Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

We travel 5 times: Twice to Adelaide, Once to Gold Coast, Sydney and Perth #facts

We play 9 games that are considered "home advantage" one less than any interstate team. Two less than Freo
We play 7 games that are considered "Neutral to Away disadvantage", which is 5 more than interstate teams, and less than Vic clubs who play on average 11.
We play 5 games interstate, which is the least of any club, however the travel between Melbourne Geelong is the equivalent of about 3.5 Melbourne Games to 1 Interstate, so consider that the eqv of travelling interstate 7 times (5 actual + (7/3.5)=2 Melbourne), which is the most of any Melbourne club who doesn't sell home games, and 3 times less than any interstate team (2 less than Freo).

The fixture will never be fair until there is an equal number of games between all clubs, and there is an equal number of clubs in any given geographical area. Maybe if the AFL was a new tier created above the VFL/SAFL/WAFL this may have been the case, but it isn't. The number of clubs in Melbourne isn't going to decrease anytime soon, so this will always be apart of AFL.

You were going ok until you quoted "Travel time from Geelong to Melbourne". It takes longer for half of Australia to get to work than it does for Geelong to get to the MCG for a weekend match. Its a 1 hour drive lol

The players sleep in their own bed, have breakfast with their own family and then drive to the game.

That's like saying Sydney playing GWS is travelling because it takes them 2 hours to get out to the western suburbs.

You do realise the unemployment rate in Geelong is far far higher than South Australia?
You realise that its a backwater right? Nobody except people from Geelong think its any good.

Sorry I forgot Ford are still operating in Geelong...oh wait.
victorians arent bleating on about wanting to keep subsidizing industries and replacing the cars with subsidised submarines. we accept that ford are gone and wages should not be paid for by other peoples taxes.

nothing wrong about being a backwater as long as you dont go accusing other places of being a backwater as if you dont yourself live in one. Are your drinking reservoirs still full of poisioned fish or have you guys finally decided to fix that up?

You were going ok until you quoted "Travel time from Geelong to Melbourne". It takes longer for half of Australia to get to work than it does for Geelong to get to the MCG for a weekend match. Its a 1 hour drive lol

The players sleep in their own bed, have breakfast with their own family and then drive to the game.

That's like saying Sydney playing GWS is travelling because it takes them 2 hours to get out to the western suburbs.
You clearly have no clue.

From Moggs Creek to the MCG it would be 1hr30m at best, closer to 1hr45m. For Torquay knock off 15min (where most players are based).

Unlike players from Adelaide who get a bus into the Airport, sit in an economy seat for an hour to Melbourne, then a bus to the hotel, Geelong players drive them selves up and back on game day. You can't say a player sitting on their arse for an hour on a plane is more fatigued than a player driving 1hr30min on a boring straight highway.

You clearly have no clue.

From Moggs Creek to the MCG it would be 1hr30m at best, closer to 1hr45m. For Torquay knock off 15min (where most players are based).

Unlike players from Adelaide who get a bus into the Airport, sit in an economy seat for an hour to Melbourne, then a bus to the hotel, Geelong players drive them selves up and back on game day. You can't say a player sitting on their arse for an hour on a plane is more fatigued than a player driving 1hr30min on a boring straight highway.

I dont care.
Its 2 hours from one side of Sydney to the other but its not the same as jumping on a plane, sleeping in a hotel and having a totally different routine to normal.

Its not fatigue that we're talking about here. Otherwise Vic teams play 1 away game a year by your own theory.
I'm not the one whinging about it, Geelong fans are.

I would but the best one has a cross through it.
17 teams would swap for your draw in a heartbeat.
You'd give up 12 Adelaide Oval games for 9? You can say you would as much as you want, but why do the Adelaide FC continue to take the 12 games if they'd prefer just 9? Something is amiss...:huh:

You'd give up 12 Adelaide Oval games for 9? You can say you would as much as you want, but why do the Adelaide FC continue to take the 12 games if they'd prefer just 9? Something is amiss...:huh:

If it meant we only had to leave SA 5 times, hell yes.
And so would every single other interstate side.

You guys just don't get it. The constant bleating has overpowered the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said find me a club with something better.
You cant.
Because that doesn't exist.
Pies- 14 games at home- 8 against non-tenanted. 5 interstate -Freo in Perth, brissy, GC, Crows and swans ( always a gimme for the pies)-not bad.
Tigers-14 games at home -9 against non-tenanted. 5 interstate.
Melbourne -11 games at the G- 7 against non-tenanted teams. And 2 and a half at neutral venues.
Hawks- 9 at the G -6 against non-tenanted teams. 4 home games in tassie. 4 interstate.
Adelaide 12 games at home. 2 at neutral venues.
Can't be bothered looking beyond that.
All pretty comparable to Geelong's draw- 9 home games. 5 interstate - WC in Perth, 2 Adelaide games.1 in Sydney.
Then-Do you think teams that play at the G 11, 12-14 times year in, year out, are advantaged especially during finals? Recent results in the finals would suggest they do get an advantage over teams that play there every now and then- the interstaters keep failing to give a whimper in that unfamiliar territory.
Do you think interstate teams gain a benefit from home finals? So there are further benefits that Geelong doesn't have. No biggie.
And again-I am happy with our deal. You are the one who isn't despite repeated explanations that show you have got it wrong. Real head -banging stuff isn't it.
Ps you haven't answered my question-how would you feel about the crows giving up their home game against the reigning premiers and come play it in Melbourne? Am assuming the answer is YEP - bring it on.

Last edited:
I said find me a club with something better.
You cant.
Because that doesn't exist.
cos you live in the previously mentioned simple world. its impossible to argue with someone stuck in the simple world who refuses to come out of it. probably cos you know it will ruin your argument. so keep living in the simple world of only interstate games are away games. It will atleast be a nice side show in this thread to gawk at.

cos you live in the previously mentioned simple world. its impossible to argue with someone stuck in the simple world who refuses to come out of it. probably cos you know it will ruin your argument. so keep living in the simple world of only interstate games are away games. It will atleast be a nice side show in this thread to gawk at.

What is the more complex argument that I'm missing?

You are the ONLY team to get 9 home games against teams that dont share the ground AND not have to travel more than 10 times.

It is that simple.

That could literally describe every cats supporter in this thread.
Get the best deal in the league, still complain.
There is a reason you have a terrible post-likes ratio despite joining in the BF era of likes. You have +60 posts more than the next opposition poster in this thread. You beat us in the PF and eliminated us, ain't that enough?

There is a reason you have a terrible post-likes ratio despite joining in the BF era of likes. You have +60 posts more than the next opposition poster in this thread. You beat us in the PF and eliminated us, ain't that enough?

That reason is I post a lot in a thread where we don't feel the need to give each other a reach-around.

I dont know what is sadder. The fact that you investigated that, or the fact that you think that is a genuine way to measure a poster's worth.

But it doesn’t. It takes 50 minutes from the SCG, nearly the easternmost point of Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back