Analysis Is Melbourne in a proper crisis?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't get why you're angry at Roos when he came in and did exactly the job he said he'd do.

You say "when the preferred options didn't want the job, it was time to reassess" - in your mind, what should Roos have done?
What they should of done is reassess as I said, the answer to the problem of none of the top candidates wanting the job isn’t to appointment some bloke off the street nobody else wanted.

Im not anger at Roos overall the job he did was reasonable, but he carries a large degree of responsibility for the abject failure of his hand picked replacement, the club stuck to a flawed process at his insistence and it’s been an unmitigated disaster

What they should of done is reassess as I said, the answer to the problem of none of the top candidates wanting the job isn’t to appointment some bloke off the street nobody else wanted.

Im not anger at Roos overall the job he did was reasonable, but he carries a large degree of responsibility for the abject failure of his hand picked replacement, the club stuck to a flawed process at his insistence and it’s been an unmitigated disaster

A baffling conclusion of how events unfolded.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The coaching staff are in that dangerous cycle of dropping players and trying to generate motivation. If players don’t have belief and motivation then they’re doomed. I also believe the 2018 Prelim has destroyed their psyche.

The club launched a “Pledge” initiative where you donate $100 for each win this season.

On the flip side, idhappily pay $100 for each loss to help pay out Goodwins contract. I think there would be fairly decent uptake on it too

Not sure what Tom Morris is on about here. According to this article the Demons sold that pub and reinvested the money elsewhere back in 2018.

Let’s even assume the article is wrong and they did just sell the pub. He referred to it as “lucrative”. Quite frankly deciding to sell lucrative assets doesn’t scream ‘strong financial position’ to me.
You're right about when the Leighoak Club was sold. From memory, it was profitable for the club but only because of pokies and the decision was made to exit from them. I think the profit was generally between $500k - $1m per year. So with pokies it was a good business, without them it would not have been. The club is keeping the Bentleigh Club and just selling the poker machines instead so obviously there is a belief that will be profitable even without pokies. And the money from the sale was reinvested but I think only in a portfolio that could be liquefied in the short term relatively easily -- the club did not acquire any major long-term assets e.g. a property or business.

That all said, take with a grain of salt as all that info is from the club and obviously they try to spin it positively. I would be pleasantly surprised if by the end of the year we were one of only a handful of clubs to not require assistance from the AFL.

The coaching staff are in that dangerous cycle of dropping players and trying to generate motivation. If players don’t have belief and motivation then they’re doomed. I also believe the 2018 Prelim has destroyed their psyche.
Goodwins game plan revolved around 2 players darting into the centre at a bounce and starting 4 forwards deep. That made up for the lack of midfield pace as we won more contests than we lost. Since the 6-6-6 rule came in he hasn't been able to come up with a new plan that works.

Also hasn't helped that since Hogan left at the end of 2018 TMcDonald has turned to an absolute spud. That has come at a loss of 100+ goals (their 2018 combined tally). Makes it easy to see why we can't kick a winning score despite having a decent inside 50 count

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Didn't he have that great run though when Viney was injured? You can't play Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw and now Petracca in the same midfield at the same time. Problem is only Petracca can play a different role but they are moving out Brayshaw and sticking with Viney and Oliver inside, no matter how bad the form of Viney is. It's as though Goodwin is mates with Viney's old man or something???

That's a pretty dumb post, Viney has been one of our best this year, almost single-handedly got us over the line against the Lions.

You're right about when the Leighoak Club was sold. From memory, it was profitable for the club but only because of pokies and the decision was made to exit from them. I think the profit was generally between $500k - $1m per year. So with pokies it was a good business, without them it would not have been. The club is keeping the Bentleigh Club and just selling the poker machines instead so obviously there is a belief that will be profitable even without pokies. And the money from the sale was reinvested but I think only in a portfolio that could be liquefied in the short term relatively easily -- the club did not acquire any major long-term assets e.g. a property or business.

That all said, take with a grain of salt as all that info is from the club and obviously they try to spin it positively. I would be pleasantly surprised if by the end of the year we were one of only a handful of clubs to not require assistance from the AFL.

Hopefully the Dees are in a good financial position. I certainly didn’t raise it to claim they are not (not saying you implied I did). The sale certainly doesn’t necessarily mean the club is in a poor position either, as you say they did it on moral grounds even with the possible loss of revenue.

I thought I would raise that more to show that Tom Morris actually doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about, and he is doing napkin accounting on wrong info so he can push his own Agenda, which is to get momentum behind a story that Goodwin can be sacked.

Hackery of the highest order. Nothing new from him.

I’d agree if he did it constantly but he doesn’t. Sometimes they do need to be heard, particularly in extraordinary times - this is one of them, really. They had an appalling year last year, they did the whole “hell and back” redemption thing... Now we’re halfway thru the new season and they’re bottom four and got beaten by 10 goals. It’s a very low point.
Agreed. We are at a critical juncture now. There was a positive aura after the Brisbane loss, in fact I think we played really well but kicked poorly which hurt. The Port game at worst should’ve been a small loss, at best a win. After the week before you’d think they’d be really competitive against Port.

We now look like not playing finals, that’ll be 3/4 years under Goodwin we haven’t played finals after a pretty substantial rebuild. It’s definitely called for, things are extreme if you talk to pretty much any Melbourne fan. There’s no way forward for the club if we miss the 8, not under Goodwin anyway.

^Kosi 5 touch pickett aka dumbest footballer (burns his teammate and misses in front)

Yeah no I’ll pass thanks
Hahaha Kosi nominated for the rising star against North Pickett
Best part about this past is getting to quote our forever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some posters here are left with egg on their faces :)

Weideman's return and improvement has been significant and massive for The Dees, and more than justifies trading out Jesse Hogan.

With the way they are playing, they could do some damage in the finals if they get there..

Gawn's absence has been bit of an unexpected blessing in disguise for The Dees.

Good to see them up and about !

4 consecutive games decided by 50+ (the last 3 being wins)

Their losses to date have been Geelong (by 3), Brisbane (by 4), Richmond, WCE (both by 27) and Port (by 51), and they don't have to face any of those sides again. Looks rosier when you consider who has beaten them.

Good for the fans anyway.

Melbourne are such a confidence-based side. I always thought that their talent far exceeded their performance in the last two years, but the only thing is that they seemed to drop their head too quickly. They need to keep that confidence up if they do end up losing another game in the remaining patch though because they have a lot of talent. It’s kinda why teams like West Coast and Richmond keep staying in the 8 because they have enough confidence in themselves to know that if they lose by 30+ points (which they both tend to do) one game, then they can easily bounce back the next week.

We're still being labelled as s**t on most club boards and I guess you have to cop that when you haven't beaten a top side.

If those two losses by under a kick to Lions and Cats were wins though it would be a significantly different complexion IMO.

The Port game was genuinely s**t but also gave 'em a kicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back