Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going on what 1) what Essendon wants/wanted and 2) what Carlisle said he wanted the Dons to get (both pick 5). I'm sorry Jake, but you're not worth that.

Even if he "COULD'VE BEEN" and All Australian (N. Brown, 2015 lol)...for someone who only finished top 6 in his club's B&F once (for that year)...just no.
Don't mean to be a pain but do you have a source of what Carlisle said he wants Essendon to get? Drafting players at a young age is always based on their potential. Not the first time a young KP player has received a high first round selection without a confirmed all Australian selection.

Don't mean to be a pain but do you have a source of what Carlisle said he wants Essendon to get? Drafting players at a young age is always based on their potential. Not the first time a young KP player has received a high first round selection without a confirmed all Australian selection.

True...I'm just saying he's not worth pick 5 (regardless of whether other KPP's have gone for similar picks). I think the Saints can do better holding on to that pick tbh.

True...I'm just saying he's not worth pick 5 (regardless of whether other KPP's have gone for similar picks). I think the Saints can do better holding on to that pick tbh.
I agree but I don't think it's that far off the mark, bombers throw in a sweetener and it should be a done deal in my opinion. Get the value of that pick to a pick 8ish.
As I understand it though saints haven't made an offer so I don't think anyone can be blamed but the saints here

I agree but I don't think it's that far off the mark, bombers throw in a sweetener and it should be a done deal in my opinion. Get the value of that pick to a pick 8ish.
As I understand it though saints haven't made an offer so I don't think anyone can be blamed but the saints here

Well no wonder they haven't. If the Dons want 5 and they Saints don't want to hand 5 over...they don't need to deal (good choice there). Would not give a top 10 pick for him. MAYBE a later first rounder. He just hasn't done enough consistently to warrant a pick that high.

Well no wonder they haven't. If the Dons want 5 and they Saints don't want to hand 5 over...they don't need to deal (good choice there). Would not give a top 10 pick for him. MAYBE a later first rounder. He just hasn't done enough consistently to warrant a pick that high.

That's your opinion and if it is the saints they should walk away today. I disagree with you but a players worth in draft picks can only be defined by what the market is willing to pay. The market is willing to pay two first rounders for him (apparently worth more than pick 5- although I'd rather pick 5). So that's the best indication of his worth at this stage, a better indication than what you or I believe

That's your opinion and if it is the saints they should walk away today. I disagree with you but a players worth in draft picks can only be defined by what the market is willing to pay. The market is willing to pay two first rounders for him (apparently worth more than pick 5- although I'd rather pick 5). So that's the best indication of his worth at this stage, a better indication than what you or I believe

Let's agree to disagree lol.

Trying to make a Dons supporter agree on a reasonable worth of one of their players is impossible anyway (market value or not).

The "shallowness" of this year's draft has just increased the value of players with AFL experience. Many more than Carlisle that are going for more than they should I reckon.

This has always and should have been the case, no surprise. As all reasonable supporters would expect

No it hasn't always been the case at all.

You have had a strategy to do nothing so you can stall the process as much as possible to place the pressure on us and start the threat of PSD.

However all you did was leave the door ajar and Hawthorn kicked it open, walked in and did as they like with your missus.

The vast majority of Essendon supporters have been saying that Carlisle and 23 for 5 is fair and will be done on day 1 but you and the vast majority of your supporters have rebuffed it as massive overs because he is uncontracted and can PSD if he wants.

Now you are trying to say that pick 5 + a sweetener was always the case?

Bullshit.

You had a strategy that was flawed and might cost you a player and no matter what happens has exposed Ameet as at best naive and closer to the mark inexperienced and has been exposed by more experienced/smarter players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drafting and trading are 2 completely different things in this era of the AFL and draft picks worth change with who is in the draft pool and all that.

Gold coasts 10 and 16 are what we are targeting

No we are being reasonable by not paying overs and not jumping too early.

Your club needs to wait and pick 10 for Carlisle will be done there is still a long time to

We need to wait for other deals to be done as those clubs cant trade what they dont have.

There is still a long time to go and trades still need to be done. Pick 10 will be the magic pick imo.
hang on, based on above you are working pick 10 and 16 in one scenario and pick 10 in isolation in another. If it is pick 10 in isolation, Dodoro will pull the trigger on the Hawks deal before you get those ducks in a row. if it will take a week to get 10 and 16 to the bombers Dodoro will pull the trigger on the hawks deal so that he has time to turn a couple of those top 25 picks into a top 10.

Either way you look at it - the Hawks deal is still attractive compared to both. Not that I believe Dodoro 100% but if he is happy to deal with the hawks against the possibility of pick 5, then he will happily take the hawks deal over the Saints pick 10. It screams of the Saints saying "hold on, we are trying to do something, please give us time" while the hawks are saying "f*ck trying, we have done something good and here it is".

This thread isn't about Stringer so I don't need to justify why Id prefer Carlisle... However, for the fact Carlisle is more versatile and go back or forward and stands 200cm Id prefer him.

Carlisle isn't as good as you are making him out to be. Mediocre forward who has had one day out on a makeshift defender with a bung shoulder.

Any big offer is purely on potential. Not output.

Let's agree to disagree lol.

Trying to make a Dons supporter agree on a reasonable worth of one of their players is impossible anyway (market value or not).

The "shallowness" of this year's draft has just increased the value of players with AFL experience. Many more than Carlisle that are going for more than they should I reckon.
I don't see how there can be any disagreement, we are only talking about this years draft, not next years unless future picks are involved. A players worth is reflected by what the market offers. Carlisles worth at this stage is pick 15 and pick 18 in this years draft. That's just fact. Doesn't mater if I think he is worth pick 8 and you only 15- what matters is what the market offers

Carlisle isn't as good as you are making him out to be. Mediocre forward who has had one day out on a makeshift defender with a bung shoulder.

Any big offer is purely on potential. Not output.
Output as a defender is proven

- what matters is what the market offers

That is exactly right. He is only worth what is offered and trying to argue that he is worth this or not worth that is meaningless. That is why I have said all through the thread, it is not about what he is worth - the is no universal answer to that.

It is about how he is valued and every club - because of their life cycle and list requirements is going to value a player like Carlisle differently.

What is the this rubbish about Essendon "pulling the trigger on the deal"? Carlisle is not contracted, so any deal needs his support.

It's all good and well that the club like one deal over the other, but there is to be player consent otherwise the whole thing gets very messy, very fast.

Hawthorn have a very good program and a structured payment system, surely they looked closely at Carlisle before the trade period and opted not to pay carisles asking wage, that doesn't change just because the bombers list management team are using the media to aid in their negotiations.

The only public statements made by the player to date are that he is committed to the saints, this may change, and if it does it opens up a much more competitive process, but for now it's still likely he ends up at the club he's nominated.

Sp Norf get a gun and hand you a Bazooka (Jake)? That makes no sense given their window is now. Stupid move to bolster your main rival IMO. If Jake was to end up at the dees then fair enough... but any advantage will be nullified by you guys getting Jake.
Different needs. They get pace, we get size down back again. They get a skillfull user, something they would like and were shown up to need big time and we get our second tall forward cover that allows us to keep Stratts and Gibbo on the 3rd tall and 3rd man up rebounding roles. Win / win. North probably need the pace and skill more than we need the big guy.

What is the this rubbish about Essendon "pulling the trigger on the deal"? Carlisle is not contracted, so any deal needs his support.

It's all good and well that the club like one deal over the other, but there is to be player consent otherwise the whole thing gets very messy, very fast.

Hawthorn have a very good program and a structured payment system, surely they looked closely at Carlisle before the trade period and opted not to pay carisles asking wage, that doesn't change just because the bombers list management team are using the media to aid in their negotiations.

The only public statements made by the player to date are that he is committed to the saints, this may change, and if it does it opens up a much more competitive process, but for now it's still likely he ends up at the club he's nominated.
Which he has given

That is exactly right. He is only worth what is offered and trying to argue that he is worth this or not worth that is meaningless. That is why I have said all through the thread, it is not about what he is worth - the is no universal answer to that.

It is about how he is valued and every club - because of their life cycle and list requirements is going to value a player like Carlisle differently.
Looks like we agree how about that haha.

Unfortunately for both our clubs st kildas list requirements value pick 5 more than other clubs would. At this stage anyway. Just a trade that may not work given where both clubs requirements are at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back