Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are making a huge assumption here - namely that we would have got a better deal if clubs knew he was available earlier.
Equally possible is that his 'baggage' was so concerning, that it would have made no difference.
IMO, a rising star getting virtually no interest ( even at a late stage), is a clear red flag.
I think rather than me making an assumption a lot of posters are looking to write history that Stevo is damaged goods and unlikely redeemable hence we got rid of him.

Its pretty clear we had a major salary cap issue. Some players had to go and the 3 that went were the ones with inflated contracts. If you said you think there may not have been interest cause clubs baulked at the hefty long term contracts these players had I would agree. Truth they went on the market late because the problem became larger once the 2021 cap situation was known. There was little interest in any of them (to the extent we are paying Treloar's) and we had to take what we could get.

Other mitigating factor was all clubs have had the cap tightened due to the changes. I played golf with someone who works in Rich admin recently and he went back to work 2 weeks early after Xmas as did the dept he works in as they have to renegotiate all the player contracts to account fo rthe new cap. No one much had any option to squeeze in a Stevo or Phillips at 600K or a Treloar at 900

This is why Stevo is gone. We wouldnt have given up on someone with his ability so easily otherwise

What was Stephenson charged with? Stevo is only young he has time to mature.

I was quoting you about DeGoey

Agree Stevo has time to mature but the club made the decision that he was never going to. Time will tell if that was the right decision but early indications are that he’s going to be a massive headache for North.

I know its not Stevo and if need be can be put in another thread but has Phillips said a word since he was traded?

Well I always found him to be a likeable kid, even though he does make silly off-field mistakes. I wish him the best and hope he becomes a star.

Really came on this year and established himself. Not sure he will be top shelf but very good. IQ is the one I am most excited about. My guess will be Stephenson will have a better career than any of the youngsters at Collingwood.
Stevo has the ability to be top shelf no doubt, IMO he'll never get there though, i predict he'll have a very good 2021 but old habbits will creep back in after that, reckon he'll be delisted within 5 years.

I know its not Stevo and if need be can be put in another thread but has Phillips said a word since he was traded?

Not surprising. Seems to be pretty grounded. Pretty rare for players who are moved on to carry on like Treloar and Stepho did.

Don't usually hear from them until their new club decides to do a puff piece about them.

Agree Stevo has time to mature but the club made the decision that he was never going to. Time will tell if that was the right decision but early indications are that he’s going to be a massive headache for North.
Bullshit. Imagine you did that with Swan or even Degoey himself. Stephenson would’ve been kept if they didn’t stuff up getting Beams on 700k a year and still paying off his wages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3/4 or the players seem like that. When they are off camera you don’t see half of it. Maynard Degoey Elliott just to name a few who would behave like flogs. Doesn’t stop them being good footballers. Just ask Dane Swan.
Agree

As you get older ya don't look at them as heroes ...just like finding out Santa not real..

Having said that if I was young ripping in 500 plus K a year body like a machine and everyone loved me....i probs be a flog too

Can I ask what early indications are there? Genuinely curious, not trolling.

I think rather than me making an assumption a lot of posters are looking to write history that Stevo is damaged goods and unlikely redeemable hence we got rid of him.

Its pretty clear we had a major salary cap issue. Some players had to go and the 3 that went were the ones with inflated contracts. If you said you think there may not have been interest cause clubs baulked at the hefty long term contracts these players had I would agree. Truth they went on the market late because the problem became larger once the 2021 cap situation was known. There was little interest in any of them (to the extent we are paying Treloar's) and we had to take what we could get.

Other mitigating factor was all clubs have had the cap tightened due to the changes. I played golf with someone who works in Rich admin recently and he went back to work 2 weeks early after Xmas as did the dept he works in as they have to renegotiate all the player contracts to account fo rthe new cap. No one much had any option to squeeze in a Stevo or Phillips at 600K or a Treloar at 900

This is why Stevo is gone. We wouldnt have given up on someone with his ability so easily otherwise
Surely the club would have found another solution if they envisaged the same career for him as you do. As for having to scramble once they became aware that Beams' payments had to be included in the cap, I really hope that isn't what happened. There was always a chance that was going to be the case and if there wasn't a better contingency plan than selling top level talent from a position of desperation, well, thats worse than amateur.

Surely the club would have found another solution if they envisaged the same career for him as you do. As for having to scramble once they became aware that Beams' payments had to be included in the cap, I really hope that isn't what happened. There was always a chance that was going to be the case and if there wasn't a better contingency plan than selling top level talent from a position of desperation, well, thats worse than amateur.

Exactly, although regardless of the reason, we were forced to sell top level talent from a position of desperation and therefore at a significantly low return, so either way, it is worse than amateur. The only way to excuse it is if we had a better view of his likely future than North Melbourne, and therefore we sold high. But I think that is extremely doubtful.

Agree

As you get older ya don't look at them as heroes ...just like finding out Santa not real..

Having said that if I was young ripping in 500 plus K a year body like a machine and everyone loved me....i probs be a flog too
Santa’s not real?

I think that's exactly what happened, the club has eventually admitted it. The only mitigating factor is the changes covid caused was the thing that probably ultimately stuffed us. Nonetheless we had to sell talent for nix. We compounded it by lying that this was a ploy to regenerate the list and improve our talent pool. We know that has suffered. We have been forced to take a lot of medium level talent from a draft that most other clubs have pushed away from. We a hoping Hine has worked some magic to recover the ground we have lost. He performed well with the hand he had at the draft

Agree

Trust us, you don't need to be young, ripping in 500 plus K a year, body like a machine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back