Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jack will have learnt far more this year than he did last.
Last year the whole thing fell in his lap, but this time he's had a far more difficult time and found that the spotlight can be both good and bad.
He's seen Bobby star in the GF, and knows how much more work he has to do.
This season could be the making of him if he responds in the right way.
Go Jack!

He’s a premiership player, and I’m rapt for him and for us, however he’s going to have to find another level (or two) to stay in the side.

He’s not athletically gifted.
He’s not particularly strong.
He’s not particularly good overhead.
He has yet to display an ability to play multiple positions.
He will likely receive fewer kicks on average than every other AFL player from here on out.
His point of difference, being his “footy IQ” was closer to being a weakness than a strength in the GF.

Over to you, Guinea Pig.
Exactly this.

It's been proven time & again that if you don't do the proper prep work (for painting a wall) you put at risk the project's success ..just ask Pendles, one of the great wall painters of our generation.

That said, I could almost care less what he does off-field, if he doesn't improve - see TRS points above - he won't make it.

Footy ain't getting any slower or less physical. Fast transition footy, with 18 players attacking AND defending as a unit, will be even more in vogue & demanding in years to come. If he doesn't improve his physical profile, competitiveness and broaden his game, he will simply not make it.

Pre-season will be very interesting, def a big watch on him. But does sound like he knows he needs to put in the work to be the player he wants to be, good the kid has goals he can work towards.
Needs to get in the gym and get stronger and like he says, he will be getting fitter. He did quite well this 2nd half of the year to get fitter than before, but will need to keep going.

It's all in his hands.

It sounds like you do want a bunch of robots.
Not at all. I love players with a bit of character and I love and cheer Jack's cheekiness on field. We don't want robots, and Fly doesn't want robots. I'm just not impressed by his behaviour leading up to the GF and then mad Monday for the reasons I've outlined.

My family (my sister in particular) knew Darren Millane and Dennis Banks quite well. They got up to all sorts of antics off field, but many of these were hilarious ... especially the time they tried to drive a bus and play 'on the buses' (although it wasn't great at the time for the poor bus driver).

I could provide so many stories about player antics in the 80s and 90s that I found really funny. In fact, there were far fewer robots back then than we see in the modern game.

Imagine how boring a team of Pendlebury’s would be! Besides all the flags

Can you imagine the opposition coach?

“It’s three quarter time and we haven’t laid a tackle yet! What’s wrong with you pricks?”

Not at all. I love players with a bit of character and I love and cheer Jack's cheekiness on field. We don't want robots, and Fly doesn't want robots. I'm just not impressed by his behaviour leading up to the GF and then mad Monday for the reasons I've outlined.

My family (my sister in particular) knew Darren Millane and Dennis Banks quite well. They got up to all sorts of antics off field, but many of these were hilarious ... especially the time they tried to drive a bus and play 'on the buses' (although it wasn't great at the time for the poor bus driver).

I could provide so many stories about player antics in the 80s and 90s that I found really funny. In fact, there were far fewer robots back then than we see in the modern game.
Given how much Jack loves the racing, I would suggest this outfit was planned well in advance, pre-GF trip or not.

Ok - that's the most strange post I've read in some time.

You are comparing what Ginni did with the acts of Millane and Banksy, and saying what Ginni did was worse?

My mind is blown.

I don’t think he would have even played in the grand final if Adams hadn’t been injured,to be honest.Adams could have played the same role as he did,as a small forward,and gone into the midfield as well.He would have given us more flexibility.

I don’t think he would have even played in the grand final if Adams hadn’t been injured,to be honest.Adams could have played the same role as he did,as a small forward,and gone into the midfield as well.He would have given us more flexibility.
Its a moot point. Adams didn't play. Jack did. No point in talking what ifs.
Fly wanted more scoring potency, and Jack had 2 shots at goal (yes missed) but he is one that finds ways to be able to score.

Agree - he doesn't seem like a great decision maker. He was basically last selected......read the room statement by Fly summer it up perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly like to eat our own. The criticism of trivia here is worthy of the Herald/Sun. For what it's worth (admittedly not a lot) I can see Ginnivan in the midfield. His ability to do something with the ball under duress suits that position. He is also a good small forward. He is not Bobby Hill, but we already have one of those. Can't we just move on from his season 1 arrogance and see him for the good player he is now? I look forward to a better year for him next year, and more flexibility in the roles he is given.

We certainly like to eat our own. The criticism of trivia here is worthy of the Herald/Sun. For what it's worth (admittedly not a lot) I can see Ginnivan in the midfield. His ability to do something with the ball under duress suits that position. He is also a good small forward. He is not Bobby Hill, but we already have one of those. Can't we just move on from his season 1 arrogance and see him for the good player he is now? I look forward to a better year for him next year, and more flexibility in the roles he is given.
I think the kid could go one of two ways, think his sh1t don’t stink because he’s made it or he commits 100% and we see where he can get too.

I’m not convinced but I do like that Fly has said he trained his guts out and that’s how he got back in favour. So much upside but lost a trick once they worked out how he was drawing free kicks, the game is better for it.

I think the kid could go one of two ways, think his sh1t don’t stink because he’s made it or he commits 100% and we see where he can get too.

I’m not convinced but I do like that Fly has said he trained his guts out and that’s how he got back in favour. So much upside but lost a trick once they worked out how he was drawing free kicks, the game is better for it.
I fundamentally agree, Horaceg. I feel that, unlike Stephenson, Ginni will apply himself and knuckle down. Perhaps his environment (Fly, Leppa, Bolts, et al) will be a positive influence in that regard. We need to remember that he just just a pup and there is plenty of learning still to be done. He wil mature and I am optomitic that Ginni will be a long-trm prospect for us and develop into a verstaile player. If he does side however, I suspect it will be rapid and unceremonious.

Only a couple of months difference in age to Nick.

He needs to get his priorities right, professional footballer or a knockabout guy. If he chooses the first could be anything, if he chooses the later only has to look within as to why he wasn't.

Club doesn't need distractions after a fantastic year.

Last edited:

He needs to get his priorities right, professional footballer or a knockabout guy. If he chooses the first could be anything, if he chooses the later only has to look within as to why.

Comparing him to Nick is pretty tough, because there aren't many players across the league of any age that apply themselves as professionally as Nick - Pendles is one.
That said, Nick would be Ginni's perfect role model for how to prepare and train.
Let's hope he shadows Nick all summer.

Fair call, but comparisons to Nick are unfair. Nick is the consumate professional from football royalty, with very high expectations on him from birth!
Jack is a young fella from the bush that has made it based on talent and a cheeky attitude. Expectations, I would suggest, have been no where near as high for him and he has probably exceeded them in his own mind, at least. If he gets the right people in his ear and adopys the mentors he could leverage that talent and apply himself to do great things. Given the reports that he did knuckle down and get stuck in during the year I think he can go the next step. Of course, it's entirely up to Jack.

Comparing him to Nick is pretty tough, because there aren't many players across the league of any age that apply themselves as professionally as Nick - Pendles is one.
That said, Nick would be Ginni's perfect role model for how to prepare and train.
Let's hope he shadows Nick all summer.
Fair call, but comparisons to Nick are unfair. Nick is the consumate professional from football royalty, with very high expectations on him from birth!
Jack is a young fella from the bush that has made it based on talent and a cheeky attitude. Expectations, I would suggest, have been no where near as high for him and he has probably exceeded them in his own mind, at least. If he gets the right people in his ear and adopys the mentors he could leverage that talent and apply himself to do great things. Given the reports that he did knuckle down and get stuck in during the year I think he can go the next step. Of course, it's entirely up to Jack.

The matter of age was raised in a previous post but even if I didn't mention Nick. I know of young players in under 18 teams that would give everything up to be on an AFL list.

They train off season as a small group, pay professionals to help them physically (build up strength and endurance), look after diet etc. I think a couple will make it, one will definitely make a list.

Ginnivan has been given a great opportunity, now it is up to him

Last edited:
He’s a premiership player, and I’m rapt for him and for us, however he’s going to have to find another level (or two) to stay in the side.

He’s not athletically gifted.
He’s not particularly strong.
He’s not particularly good overhead.
He has yet to display an ability to play multiple positions.
He will likely receive fewer kicks on average than every other AFL player from here on out.
His point of difference, being his “footy IQ” was closer to being a weakness than a strength in the GF.

Over to you, Guinea Pig.

I think people have mistaken Ginni's speed of mind with footy IQ. We saw how much he initially struggled when moved higher up the ground - he only knew how to play one position at the beginning of the year and it was a position that he wasn't physically suited to. But he learnt and got better.

He's only 20 with lovely skills who puts his head over the footy and who thinks way quicker than most. Watching that twerp from the Cats have such a good year with Ginnis skillset, but extra endurance, makes me think that there is very much a spot for him to be very successful once he's more developed, particularly as he is supposedly a hard worker and thus likely to become more developed.

He needs to get his priorities right, professional footballer or a knockabout guy. If he chooses the first could be anything, if he chooses the later only has to look within as to why he wasn't.

Don't see that Maggie, he is severely limited by his lack of athleticism

I think people have mistaken Ginni's speed of mind with footy IQ. We saw how much he initially struggled when moved higher up the ground - he only knew how to play one position at the beginning of the year and it was a position that he wasn't physically suited to. But he learnt and got better.

He's only 20 with lovely skills who puts his head over the footy and who thinks way quicker than most. Watching that twerp from the Cats have such a good year with Ginnis skillset, but extra endurance, makes me think that there is very much a spot for him to be very successful once he's more developed, particularly as he is supposedly a hard worker and thus likely to become more developed.
He's not fast, except for his mind, but if he builds his strength, he could possibly play inside mid a bit as well as playing forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back