Moved Thread Is Paddy McCartin ahead of Tom Boyd?

Who is the better number 1 pick?

• Paddy McCartin

• Tom Boyd

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting foxsports article here:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/is-...s/news-story/f0ea6d6710f6cc8976c7567daf145a70

FOOTY fans might have been witnessing something special on Saturday evening.

No, not an animated Ross Lyon spray, but the emergence of a rare talent in the form of St Kilda youngster Paddy McCartin.

One of three key forwards selected with pick 1 in the space of four national drafts, McCartin is showing signs that — although he is the youngest — he might have the most upside.

In a 34-point victory over Fremantle, the 20-year-old crashed packs, took strong marks and booted two goals — taking his tally to seven from the past four matches.

He influenced the game in a way both Jon Patton and Tom Boyd have found difficult to replicate, with both struggling to crack the senior teams of GWS and the Western Bulldogs respectively.

Indeed, a three-prong forward line also featuring Josh Bruce and Tim Membrey continued to gel exceptionally well in its early stages.

He might have been the Saints’ lowest ball-winner against Fremantle on Saturday, but McCartin proved he doesn’t need to touch the ball too many times to have an impact during games.

After clunking 10 marks against Essendon in Round 9, McCartin finished with a team-low nine disposals but booted two crucial goals from five marks (three contested) to help the Saints overcome the Dockers and win by 37 points.

The No. 1 draft pick has now kicked at least two goals in three of his past four games, while he’s taken at least one contested mark in each game so far this season.

McCartin’s marking was a big feature against the Dockers, highlighted by a brilliant one-handed juggling grab during the first term. Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton compared McCartin’s single-duke effort to ex-Essendon high-flyer Paul Van der Haar.

“This kid doesn’t dominate yet. But each week he does something that makes us go wow,” Brereton told Fox Footy.

McCartin was rested after St Kilda’s Round 5 loss to GWS before being forced to earn his way back into the senior line-up via the VFL.

And since returning to the side for the past two games, McCartin has been a key cog in the Saints’ threatening key forward trio, with the other two members being Josh Bruce and Tim Membrey.

“McCartin moves well across the ground for a big man,” former Brisbane forward Jonathan Brown told Fox Footy.

“The first thing you look at with key forwards is how well they keep their feet and stay in the contest. He does this well.”

so has paddy moved past boyd?

Sure, but these guys are the size and bulk of ruckmen. It takes time.

Hawkins is a great example. Kennedy also took a few years. It took Tippet to play ruck and Jenkins may also be in this late blooming group.

The more agile and quicker key forwards, like Franklin, Cameron and Darling seem to click earlier than the big brutes. I think Wright and Mccartin may be the better of the giant sized youngsters, however Patton has shown talent, it's just his body that causes frustration.

I think patience is the key, because overworking these kids seems to lead to fatigue or injury.

Sure, but these guys are the size and bulk of ruckmen. It takes time.

Hawkins is a great example. Kennedy also took a few years. It took Tippet to play ruck and Jenkins may also be in this late blooming group.

The more agile and quicker key forwards, like Franklin, Cameron and Darling seem to click earlier than the big brutes. I think Wright and Mccartin may be the better of the giant sized youngsters, however Patton has shown talent, it's just his body that causes frustration.

I think patience is the key, because overworking these kids seems to lead to fatigue or injury.

mccartin reminds me more a cloke with tex walkers/kennedys/frankalins football brain. without the kicking yips of cloke

The only people that think McCartin hasn't gone past Boyd are Bulldogs supporters.

Paddy is improving with each game and showing all the signs of being a real matchwinner in future years.

Will be an exciting player to watch with his ability to pull down big contested pack marks.

mccartin reminds me more a cloke with tex walkers/kennedys/frankalins football brain. without the kicking yips of cloke

He reminds me more of Jarryd Roughead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he has for now. But we're talking about two 20 year olds who have played 12 and 27 games. Come back when they're both 24 and we'll have a much better idea of what they're going to do with their careers.
The question is has McCartin gone past Boyd, not who will be better in 4 years.

I like him.

Lynch, Mccartin and Wright are all monsters, with good skills and powerful marking. All low possession winners though, and I think will need to work on more than goal scoring to match it with say Hogan.

Kennedy and Franklin are beast athletes, who apply a lot of pressure. They don't need to reach this level, but in todays game of unpredictability, you need the work rate to work back towards defence and receive over the top goals having sprinted forward and exposed their opponents, or intercept marks and defensive turnovers from kick ins and rebound chains to consistently impact.

When Cloke was worked out his game collapsed. People may say the issue was his accuracy, but lets not forget he was a rare contested mark and huge worker. Even Jack, has had to adjust the way he plays.

I think these guys will start kicking goals, but fans should be patient as they will then need to broaden their strengths to match it with the best. Only probably Cameron has the talent to be a low impact, high scoring FF.

The question is has McCartin gone past Boyd, not who will be better in 4 years.
And i answered that in the first 5 words of my post. Apologies for trying to expand upon the most narrow question you could ask just to piss of dogs supporters and watch McCartin beat Boyd in a BF poll. If we wanted to circlejerk about how good McCartin has been in the past few weeks (and he has been fantastic) surely we could do it on our own board.

The only people that think McCartin hasn't gone past Boyd are Bulldogs supporters.

Paddy is improving with each game and showing all the signs of being a real matchwinner in future years.

Will be an exciting player to watch with his ability to pull down big contested pack marks.

He reminds me more of Jarryd Roughead.
He doesn't remind me of Roughead at all.

Lacks the leap, agility and flexibility. Mccartin looks good, but that is a reach.

Haha, this is just sad.

Objectively, McCartin has not gone past Boyd. He's shown signs to suggest he could - his movement is much more natural and he's quite aggressive in his attack on the ball.

Boyd has played a few better games than McCartin played on Saturday, but people are too blinkered by his contract to acknowledge that.

Even if McCartin had gone past him, they've played less than 40 games combined. There's every chance it's a see-sawing affair as they develop, as players around them develop/retire and as they are asked to play different roles.

Haha, this is just sad.

Objectively, McCartin has not gone past Boyd. He's shown signs to suggest he could - his movement is much more natural and he's quite aggressive in his attack on the ball.

Boyd has played a few better games than McCartin played on Saturday, but people are too blinkered by his contract to acknowledge that.

Even if McCartin had gone past him, they've played less than 40 games combined. There's every chance it's a see-sawing affair as they develop, as players around them develop/retire and as they are asked to play different roles.
Not to mention that Boyd has developed his ruck craft, which makes him a lot more valuable to a team in terms of selection and team flexibility, even if it doesn't mean his direct impact on the game is greater (if that makes sense).

Saints fans are kidding themselves if they think McCartin has gone past Boyd ... because he's played a couple of games where he's kicked a goal or two?

And in regards to Boyd's salary... I apologise to fans of all other clubs that the Dogs were never quite crap enough in any given year in that order to draft a Boyd, Hogan or McCartin type. Good thing that we've got balls and we go out and recruit one to zero effect on the salary cap rather than letting the expansion clubs soak up all the talent.

i tend to agree... a better version of mccarthy?
I don't have a good comparison.

He plays a little like Cloke did, but moves well and has good lead and leap, doesn't just wrestle.

I think he and Wright will just crush packs as they get older. Cloke always looked so static or fixed to a straight lead, but burly Mccartin has some movement.

Not sure he will be better than Hogan or Lynch, but he has the ability.

Cameron for me is the weird one. Temperamental, hungry and low impact outside of goal kicking. But he is just a legit freakish talent. Takes hangers, running goals, crazy snaps and crumbs like a small. One day may overtake Eddie as the smartest goal kicker. Reminds me of early Jack, but with a ground level game of the best small. But adds nothing else, and regularly does dumb things. If he can ever iron out the kinks will be the best forward in the AFL or close.

Not to mention that Boyd has developed his ruck craft, which makes him a lot more valuable to a team in terms of selection and team flexibility, even if it doesn't mean his direct impact on the game is greater (if that makes sense).

Saints fans are kidding themselves if they think McCartin has gone past Boyd ... because he's played a couple of games where he's kicked a goal or two?

And in regards to Boyd's salary... I apologise to fans of all other clubs that the Dogs were never quite crap enough in any given year in that order to draft a Boyd, Hogan or McCartin type. Good thing that we've got balls and we go out and recruit one to zero effect on the salary cap rather than letting the expansion clubs soak up all the talent.

except its not just saints fan. it seems neutrals agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back