Recommitted Jack Lukosius [Signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Luko as a CHF that hits up Thilthorpe would be pretty mouth-watering.

On paper, yes, however I reckon it'd end a partnership that is worse than the sum of it parts. After all, it falls into the likely trap in Thilthorpes profile, that he's 200+cm/100+kg, he should be the deep forward. Really, that wastes a lot of Thilthorpes best assets.

The thing with Thilthorpe for him to reach the heights he teased this year (something Adelaide's long term premiership hopes depend on) is that he needs to be the CHF. The roaming forward who is effectively allowed to do what he wants (after all, Thilthorpe does boast a monster tank, and a fair bit of aggression/x-factor on top of his size). Luko, if he's a key forward, cuts his lunch so to say as he's also reliant on being a roaming key forward.

We do need to find a partner for Thilthorpe, though likelihood we'd be better served going in the other direction. Looking for, or developing a deeper forward who can survive off being a leadup option, or a contested marking threat.

At this point, if we were to go for Luko, we'd be better looking at committing him to being a tall winger, or half back. There is certainly value in chasing him for those particular roles.

Last edited:
On paper, yes, however I reckon it'd end a partnership that is worse than the sum of it parts. After all, it falls into the likely trap in Thilthorpes profile, that he's 200+cm/100+kg, he should be the deep forward. Really, that wastes a lot of Thilthorpes best assets.

The thing with Thilthorpe for him to reach the heights he teased this year (something Adelaide's long term premiership hopes depend on) is that he needs to be the CHF. The roaming forward who is effectively allowed to do what he wants (after all, Thilthorpe does boast a monster tank, and a fair bit of aggression/x-factor on top of his size). Luko, if he's a key forward, cuts his lunch so to say as he's also reliant on being a roaming key forward.

We do need to find a partner for Thilthorpe, though likelihood we'd be better served going in the other direction. Looking for, or developing a deeper forward who can survive off being a leadup option, or a contested marking threat.
It's not the 90s they'll both be running up and down the field.

It's not the 90s they'll both be running up and down the field.

Of course they will be, however, both styles of forwards have different roles. Your roaming forwards are given more freedom to impact the contest, your deeper forwards are expected to be the front of the line, stretch an opposition defence and to own those deeper areas. Any effective forward line combination is going to have two key forwards with a clear definition of who is expected to do what, and to have the skills to be effective at it.

In this case, you've got two forwards to be reach the absolute heights of their games, need to be playing an almost identical style, and the more talented forward is the one being limited in this move.

At this point, if we were to go for Luko, we'd be better looking at committing him to being a tall winger, or half back. There is certainly value in chasing him for those particular roles.

Last edited:

Of course they will be, however, both styles of forwards have different roles. Your roaming forwards are given more freedom to impact the contest, your deeper forwards are expected to be the front of the line, stretch an opposition defence and to own those deeper areas. Any effective forward line combination is going to have two key forwards with a clear definition of who is expected to do what, and to have the skills to be effective at it.

In this case, you've got two forwards to be reach the absolute heights of their games, need to be playing an almost identical style, and the more talented forward is the one being limited in this move.

I'd rather see Thilthorpe being a Hawkins style athletic monster that owns the forward half and kicks three a game than a Riewoldt type that gets 17 touches. Lukosius isn't suited to playing deep but if you wanted to release Thilthorpe then Luko can rotate onto the wing like you said. If you really want to utilise Thilthorpe for his agility and contest breaking then I guess you'd make him a ruck.

Anyway I'll stop derailing. Excited to watch both talents next year.

Lukosius bought a house in Adelaide last year.
Luke Parker bought a house in Victoria last year about a week before signing on to play his career out in Sydney.

If he was to leave what would it take to get him out of Gold Coast?
Depends what leverage the club he chooses has and how hard and determined he is to get to that club. If that club finishes below GC and near enough to the bottom, they will get him for less as they have the PSD threat. If not, GC would no doubt play hardball and a low 1st round pick or 2 x 1sts would be around the mark I am guessing

Really hard to put a value on Luko. Great vision and kick but seriously soft. His best position will always be as a tall flanker / wing. Key position talk is nonsense.

The Office Nbc GIF

Really hard to put a value on Luko. Great vision and kick but seriously soft. His best position will always be as a tall flanker / wing. Key position talk is nonsense.
It looks like Suns missed your 'nonsense' memo as Lukosius trains with forward line and play in scrimmages as CHF. Time to enjoy Luko and King combo, at least in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like Suns missed your 'nonsense' memo as Lukosius trains with forward line and play in scrimmages as CHF. Time to enjoy Luko and King combo, at least in 2022.
Luko won't be playing CHF, at least not in the traditional way. He'll have to play it like Jack Gunston and roam far and wide to use his strengths and cover his weakness. They'll need another big bloke who can sit under the high balls. If they plsy 2 rucks who can rest forward it could work.

Luko won't be playing CHF, at least not in the traditional way. He'll have to play it like Jack Gunston and roam far and wide to use his strengths and cover his weakness. They'll need another big bloke who can sit under the high balls. If they plsy 2 rucks who can rest forward it could work.
Suns will probably start season with 3 talls forward - King, Luko, Chol/Day. Chol helping out Witts in the ruck. No doubt Luko will we roaming and delivering from the wing a lot. But you will also see him taking marks on the lead, I suspect. That's what he does in scrimmages.

This. He is a Gunston, Lynch (Adelaide) type forward.

Seems like a strange decision after bringing in Chol, Andrew and Casboult. Who will be your designated kicker? Roll Weller and Sharp back to half back? Move Jeffery to CHB? Going to be hard to replace his body of work even if they both thrive just based on the point of difference he was.

Seems like a strange decision after bringing in Chol, Andrew and Casboult. Who will be your designated kicker? Roll Weller and Sharp back to half back? Move Jeffery to CHB? Going to be hard to replace his body of work even if they both thrive just based on the point of difference he was.
From the beginning Suns and Luko were saying he will eventually move forward. I am keen to see how he goes. Suns need to score more and Luko delivering more inside 50 should help.

Andrew is probably a couple of years away from playing AFL. He could start his career in defence. Moyle and Andrew could be a ruck combo in 3-4 years when Witts is done. Casboult is just injury depth. Yes, it looks like Weller is moving back. Powell is a great kick in defence. I expect Sharp occupy one wing, Ellis the other. Not sure where Jeffrey is training this off-season. Yes, he could move back.

From the beginning Suns and Luko were saying he will eventually move forward. I am keen to see how he goes. Suns need to score more and Luko delivering more inside 50 should help.

Andrew is probably a couple of years away from playing AFL. He could start his career in defence. Moyle and Andrew could be a ruck combo in 3-4 years when Witts is done. Casboult is just injury depth. Yes, it looks like Weller is moving back. Powell is a great kick in defence. I expect Sharp occupy one wing, Ellis the other. Not sure where Jeffrey is training this off-season. Yes, he could move back.
pretty sure Jeffery is down back, Weller is our new "quarterback" now.

his field kicking is excellent, what's he like kicking at goal?

The Suns have a proud tradition of missing the memo.

As much as if it is going to work, it's going to be from partnering a Ben King like forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back