Is Richmond a genuine threat in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would take this ride every day of the week

Aye. Tigger fans have had a great ride. I think most of us have enjoyed how they have played (except when they are towelling up our Clubs).

Having now accepted the 2021 flag dream is over, I'm interested in what they do for the rest of the season and at the end.

Try and claw our way into 8th spot and get bowled in finals or play the kids and get games into them knowing we probably finish 12th if we do that?

End of season, write the year off and try and go again with what we have with a few tweaks or go full end of 2016 review and make sweeping changes to the assistants, on field and gamestyle?

poor judgement as usual

Meh. Most people admit error.

Brown bagger Fan Boys with their bedroom walls thick with posters of new heroes plastered over the old (eg Walsh over Crippa, Saad over Docherty, McGovern over JSOS etc) do not.

We are done for the year.
Will be interesting to see how we reset.

Will we try to keep having a dip like the Lions and Hawks did after their dynasty?

Or build up for a couple of years before going again? We have a great draft hand this year and may use it to reload for the future.

It will be interesting to see which way we go.

Hoping Melbourne take it home for their long suffering supporters this year.

Will we try to keep having a dip like the Lions and Hawks did after their dynasty?

Or build up for a couple of years before going again? We have a great draft hand this year and may use it to reload for the future.

Its quite interesting, because when i look back at the clubs that have had the most finals success over the last 20 or so years, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong and to a lesser extent the Swans, Richmond really seems to have fallen into the Bris/Hawthorn mold. I hear a lot of tiger fans very bullish about the youth at the Tiges, but what we see in these dynasty clubs is that once the top 5-7 players in the club begin to wane and age, the youth cant handle the pressure and their true ability is exposed. Geelong and the Swans defied this by using a very different system, and i can absolutely see Richmond falling just as hard as Brisbane and the Hawks. Last night showed that when the big tiger players are off.....their youth look pretty ordinary. As opposed to other young sides coming through in the comp, whose youth are thriving with more exposure ie Sydney.

Its quite interesting, because when i look back at the clubs that have had the most finals success over the last 20 or so years, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong and to a lesser extent the Swans, Richmond really seems to have fallen into the Bris/Hawthorn mold. I hear a lot of tiger fans very bullish about the youth at the Tiges, but what we see in these dynasty clubs is that once the top 5-7 players in the club begin to wane and age, the youth cant handle the pressure and their true ability is exposed. Geelong and the Swans defied this by using a very different system, and i can absolutely see Richmond falling just as hard as Brisbane and the Hawks. Last night showed that when the big tiger players are off.....their youth look pretty ordinary. As opposed to other young sides coming through in the comp, whose youth are thriving with more exposure ie Sydney.
Yeah it will be interesting to see the kids develop when they are relied upon to be the number one in their position. You are spot on- more exposure leads to quicker development and finding out whether they are any good.

If the games this weekend go as per the favourites, Richmond will still be 8th at the end of this round.

So they can still be a dark horse as long as they make the 8

If the games this weekend go as per the favourites, Richmond will still be 8th at the end of this round.

So they can still be a dark horse as long as they make the 8
is carlton really favourite against freo?

this week doesnt matter though. even if we do beat collingwood next week, we will lose to geelong and lions in consecutive weeks leaving us on 8-10 and we will be out of the 8 at that point.

lockdowns will hopefully be over by then so we face freo in perth and gws in sydney in the final 4 weeks, and i wouldnt tip us to win those even if they were played here.

best case i see is we win the games we should (thats a pretty loose term atm) against pies, north and hawks, pinch a game against freo/gws, and end up on 12 wins and relying on our pathetic % (after to smashings to cats and lions), and even if we scrape into the 8 have to go to adelaide or play geelong again. thats absolute best case. could easily see us only winning 2-3 games for the rest of the year and finishing 10-12 on the ladder.

is carlton really favourite against freo?

this week doesnt matter though. even if we do beat collingwood next week, we will lose to geelong and lions in consecutive weeks leaving us on 8-10 and we will be out of the 8 at that point.

lockdowns will hopefully be over by then so we face freo in perth and gws in sydney in the final 4 weeks, and i wouldnt tip us to win those even if they were played here.

best case i see is we win the games we should (thats a pretty loose term atm) against pies, north and hawks, pinch a game against freo/gws, and end up on 12 wins and relying on our pathetic % (after to smashings to cats and lions), and even if we scrape into the 8 have to go to adelaide or play geelong again. thats absolute best case. could easily see us only winning 2-3 games for the rest of the year and finishing 10-12 on the ladder.

Yeah the Blues are favourites given its at the MCG.

The rest of your post is the most likely scenario but maybe you can pinch a few of those tougher games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game due to various lockdowns, scheduling etc I'd been to last night since the belting by Sydney, and the one thing I took away was the death of our chemistry, this team is not playing for one another, Richmond were never the most highly skilled team during our run, but they did pride themselves on being a unit, the team was often mocked for showing fun and having a joke on the field, a sense that they were a relaxed team functioning together, all of that is gone, collectively, they looked tired, they looked disjointed, either the toll of the era is pushing through or there is something very wrong evolving behind the scenes. Either way, they don't look or play like they are for each other. Chemistry is way way off.

First game due to various lockdowns, scheduling etc I'd been to last night since the belting by Sydney, and the one thing I took away was the death of our chemistry, this team is not playing for one another, Richmond were never the most highly skilled team during our run, but they did pride themselves on being a unit, the team was often mocked for showing fun and having a joke on the field, a sense that they were a relaxed team functioning together, all of that is gone, collectively, they looked tired, they looked disjointed, either the toll of the era is pushing through or there is something very wrong evolving behind the scenes. Either way, they don't look or play like they are for each other. Chemistry is way way off.

Dimma lost the group when he decided he was too good for Mrs Hardwick and went all in for a doppelganger -15 years of her. In years to come we will learn just how deplorable he actually was around this. We will also learn of all the things that have been covered up at Richmond, the incidents off field are always smoke leading to fire. Look at WC in the early 00's.

Dimma lost the group when he decided he was too good for Mrs Hardwick and went all in for a doppelganger -15 years of her. In years to come we will learn just how deplorable he actually was around this. We will also learn of all the things that have been covered up at Richmond, the incidents off field are always smoke leading to fire. Look at WC in the early 00's.

Bit speculative given the relationship was an open secret prior to winning the 2020 premiership under difficult conditions. Was always going to be raised again if Richmond fell short this year... appears something has disoriented the players in the last three weeks, but it's unlikely to be this, now.

I think the smart thing to do would be to go to the draft this year at least. Then use next year to get a proper gauge of where the list is at and will likely be at in the next few years.

Far too much downside to topping up straight away.

I think the smart thing to do would be to go to the draft this year at least. Then use next year to get a proper gauge of where the list is at and will likely be at in the next few years.

Far too much downside to topping up straight away.
Yup. With 6 picks in the top 50 we should be well placed to get some decent players in for the future.

Having now accepted the 2021 flag dream is over, I'm interested in what they do for the rest of the season and at the end.

Try and claw our way into 8th spot and get bowled in finals or play the kids and get games into them knowing we probably finish 12th if we do that?

End of season, write the year off and try and go again with what we have with a few tweaks or go full end of 2016 review and make sweeping changes to the assistants, on field and gamestyle?

Might have one more year in 2022 and could still pull something off this year. However, Cotch, Dusty, Riewoldt, Edwards, Houli etc are all 30+. Rance is long gone. Even Tom Lynch will be 29 next season..

Richmond have been fascinating to watch the last few years, and it's getting "fascinatingor".

In their favour big time is the steady leadership from Gale and Peggy who have seen this all before, and can be trusted to make rational decisions, unlike a certain club up the road, uhumm. The Tiges still have the cultural dna, and a positive club environment. Do they have the cattle, and the resources to replenish, I reckon they will be back.

Best chance for a team to pinch one from 8th since when.

If they get their sh*t together
I like your optimism Al.

Injuries to key players have been the main issue for us. It's led to a lack of confidence.

Your astute Tiger fan would always say, if we lose big Nank for an extended period, we are in trouble. That's what has happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back