Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
That is rather hopeful if you think a few months of playing kids will save his coaching job. Although it is Collingwood. Reward mediocrity to the coaches. Blame the players.
I think the club will move Buckley on after this season. I just hope we get the best replacement possible.

In answer to heading of this post IS BUCKLEY A GOOD MATCH DAY COACH ?

Simply...........NO !

He has had 10 years at the helm as senior coach. was handed a premiership side made his changes picked HIS side and look at us now !

He is a great assistant but not a good match day senior coach, because the only time he had success was when he pulled back the reins and let the experienced Assistants like Longmuir, Gotch and Hocking were more involved.They left or given their marching orders and we have a team of yes men who have put the club back years.

Youre talking exactly like every Tuggy supporter after 2016 where they finished 13th. Not another rebuild. Time to get a new coach. Delidio joined GWS and Tuggy fans were like "go Lids, get that GF before your career ends, youll never get it here"

Or maybe you would prefer that Bucks coached his defenders to hold fwds off the ball, tunnelling, stopping their run. Theyve done it for 4yrs. Its cheating, unsporting. You think it hasnt been well drilled, practiced, part of their game plan?

Is that how you define success?

Yeah right so the tigs success is wholly and solely down to cheating, :drunk: Nothing to do with being well drilled or actually having a decent game plan.

Spose we were robbed in 2018 too, but hey wc had no valid reason for htb in their goal square against Howe that didn't get paid. Let's not mention Q2 til the end of the game that wc controlled the game, wc should've won by 5 goals not 5 points if they kicked straigt, but nah we were robbed. :drunk:

OK on ignore you go. You're clearly a one eyed Pie with no reasonable argument, username suits - salty.

Last edited:
I think the club will move Buckley on after this season. I just hope we get the best replacement possible.
I think Buckley will leave. He may be pushed, however, I think the club will allow him the honour of announcing his ‘move’.

Buckley looks tired. Apart from the past 2 weeks, our performances haven’t been disastrous. But to me, Buckley seems to have lost any fire and energy.

I bet he will take an extended break from footy and come back through the media.

Yeah, nah. We laid down like dogs against GWS in the 2019 Prelim and didn't even turn up last year against Geelong.

Now we are second last with an awful list.

He's done.

Nobody laid down. We ramped up by adding Beams but he didnt play after rnd 11. Stevo played to rnd 12 before gambling. We won 9 out of 12.
It was working. Then our season got derailed.

Laid down? Tigers belted us about 7 weeks out and GWS 6 weeks out from finals? We then started lowering eyes, put ball out in front to lead into.
Won 5 in a row?
GWS final, Got jumped at start, fought back too late really, if you remember we had it in our fwd line, reentries, for last 4mins or so? but couldnt score was frustrating as hell.

The list? I keep saying the board said Find this space in list dont care how it has to be done.
The direction is clearly rebuild

So Bucks is the man right? or why rebuild? Why delist 12 blokes then? Because list was awful, ageing and so we went to draft added 6 top 30 talent.

How is that awful? Cos 2nd last?
But wins dont mean s**t in a rebuild?
No they dont, its about playing the kids.
Ok so he plays the kids and lose - insane levels of Pies calling for chop.

Whats his replacement going to do? Play the kids.
How many years he got? Took Bucks 5yrs.

When its 2026 and Bucks taken GWS or whoever to 2 Premierships
What then?

GWS final, Got jumped at start, fought back too late really, if you remember we had it in our fwd line, reentries, for last 4mins or so? but couldnt score was frustrating as hell.
Game at MCG. No Toby Greene. GWS had one fit player (or was it none?) on the bench for the entire final qtr. Dreadful loss.

But last year's was even worse. Oh boy...

And as far as being the man, I'm afraid Nathan is our very own version of Terry Wallace.

Last edited:
I think Tezza was prone to wearing leather pants as well. Could this be the missing ingredient for Buckley?

All for rebuilds and time. However , he didnt inherit a trash list. 2010 was apparently one of the younger grand final winning teams wasnt it ? A Flag and then a GF apperance just before he took over would have been any coaches dream. That list wasnt in need of a rebuild.

He wanted to put his "own spin" on the list. Shipped out Shaw among others to dismantle that 2010 flag winning team. Caused a fair bit of unrest with the playing group. Bought on his buddies for assistants. Then continued to get worse and worse each year until that outlier year in 2018 where we fell short.

Im saying , there is no supporter of a club that would be happy to see a team go from Flag > Runner Up > then a new coach takes over , has two pretty poor years of finals and plummets until 2018. If thats your idea of a successful coach, yikes.

Do you actually think the 2011 list was required to be torn apart and rebuilt?

Clarkson, Pyke & Mitchell in that order. 2-3 years back into finals. 4 - 5 for a legit GF crack at the flag.

I want to see improvement, an actual game style. I want youth development. All lacking under Buckley. Our list deficiencies addressed ( 10 Years no KPF developred or younger midfielders to replace the ageing Sidey and Pendles) Yes coaches arent involved in everything. However as a coach you surely have some pull in what players you want on your list. I mean look at the treloar scenario with Buckleys fingers prints and knives all over Treloars back.

I want Football assistants at the club. If they are mates , great. If its Robert Harvey for another 5 ill spew.

Its a well documented period of time of boys club which has bought the club to where it is. Its a shame some supporters cant see this. Then those who bring it up are negative or not giving buckley a fair chance , give me a break .

2011 Mick left Reid who couldnt run on Hawkins. Podsially was off ground inj. Why didnt Mick put Tarrant onto him after Pod was done. Hawkins was a spud at that stage. The fact he could burn Reid, with Stevie J on field coaching at top of his voice, and Hawkins kicked 4.

Why didnt Mick make the changes?

Ed thought he was doing the right thing with succession plan. Get Mick to mentor Bucks much like Sydney had done with Roos to bring Longmire up to speed.
Mick rightly felt jipped, wanted to keep coaching, and Ed Bucks should of given Mick 2012.

So yes was a tragedy. The boys played for Mick and they could do as they pleased as long as they played.
Bucks was different, more on the prep, set good standards etc improve the culture.
Biggest mistake was not offering Leon Davis the $450k contract he wanted after first AA and instead were like $250 to $300k on veterans list.
We struggled all year to kick out.
The media the siupporters, the internal dynamics, the team harmony out of whack.
Attitude creeping in. Moved on the ratpack except Swanny. Jolly was difficult to work with.
Rebuild time.

5yrs later GF.

Yeah was hard but thats footy. Some things you try and they dont work.
The clubs been bitching about it since.

So you not happy that Bucks nearly (did win/robbed) GF?
So not happy we added Beams (upto Rnd 11) and Stevo gambling (Rnd 12) meant the 9 wins outta 12 at start of 2019 momentum was lost.

But Mick leaving Reid on field inj and Cats belted us in half of footy in 2011 is Buckleys fault?

Micks fault?

If was 2019 vs GWS we laid down under shitty Bucks apparently? 4pts margin.

What was 2011 margin? (they beat us 3 times that year) 38pts or so in GF. They laid down too?

Bucks has always suffered from following in great mans shoes. A much loved figure in the club in Mick.

But Bucks cant coach? He got robbed first frrkn GF.
Compare that to Mick 2011 - nah peeps dont.

hes regressed in 9 of the 10 years he has been in charge. We are not going anywhere near a flag in the next 3 years at least, probably more given the cattle we have and the draft picks for next year. Candidates? My 82 year old mother who knows nothing about football but actively barracks against Collingwood because i support them could do a better job!

14th to GF is a regress? 17wins?
16wins? In 2019 won 9 out of first 12.

Nothing to so with Beams last game and Stevo missing 10 games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a genuine note JMac, I have never come across a more committed/staunch Buckley man. You have never resiled in your commitment. Impressive. I've met plenty who started that way but most have pulled back over the last few years. So I have a number of genuine questions that I would appreciate you answering please:

(i) At the time of the coaching handover, were you convinced that it was the right call at the time?
(ii) Throughout Buckley's tenure, did you ever waver in your support of him as a senior AFL coach?
(iii) Given nearly 10 years at the helm, if it was your call and your call alone, would you extend him again?

Bucks will be given a 1 year extension by mid season is my gut feel. Direction of play kids, take pressure off, then re-assess end of 2022.

Yeah right so the tigs success is wholly and solely down to cheating, :drunk: Nothing to do with being well drilled or actually having a decent game plan.

Spose we were robbed in 2018 too, but hey wc had no valid reason for htb in their goal square against Howe that didn't get paid. Let's not mention Q2 til the end of the game that wc controlled the game, wc should've won by 5 goals not 5 points if they kicked straigt, but nah we were robbed. :drunk:

OK on ignore you go. You're clearly a one eyed Pie with no reasonable argument, username suits - salty.

You must listen to the footy cos you clearly dont watch it. Go watch 2018 vs Tuggys, rnd 6, rnd 19, - Stephenson so skinny Rance holding him with 1 arm and JS is running on the spot. Happened both games all day.

Its coaching to a grey area. Can only engage in holding wrestling when player within 5m of ball. Rance, Grimes initiate the moment its left the boot. You might remember that as Holding the Man. The umps dont look for it, all they see is the fwd and def wresting as it comes on. Its rarely called, cos umps are chickenshit when they see it more often than not. Plus who initiated the fwd or the def? So they let it go. The Tuggys defense are coached to do this. Its a free kick all day, but they know it dont get called. Been getting away with it, neutralising the fast, light fwds from clean runs at ball. Thats cheating - they know the rules but do it anyway.

You think in a shootout like Tuggys do that its not effective asf? Its huge!!!

So go watch those games cocko I guarantee will freak ya the frkk out.

They didnt do so in 2018 Prelim though -which was strange?

Heres Fagan seeking clarification, making umps aware of Grimes off ball treatment of Charlie Cameron.

On a genuine note JMac, I have never come across a more committed/staunch Buckley man. You have never resiled in your commitment. Impressive. I've met plenty who started that way but most have pulled back over the last few years. So I have a number of genuine questions that I would appreciate you answering please:

(i) At the time of the coaching handover, were you convinced that it was the right call at the time?
(ii) Throughout Buckley's tenure, did you ever waver in your support of him as a senior AFL coach?
(iii) Given nearly 10 years at the helm, if it was your call and your call alone, would you extend him again?
I was convinced that the handover was the correct decision (still am)
I have wavered in my support.
I think we should extend him by one season.

Bux says he wants to coach on.
Well a million a year, I’d want to coach on as well. Who wouldn’t?
But that just shows it’s all about the Buckley train, and not CFC.
He is hurting his legacy as a player every year he refuses to accept that he is damaging us, and our reputation.
No he’s not.

You suppose we were robbed in 2018? GTFO...

Were young hanging with Daniel Chick letting him snort lines out ya ass crack or something?

You watch the football yeah? Not closely though im guessing?

You know theres rules yeah? These rules are run every game for 22 rounds and finals. On GF the best umps from season generally get the nod/gig.
For 3/4 the same rules are in effect

THEN the AFL prob Gil or some other priv boys school yuppy exec decides for some ****ed up reason to tell the umpires to put the whistle away.
No rules...yup....its a better spectacle apparently

So why have rules at all? Frrkn morons

Anyway again, i said professional auditors are trained to look for shenanigans and they call these redflags. When there is say a number of 50/50 outcomes and the majority favour one side, thats a redflag.

So Pies 5 goals up, Q1 Langdon missed rushed behind they goaled. Directly after that goal from CBA theres a free to WCE they kickk long to Vardy in fwd think? Free kick, = goal.

Q4 When the whistle is away, they paid 4 free kicks total for qtr. As Leigh Matthews argued "if you think there was only 4 free kicks youre dreaming" - "umpires are there to umpire not not umpire. They have to call them when they are there otherwise the ones they do are questioned against the ones they dont.

So WCE 3 or so goals behind. Get needed catch up goal. The very next CBA the whistle comes out, free kick centre clearance. They go long, mark on fwd 50. Goal. (Not saying wasnt quality set shot) but the whistle was away? A centre infringe is worse than all the bullshit that took place that qtr is it?

Frrfk off ....

😤

Summary

So Q1 and Q4 when behind and WCE kicked a goal, the umps find an immediate CBA infringe to get the ball going into WCE fwd line. On both occassions they resulted in immediate goal. (Thats a redflag) espesh since whistle was away. Q1 = FK,FK, = Goal, Q4 = FK, Mark, Goal.

When you add Vardy hands in back/push Grundy under boundary throw in, (Not called 👀) grabs boots goal.

Thats 3 catch up goals

+ Maynard at 1:46 to go, blocked by Rioli, Sheed free to mark uncontested. Kicks goal to get in front for first time.
No - its Maynards 1:46 to go. The rest of what WCE did or didnt frrk up never happens as Maynards kick changes all that.

Could the Pies still choke etc? Of course but thats irrelevent, they mighta held out?

4 goals WCE way from umps sure helps

R O B B E D 😤

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back