• Hell no

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • This is so bad Brad Hardie could've written it

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Trade Jack Darling

Votes: 23 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

take a look at this halfwit..you think because your club is called freo you take ownership of every past player from the area ?

They have absolutely nothing to do with your club !

Not at all, just stating the facts, where did I take ownership? Eagles were built around Fremantle players. Thanks to the strong Fremantle history, the Eagles had success.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

No point in changing the name altho with hindsight Perth Eagles would have been the wiser choice.

Not at all, just stating the facts, where did I take ownership? Eagles were built around Fremantle players. Thanks to the strong Fremantle history, the Eagles had success.

Hello troll. Maybe you should go post amongst your purpos instead of on the WCE board as a "fan of both clubs". 15 posts, all of them on the WCE board so far. Is it school holidays already?

To had a squad full of Fremantle players now is not possible

Not saying a "full squad". You are the one spruiking some sort of Fremantle "history" ..... surely you flogs would drafting more EF/SF players and have substantially more on your list than any other team or, with your imminent move out of your "historical" heartland, will you now be concentrating on drafting players from the local Cockburn amateurs side? ?

The Fremantle Dockers are 22 years old.

Their formation had nothing to do with any of Fremantle's football history. You're a construct, just like the West Coast Eagles except that we've been happy to forge our own identity whereas you've latched onto someone else's like a creeper on a tree, sucking the life out of it in the process

If I remember correctly the majority of the their inaugural players were from Claremont.

The successful Eagles players from the East Fremantle Sharks and South Fremantle Bulldogs have exactly zero to do with the Fremantle "We Couldn't Use Our Nickname For Years Because It Belonged To A Pair Of Jeans" Dockers.

Think you might have run your race here, to be honest.

should change our name to sydney eagles so we get spoon fed by emperor Gill and his minions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other side of the ledger, there are few reasons (other than cost and a preference for inertia) not to become the Perth Eagles.
What a flimsy, moronic argument.

Basically it comes down to "West Coast sounds a little funny to me given that we now have Freo so let's completely change the team's name, song, branding and history and I can't think of why that might be a bad idea".

His main contention with our name seems to be that we can't claim to be the west coast given that Freo are also on the west coast. But in the same breath he describes Perth as a city stretching more than 100km, presumably including Fremantle. By his own rules, if the Eagles can't claim the west coast, how can they claim Perth?

Also, his historical argument about a Freo vs Perth rivalry is absolutely irrelevant these days. Not many people would appreciate the distinction between the two, and even fewer would identify any sort of rivalry.

And why must it be so Perth-centric? What about the people who get on coaches from Mandurah and the south-west to make it to home games? Should we exclude them because absolutely nobody cares except you? I think the best thing about the name is that it's inclusive of fans around the state and recognises the fantastic WA players that we've had from outside Perth.

He cites all of the examples of teams that are suburb/city/state specific, but never argues why that must be so. Don't argue against inertia by arguing for it you twit.

Last edited:
Pathetic article, we will always be West Coast, must be a slow news day to bring that tripe up.

Freo were around over 100 years ago and split to form East and South Freo because they were to strong for the other wafl teams.

That is far from the case, the team Fremantle did not split because they were too strong for the other WAFL clubs. I have a lot of books on WAFL history at home, I will look into it.

No need to get your panties in a twist little man, we are only setting the facts right to help you with your lack of knowledge.

Unions Fremantle premiers 10 times between 1887 to 1898
Yes, but the team folded due to other circumstances, not because of being too strong. BTW, if I recall right, that was a time when there were only a handful of sides in the competition.

Crap, pointless article. No way we are changing our name because we're no longer the only team from WA. We were always meant to represent the whole of WA from the start, not just Perth, that won't ever change no matter how many AFL teams there are from WA.

Last edited:
I like my story better. The fact remains Freo was one of the original footy clubs in the state
Absolutely it was

And East Fremantle is the most successful WAFL club historically by a mile even though recent success has been hard to come by

The proud history of football in Fremantle was a big part of the reason why it was used as the base for the 2nd AFL team in WA and it's arguable that a club based anywhere else would have failed

Now, the distinction here is that the dockers were formed by the WAFL to compete in the AFL and were based in Fremantle to generate support, they weren't formed by the Fremantle clubs despite a lot of the early admin coming from east and south Fremantle

It was designed that way and in the thread about dockers supporters being Eagles supporters, there's a lot of posters who said they moved to the dockers because of the Freo link. Fremantle was chosen as a specific location to differentiate them from the broader west coast

West coast was used as the name for the Eagles to encompass the state in order to generate wide support from disparate places - it wasn't uncommon in the early days for people to barrack for the Eagles players based on their WAFL origins. There are good reasons why west coast was used and why it shouldn't be narrowed to Perth

People who argue against west coast as a name are historically ignorant

Back