picture, those games would go from 20,000 to 25,000 I reckon. Not that much, but it'll end up being an extra 50,000 or so within a year. All Carlton matches there would sell out easily with a capacity of 30,000.

'I vote Greens and asylum seekers... just don't put the commission flats too close to Princes Hill...'

The irony (lol) is, these people are now on the AFL Women's bandwagon because somehow it makes footy political and meaningful and not feral and bogan, to them. In a way women's football may be the biggest positive for footy returning to suburban venues.

I mean it's not that hard... it doesn't take a genius to realise there is an entire generation now approaching 25 who have never seen their team play at their own home ground. For any age, it offers something. I think it'd be fantastic to have this ground brought up to scratch, and if you make it a hub for women's footy then you'll end up being able to get the political funding. Add in some other sort of smaller version or section of the game and you've probably covered a large chunk.

A game at Optus Oval and not Etihad between Melbourne/North/Bullies/Saints and Freo/West Coast/Adelaide Crows/Port/Lions... you get the picture, those games would go from 20,000 to 25,000 I reckon. Not that much, but it'll end up being an extra 50,000 or so within a year. All Carlton matches there would sell out easily with a capacity of 30,000.
I want one of those jumpers!

If women playing footy is going to bring more people to the game and help upgrade facilities in all kinds of places, I'm not sure why you are lolling and moaning.

Get on the bandwagon Silent. It's fun, and it's going to help the game and the clubs grow.

Spot on. AFLW is (perhaps rightfully) seen as footy without the bullshit.

BTW, the young Greens voters are all renters and essentially powerless to shape their local environment. It's the yuppies and university professor types who are the NIMBYS here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back