Analysis Is it time to trade out Sauce?

Remove this Banner Ad

weneverland

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
For a while now I've been a critic of the big lumbering ruckmen sometime referred to by others as dinosaurs. If they are good they will win the majority of taps and if they are really good they will give your team the majority of taps to advantage. But what they don't do when the ball is not being thrown up is a lot around the ground. In effect, for the majority of play we are really playing with just 17 effective men on the ground.

I recently came across an article called Footy Forensics: Ruck importance which looked at the importance of ruckmen in determining the outcome of game. Some of the conclusions were that "in recent years there was no relationship between hitouts and margin". and "The percentage of games won by the team that won the hit outs is at a low". (This year below 45%)

"What ultimately matters more than winning the hit-out is getting the ball away from the stoppage - in other words, winning the clearance. Some teams are better than others at nabbing the clearance whether they win the hit-out or not. This year, Richmond is averaging 36 clearances per game, while they're only recording an average of 25.8 hit outs. That difference of 10.2 between their average clearances and hit-outs is the best in the league, and is a dramatic improvement on the Tigers' -8.1 figure recorded in 2015. Melbourne, too, have had a dramatic turnaround in the difference between their average clearances and hit-outs, suggesting they're getting much better at converting their own hit-outs to clearances and they've started sharking more of their opponents' taps, too." And many of you may remember how well Collingwood's midfield roved to losing rucks a few years ago.

I'm suggesting that we trade Jacobs while he has currency for a decent player and replace him with someone in the Andy Otten mould. Someone that can pinch hit in the ruck, have the versatillity to go down back or forward, have an impact around the ground, take contested marks and kick a few goals. (The lack of contested marks from Jacobs is the most disappointing aspect of Sauce's game IMO.) Going up against big ruckmen would be very hard on the body I would imagine. But sharing the ruck duties between Jenkins, Otten and Jacobs' replacement should help. Really they just have to be a big enough nuisance in ruck to reduce the opposition's hitouts to advantage.

Teach our midfield to shark the ball no matter who wins the taps. Not too hard. After all, most ruckmen usually tap the ball down to their feet. If we can do that the around the ground we will have a clear advantage as we will have 18 effective players to their 17.

What do you think?

Takes contested marks, that's what stands up in finals. I wrote him off after the Giles encounter but he's been quite good this year.
In a game we dominated Jacobs took one contested mark. Otten took three. For such a big man who is not built for getting ball below his knees this should be an point of difference. Quite good? He should be better. Andy Otten does better plus brings a whole lot more.

Our midfield isn't good enough to win clearances from a ruck setup that gets comprehensively beaten
How do you know. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to be elite to be taught how to rove off of opposition rucks. Collingwood's midfield did it and Melbourne's and Richmond's midfield do it. Surely it just takes the right mindset and practice.

You might want to get someone to replace him first before you go looking at trading him out. Which he'd never agree to anyway.
When his contract expires and even before, if he is told he has no future in the A's then he will agree to move on. There are plenty of clubs that will still value a good big tap ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacobs in much better form , he will get worked over by Scotts tactics tonight so let's see how he goes

Grundy would be great but would cost

It's not the AFC way to trade out a regular best 22 player and he's top 6-7 by position in league currently so not a major concern compared to others

When the bounce goes the way of the dodo next year center bounces, I mean center ball ups, will have a very different dynamic.

OP is correct the one trick tap ruckman that offers nothing around the ground will disappear from the game

Because we can't win clearances when our own ruck is dominating
The point I am making and the article I quoted implies that it doesn't seem to make much difference whether your ruckman is winning the taps or not. So why not get in a player that can also contribute around the ground?

When the bounce goes the way of the dodo next year center bounces, I mean center ball ups, will have a very different dynamic.

OP is correct the one trick tap ruckman that offers nothing around the ground will disappear from the game
Sauce will be ok then. Ryder should be concerned...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is where i find the list of people we've recruited as ruckmen in the last ten years, show that none of them came on, and point out we basically got Jacobs as a ready-made ruck (4th in line at Carlton... WTF are they doing)

I'd really be wondering more about if it's time to trade out Clarke, or get a decent draft pick to find an excellent ruckman who's mobile.

Who could we trade to Collingwood to get Grundy? They need one of everything.

But Sauce is staying, will retire here, and we'll need to find a guy now that's ready to take over then. RO'B? His time is near?

A - where would he go? (Sa boy)
B - what would we get for him?
C - who replaces him?

Say we are going after Grundy, what do we do with Sauce and O'Brien?

Do we trade Jenkins, play Grundy in his place with more ruck mins? (Not ideal)

Unless it covers the majority of our end of a trade which lands us an elite midfielder, no.

Jacobs wouldnt be deemed a new age ruckman, but he is comfortably the most mobile of the dinosaurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back